Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Geography Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

Canard wrote: »
    I did mine in bullet points. Some people say that makes the examiners seem stupid, as in "here, let me help you find my SRPs", but I felt it just made it nicer to look at. It also gets rid of that X amount of pages BS - one page is enough if you have 15 lines with one SRP in each. Usually that does take 2 pages if theres a diagram though.
    My regional work is basically full sentence bullet points that I've learned off ? I could do that quite easily if its the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My regional work is basically full sentence bullet points that I've learned off ? I could do that quite easily if its the case
    Yeah you could do that as an essay or as bullet points :) I prefer bullet points, it means when you get 15/16 you can just move on. I'd also worry that an examiner might not see all the SRPs (e.g. if you had 2 but they were both in one sentence), but that was just because my teacher was like that haha.

Canard wrote: »
    Yeah you could do that as an essay or as bullet points :) I prefer bullet points, it means when you get 15/16 you can just move on. I'd also worry that an examiner might not see all the SRPs (e.g. if you had 2 but they were both in one sentence), but that was just because my teacher was like that haha.

I'm just worried that I'd underestimate an SRP and would end up with a lack of bullet points

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

007driver wrote: »
    i suggest only using them at the end after you have checked evrything

yea im only gonna colour diagrams at the end but you would need them to show thing in the sketch map? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Sean1996

For the long questions i only know volcanoes,fold mountains,eathquakes - sedimentary,basalt and granite - primary in brazil and also migration in brazil - i know the gda also is this any good? what do i need to brush up on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dncl

For the maps should I use graph paper or normal booklet paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm just worried that I'd underestimate an SRP and would end up with a lack of bullet points
    Yeah that can be a problem. That's why it's best to aim for around 20 if you can. Basically, if it adds to the understanding of the question it's an SRP. :) For example, a regional Q on an urban area- "The region I have studied is Dublin" - this is informative. "This is the capital of Ireland" - irrelevant to the question most of the time. Saying something like "The weather in the Mezzogiorno is very good, so X and Y crops grow there" would maybe get you marks for the crops, but something like "The temperature range of X-Y degrees gives rise to various crops, such as X, Y and Z" is much better and would probably get you 4 marks. It's hard to tell, no doubt, but imo it's no harm to lay it out in bullets either way because it looks better to me.

Oh and to the above poster - graph paper. It's annoying, but marks go for it.

dncl wrote: »
    For the maps should I use graph paper or normal booklet paper?

we have to use graph paper, u lose marks if u do it in the normal booklet, or so my teacher told us anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Really, graph paper for maps? Our teacher never told us that. :(
    Will keep that in mind tomorrow.

Really, graph paper for maps? Our teacher never told us that. :(
    Will keep that in mind tomorrow.

wait no i think im thinking of something else :/ im starting to lose my mind :P

• Advertisement

So don't use graph paper for maths? Whatttt. Safe to say I am suitably confused now. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I'm now confident in a soil composition question so I will be praying that comes up as I don't have time to learn a biome in detail!

I still have the whole human section to revise, it's a complete loss to me it flies over my head. Any tips? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

None of the 30 markers need to be an essay according to edco papers? They are called "Structured" so as long as they have a structure, you get marks.
    Also I am completely ****ed for this exam.
    Our teacher says a page is fine for 30m yet the other one says 2 pages?
    I'm freaking out here!

Don't base your answers on length, the examiners are looking for SRPs.

So don't use graph paper for maths? Whatttt. Safe to say I am suitably confused now. :P

maps maths geography and graphs are all flying around in my head im sorry :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My teacher told us she has seen markers dishing out the marks and literally handing them out. Also in SQ write anything even if you are unsure as they say in some marking scheme accept ALL answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Hey guys this is the predictions list put up by that Eoin Jackson guy, no idea how accurate he is but it is better than nothing for some last minute cramming. :) Will have to zoom in a little to read it clearly, and the Human section is the sort of greyed out one.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ed7po3r8364c6ec/~2013+Geography+%28H%29+topics.doc

I think im just gonna learn sample answers on what he predicted for human at this stage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I've changed to Economic geography now. Theres like 12 hours to the exam but I do business and its SERIOUSLY similar to the ABQ Sections that are up this year and it seems way easier than human.

I'm gonna have a go at it anyway! Be grand.

Should I be covered enough if I learn these for geoecology?
    Characteristics of Brown earth Soils
    Characteristics of a Biome
    Human interference with a biome

i have WOI,Paris and India done for Regional
    And I Know my physical well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MartyP

if biome or human influence on soil does not come up i will kill myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

peekachoo wrote: »
    I think im just gonna learn sample answers on what he predicted for human at this stage??

A lot of the human section overlap with things such as migration/overpopulation and urban development/land use models. It is kind of like the regional section in that you can come up with your own SRPs if you feel stuck. But yeah if you feel that is your weakest then learn off some samples, they are pretty limited in what they can ask so anything you look at is a relatively safe use of time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    I've changed to Economic geography now. Theres like 12 hours to the exam but I do business and its SERIOUSLY similar to the ABQ Sections that are up this year and it seems way easier than human.

