Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

land beside oldshopping centre in dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

doncarlos wrote: »
    I remember as a Kid my dad telling me that the river was called the Blackwater as it was openly visible on the Greenacres side of the Alphonsus road. Then went underground at the Alphonsus road. Before blakley close was built used to run across it and then at the back of Avondale.
    It was definitely overground behind Avondale up until recently and I would guess that is the first part that is currently overground on it's journey from the Dublin road/Hill St. It is overground at a number of places after that.

I always assumed that it ran along the train tacks as there was a small stream that that ran parallel to them. It would be where the marshes road is now. It cut through Greenacres and then across the Alphonsus road. I could be wrong on this and this could be a completely different stream or even a drainage ditch.
    This is the spot where I thought it crossed the Avenue road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.996429,-6.404017,3a,75y,278.45h,68.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKQg7cz1cA1DTzeoeUfjKzg!2e0

A river defo ran under that - you could walk along it to the left.

There was also defo a stream that rang alongside the ESB/Greenacres side of the railway track - not sure where it went once it reached Oaklawns though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pdog2468

A river defo ran under that - you could walk along it to the left.

There was also defo a stream that rang alongside the ESB/Greenacres side of the railway track - not sure where it went once it reached Oaklawns though.

doesn't that river go over by the houses along long avenue across from the esb... There is a ditch there with a deep river that's wat i was told

pdog2468 wrote: »
    doesn't that river go over by the houses along long avenue across from the esb... There is a ditch there with a deep river that's wat i was told

Not been there is years so not sure but that's what I meant was to the left of that photo - assuming I understand you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pdog2468

Not been there is years so not sure but that's what I meant was to the left of that photo - assuming I understand you properly.

yeap to the left

Now that I think of it, I am not sure if the river did go under the road there. There was also a river down the back of the houses on on the opposite of side of the road to the ESB. This is clear on Google Maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The road at the back of the 'old shopping centre' ;) (aka Dundalk Tesco) linking the Ramparts to the Iron Road is now open.Good luck trying to navigate it first time! :)

10500314_1534246576803863_6633077713268414250_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

The road at the back of the 'old shopping centre' ;)
    My mum referred to the Longwalk SC as the 'old shopping centre' the other day! :eek:

Times are changing... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

So what's peoples opinions on the new Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I don't think much about being forced into their roundabout when coming from the ramparts to get onto Stapleton drive. Just cycled back that way today and whilst I can see the logic behind it, I think there could've been a better solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

No Harp Larger on sale in the new Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Don't like it to be honest, for the size of it there is a lot of space wasted. The clothes section is tiny, homeware, hardware, electrical and toys section also small. When comparing it to when it was in the "old shopping centre" there is far less in it now.

Also from what I could see there is no where for taxis to park when picking people up with there shopping. Wasn't impressed either with the opening yesterday, there was nothing put on for it at all, not even members of staff at the doors to greet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It's fine for a Tesco store. I like the parking being underneath. No more getting wet.

However, in it's day, the old shopping centre was so much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Walked over this morning, its alright, a bit sterile. Is the parking free or is it a Marshes job?

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Walked over this morning, its alright, a bit sterile. Is the parking free or is it a Marshes job?

3 hours free.

The half price fresh pizzas are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

It's fine for a Tesco store. I like the parking being underneath. No more getting wet.

However, in it's day, the old shopping centre was so much more.

Im not being nostalgic, but a full renovation and extension the existing centre on the vast land around with an enticement for many of the previous tenents to retake up units would have been a winner. Keep the mezzanine floor, for example, and that would have served as an entrance to an upstairs 2nd floor of a hardware Tesco department. Add in the new road layout and garage and I think it would have been fanatastic. Now i havent been in yet so i my like the new build!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

3 hours free.
    Think it's only two hours free parking. Apparently there has been over 50,000 people in the store since Saturday. They're expecting an average of 40,000 people per week.

Pighead wrote: »
    Think it's only two hours free parking. Apparently there has been over 50,000 people in the store since Saturday. They're expecting an average of 40,000 people per week.

