Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Geography Before/After **

• 06-06-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

LETS DO THIS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

How many essays are people learning? It's going to be a long night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

This.

This worries me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I have never felt so unprepared for an exam in my life.

No joke. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Feel so f*cked for this. So much to learn. It can easily be a good, bad or average paper depending what's on there. There's just too much essays to be learned :/
    Hopefully the biome and short questions will be nice to bring the marks up though ! :)

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to learn my biome off perfectly as well. This could go either way really, totally depends on the 30m Q's..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

F*** this :(

I'll be happy to scrape 50 points, inc the project

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Not half prepared ...Dreading it ...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Have everything covered as much as possible except geoecology :P do you think I'll definitely be covered if I just do the five biome essays I've done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MartyP

really ****ting for this, such a long day tomorrow. wrecked after today. hope geo goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Know the physical and human section pretty well, just need some stuff on the regional and refresh the biome, think it will be a good exam. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Guys, I sat this exam last year and was convinced I had gotten a D in the paper. Was seriously disappointed and peeved off afterwards. I ended up with a B1 in the honours paper. My advice is, even if the questions you prepared don't come up (I had to make up EVERY section apart from the Physical geography last year), write down as much as you can. If it's any way relevant, they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and the SRP. Remember diagrams/statistics, they'll fill up your SRP count easily (but no more than 2 per answer). Don't be afraid to use bullet points either if you're stuck for time, I did last year and it didn't effect me. Also don't bother colouring/perfecting diagrams for physical, they don't expect art!

I flew through the shorts to make up extra time for the Option essay and they help you settle in and feel confident at the beginning of the exam.

Apart from that, watch the time and keep a cool head, don't panic even if you feel fcuked in the exam (as I really did last year).

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lads for the sketch maps on the regional section how important is shape, like if you have all the features?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

buyer95 wrote: »
    Lads for the sketch maps on the regional section how important is shape, like if you have all the features?

They're actually not too strict on it. In my pre my sketch-map of Ireland looked Great Britain and I got 20/20 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Anyone have any ideas what to focus on for short questions? They normally ask stuff on physical it seems mainly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hhkukhhu

How many geoecology questions are people covering? I only know characteristics of a biome and characteristics of a soil really well then half know soil impact of human activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

pens, pencil, colouring pencils, ruler ,rubber, am i forgetting something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I'm ok for regional Geography. It's physical stuff that I'm patchy on. Plate tectonics, volcanoes, earthquakes, rivers + rock cycle I'm ok on. It's just the bloody karst surfaces, glaciation and all that weathering ****e I could never get my head around. Biomes and soils are ok as long as a decent biome question comes up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Might be worth bringing your calculator in for the short questions.

Might be worth bringing your calculator in for the short questions.

knew there was something!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

I can learn stuff on pretty quick when I put a heading and 10 bullet points and each section of a question , was wondering does it matter if we answer essay type questions in bullet points.. I could write them down and then answer questions but can do it directly from my head ha.. Waste touch time too

• Advertisement

what did that jackson fella predict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Isotonic

I can learn stuff on pretty quick when I put a heading and 10 bullet points and each section of a question , was wondering does it matter if we answer essay type questions in bullet points.. I could write them down and then answer questions but can do it directly from my head ha.. Waste touch time too

Bullet points are fine but they have to be developed. 1 line is not an SRP unless it contains a stat

I know all of my essays half well now. I could write a half decent answer on whatever comes up. So can anyone help me prioritize here? Like if there are some really likely essays then I want to know them inside out. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'd advise you all to revise glaciers, I think that got me last year in the short questions. Also, aerial photographs. Remember the difference between stalagmites and stalactites: tights go down. ;) And clints are the rocks, grikes are the gaps - I won't tell you how I chose to remember this piece of information :pac:, so just think G for gap.

And yeah same as PF I had to lie through the whole exam. :D Thought I got a C3 but ended up with an A2, though I think it was marked extremely generously. I did the atmosphere bit and made things up. Like completely lied and still got 62/80 or something like that. It won't work for Geoecology because it's so widely done, but for regional etc you can probably make up a few statistics, road names etc if you have to.

