Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fold Mountains and Mid Ocean Ridges..?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Has anyone a easy enough (but you know still the key terms and all ) explanation for how fold mountains and mid ocean ridges were formed? My book isn't very clear:/ (or a link to a website with a good explanation)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

claryfray wrote: »
    Has anyone a easy enough (but you know still the key terms and all ) explanation for how fold mountains and mid ocean ridges were formed? My book isn't very clear:/ (or a link to a website with a good explanation)
    When two plates move towards each other and collide, the rocks tend to buckle and crumble upwards into a series of folds. This happens in the same way a tablecloth wrinkles as it is pushed across a table.

From my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

claryfray wrote: »

Divergent boundaries, plates move away from each other, magma spills onto the ocean floor where it hardens, more magma is deposited, it builds up. Eg Iceland. Go in more detail now you have a basis.

Fold mountains should be well explored in your book. If not search it on YouTube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

Divergent boundaries, plates move away from each other, magma spills onto the ocean floor where it hardens, more magma is deposited, it builds up. Eg Iceland. Go in more detail now you have a basis.

Fold mountains should be well explored in your book. If not search it on YouTube :D

Okay thanks! Yeah my book has a sentence but I don't think that's enough :P

Advertisement