There is a Euro carparks sign at the entrances to the car parks that states 3 hours free.I checked it again about an hour ago...still the same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tesco can be a bit expensive so beware and watch those prices.

There is a Euro carparks sign at the entrances to the car parks that states 3 hours free.I checked it again about an hour ago...still the same ;)
    Oh that's weird. I have a leaflet here from Tesco saying two hours free. They must have made a mistake.

• Advertisement

Am. I missing something here? Drove there today and could see no way of enforcing a pay per Park system.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Am. I missing something here? Drove there today and could see no way of enforcing a pay per Park system.
    Maybe it's similar to the Longwalk's set up ie a guy going around with his wee machine checking number plates and seeing how long they've been in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Nearly a bad incident at the pedestrian crossing at the entrance to the store in the car park earlier. Without a setdown area a car stopped on the pedestrian crossing to let people out. A car behind moved to overtake the stopped car(moving on to the wrong side of the road obviously). An elderly lady who was using the cossing stepped out obviously not expecting traffic coming from her left in that lane as she crossed toward the door if ye get what I mean. The car that was going around the parked car was obviously irked by the car in front stopping and accelerated off around the parked car just as the lady stepped out, luckily skidded to a stop in time as the old lady put the jets on to get out of the way. Was a close call and couyld have been very nasty. I do not know why people need to be practically driven in the front door of the shop in a covered area and using the crossing as a stopping point. There are no shortage of disabled bays if somone is not particularly mobile and need to minimise the walk from a car to the shop. Also the absence of a set down/pick up area that would take a car off the road is odd and would help prevent such possible accident.

Maybe it's similar to the Longwalk's set up ie a guy going around with his wee machine checking number plates and seeing how long they've been in the car park.

You've to pay in the long walk? :eek: have I been living on the bloody moon? Never seen any parking enforcement there before. Head in the clouds clearly.

The few hour time limit is just to stop commuters parking or whatever. It's rarely and barely enforced.

You've to pay in the long walk? :eek: have I been living on the bloody moon? Never seen any parking enforcement there before. Head in the clouds clearly.
    Well kind off. You have two hours free parking in the longwalk and if your car is there longer than two hours they'll hit you with a fine. As said above this is rarely enforced unless you completely take the piss. I have been hit with a ticket before though for staying a wee bit over the two hours. Think it was a €30 fine.

Well kind off. You have two hours free parking in the longwalk and if your car is there longer than two hours they'll hit you with a fine. As said above this is rarely enforced unless you completely take the piss. I have been hit with a ticket before though for staying a wee bit over the two hours. Think it was a €30 fine.
    That's terrible luck tbh. I know people who left cars for a weekend and got off with it. Though my dad was collecting my mam outside the record sleeve last year and was threatened with a ticket so I assume that was the same jackass who ticketed you. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Nearly a bad incident at the pedestrian crossing at the entrance to the store in the car park earlier. Without a setdown area a car stopped on the pedestrian crossing to let people out. A car behind moved to overtake the stopped car(moving on to the wrong side of the road obviously). An elderly lady who was using the cossing stepped out obviously not expecting traffic coming from her left in that lane as she crossed toward the door if ye get what I mean. The car that was going around the parked car was obviously irked by the car in front stopping and accelerated off around the parked car just as the lady stepped out, luckily skidded to a stop in time as the old lady put the jets on to get out of the way. Was a close call and couyld have been very nasty. I do not know why people need to be practically driven in the front door of the shop in a covered area and using the crossing as a stopping point. There are no shortage of disabled bays if somone is not particularly mobile and need to minimise the walk from a car to the shop. Also the absence of a set down/pick up area that would take a car off the road is odd and would help prevent such possible accident.

I was there on the first Saturday it opened, people were driving around looking for spaces and then just shot into the wheelchair spaces! That desperate to get into tesco :confused:

It'd be interesting to know how it's enforced. As far as I know private companies can't access public records on vehicle ownership. So short of saying "you owe us thirty quid" I'm not sure what else they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

It'd be interesting to know how it's enforced. As far as I know private companies can't access public records on vehicle ownership. So short of saying "you owe us thirty quid" I'm not sure what else they can do.

Can they not legally clamp your car?

Advertisement