Another thing is last year they took new questions directly from the syllabus and it was stuff a lot of people just didn't cover. :/ One I remember was corporate strategies in an MNC, so I lied and said Dell's strategy was "saving money" (whose isn't :pac:) and then just explained their operations. Twist the question to suit yourself if you can, but within reason.

If I can get through geography without crying, so can you. :P

Oh and one last thing, if you're answering a question on landforms write EVERYTHING you can think of if you're running short on points. If it's karst, talk about carbonation in as much detail as you can. Always give name/process/example/diagram before anything else, it's 10 marks in the bag and any example counts - I did a beach and my example was the local one, even if the correcter might live miles away and not know about it. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

The amount we have to learn and write out for tomorrow is crazy. It's like an English paper 3. Gold help me if characteristics of a biome or human influence doesn't come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The very best of luck to everyone doing geography tomorrow! :D I know you'll think I'm crazy but I'd love to be there again ha.

I'll never forget the Thursday night I put in last year for that exam. I did sweet damn all maths paper 1 because I was focused so much on geography. I remember finishing up at 5 in the morning and then getting up at half 7 again. It was madness but well worth it and was alot more interesting than other subjects :P

Do not worry or panic if you think you don't know your stuff too well. I was the exact same. I kept losing the plot this time last year because I couldn't rattle off fact after fact. Although there is unreal emphasis on knowing as much as possible about each topic to get the marks, do not worry. It's always the case that you know more than you think. And when you're in the exam tomorrow, it'll be fairly easy to make up a few extra points if needed. Throw down anything at all relevant to the topic at all and you're going to get marks somewhere. I remember even taking info from the short questions and putting it into a long question which resulted on me adding more common knowledge points as well. JUST HAVE YOUR HEAD SCREWED ON. Geography is a fairly easy exam as long as you do your stuff. Learn as much as possible. Don't rely on predictions completely. I knew every single topic possible for geography and I didn't even know them perfectly but I didn't need to. The ability to adapt in this exam is crazy. If you know a series of words for every essay then it's just pieces of a puzzle really. That's how I saw it and it worked brilliantly.

Write as much as possible for everything. Watch your time but you'll be able to make it up in places so make sure you get in all your points plus an extra one here and there just for good measure.

Once again do not panic if you don't know everything perfectly. If you have the gist of every topic you'll do very very well. Keep going over your stuff. It'll sink in to your subconscious mind and it'll be ready for you to use tomorrow :)

Ye'll all do very good. I felt just like ye last year, probably worse and I did fine. I was sh*tting it for Geography because I was relying so badly on it. I didn't sleep the night before and was in a state doing the exam. But it was bliss when I was in the centre because I knew I made an effort. As soon as I handed up my paper I knew I had my A1....and I was right.

Oh and write as damn fast as you can for Geography. My hand was in intense pain after the exam.... I had tablets ready and all after because I knew that pain was what I needed to get me the most marks possible. I've average enough writing but mine was terrible in the exam but I didn't care because the examiner will make an effort if they see your effort on the page :P

This exam is well worth staying up late for guys. It is simple points when you really bust your lungs.

Good luck :)

None of the 30 markers need to be an essay according to edco papers? They are called "Structured" so as long as they have a structure, you get marks.
    Also I am completely ****ed for this exam.
    Our teacher says a page is fine for 30m yet the other one says 2 pages?
    I'm freaking out here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

i suggest only using them at the end after you have checked evrything

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

David1994 wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas what to focus on for short questions? They normally ask stuff on physical it seems mainly!

my grinds teacher told me it was a guarantee for both coastal features and glacial features to be either an 8m or a 20m...how he knows this I don't know but he said it. Don't blame me if its wrong :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

None of the 30 markers need to be an essay according to edco papers? They are called "Structured" so as long as they have a structure, you get marks.
    Also I am completely ****ed for this exam.
    Our teacher says a page is fine for 30m yet the other one says 2 pages?
    I'm freaking out here!
    I did mine in bullet points. Some people say that makes the examiners seem stupid, as in "here, let me help you find my SRPs", but I felt it just made it nicer to look at. It also gets rid of that X amount of pages BS - one page is enough if you have 15 lines with one SRP in each. Usually that does take 2 pages if theres a diagram though.

Advertisement