I'm gonna have a go at it anyway! Be grand.

Should I be covered enough if I learn these for geoecology?
    Characteristics of Brown earth Soils
    Characteristics of a Biome
    Human interference with a biome

i have WOI,Paris and India done for Regional
    And I Know my physical well.

For regional you should cover the effects the enlargement of the E.U has had on ireland and culture in India

keep studying now for a couple of hours or get up at 6 and put in an hour or 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

For regional you should cover the effects the enlargement of the E.U has had on ireland and culture in India

Thanks! :D

Lads could any of you see if you can identify any pitfalls here, or areas I've overlooked, or anything you think I should add in? Also, if I'm doing anything to excess either, I don't want to stay up past 1 if I don't have to. :/

Right so I know most of my physical. The only thing that will through me there is an awkward Karst question (I know limestone formation, carbonation, pavement and cavern?) or the formation of metamorphic rocks, I have very little on that. An awkward EQ/Volcanic question could through me either but I know the basics there and could wing it. Fairly confident on my interaction with rock cycle, interaction with process (we did LSD, construction of groynes and all, is that sufficient?) and all the basic essays like the plate tectonic ones, and I know one feature (meander) but I need to go over my second (waterfall).

For regional I am sorted for Primary, secondary, tertiary in the West and Dub, need to glance back over my growth of Dublin essay. I am going to look over India now and at least one pri/sec/tert/culture/pop distribution and growth of an urban centre for european regions.

For economic I am confident with the map questions, I know EU policy fairly well, my MNC essay is weak though might need to go over it, Conflict between ec and environ concerns I have fairly well, Colonisation & Globalisation I have the bones of but need a bit more detail, Fossil Fuels I kind of know, same with Sustainable Dev. Am I correct in thinking that if they ask about a developed economy I can re-hash my regional points and talk about trans/tourism in France? Then I just need to learn that industrial decline bit, I don't know that at all.

Finally, for geoecology, all I know to a full-marks standard so far is characteristics of a biome. I don't want to risk throwing away 80m so I had planned to learn Human impact on both biomes and soils and then maybe one soil question, to cover me.

Sorry about all this. I am happy to help out as well as be helped out for the next hour or two while I am still here. :P

(I'm hoping to get by the short Q's and 20m bits on what I already know. I don't have much time to prioritise them, but if anyone has specific tips or areas of interest I'll look over them)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Thanks! :D Did Dan tip that to come up? :)

Well the impacts of the enlargement of the E.U come up every second year so yeah :P he also tipped how the population distribution in a European region you have studied has been influenced by the regions level of economic development as it came up for Ireland last year and India the year before :P. If you need any essays I have most of them so I can give them to you or whatever (for physical, regional, human and geoecology)

Well the impacts of the enlargement of the E.U come up every second year so yeah :P he also tipped how the population distribution in a European region you have studied has been influenced by the regions level of economic development as it came up for Ireland last year and India the year before :P. If you need any essays I have most of them so I can give them to you or whatever (for physical, regional, human and geoecology)

I have a population distribution essay for the Mezzogiorno but it's more geared at how the landscape and climate have affected the population distribution, not much about economic. Do you have an answer prepared for that? :/

I have a population distribution essay for the Mezzogiorno but it's more geared at how the landscape and climate have affected the population distribution, not much about economic. Do you have an answer prepared for that? :/

Could you just talk about since its a peripheral landscape with not much jobs and a lack of economics etc etc the population is widely spread out, not that large, stuff like that? (off the top of my head sorry if that doesn't make sense :-P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Does anybody else find the sketch maps bloody impossible! I can never get the shapes right, or mark out the BMW/GDA split right. Fecking lines, all over the place.

peekachoo wrote: »
    Could you just talk about since its a peripheral landscape with not much jobs and a lack of economics etc etc the population is widely spread out, not that large, stuff like that? (off the top of my head sorry if that doesn't make sense :-P )

Actually, now that you mention it, that would probably work. My essay does make reference to the agriculture (or mainly, the lack thereof) as a result of the climate/landscape, which is an economic activity, so I'll get away with it as long as emphasize the economic bits, surely. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Lads could any of you see if you can identify any pitfalls here, or areas I've overlooked, or anything you think I should add in? Also, if I'm doing anything to excess either, I don't want to stay up past 1 if I don't have to. :/

Right so I know most of my physical. The only thing that will through me there is an awkward Karst question (I know limestone formation, carbonation, pavement and cavern?) or the formation of metamorphic rocks, I have very little on that. An awkward EQ/Volcanic question could through me either but I know the basics there and could wing it. Fairly confident on my interaction with rock cycle, interaction with process (we did LSD, construction of groynes and all, is that sufficient?) and all the basic essays like the plate tectonic ones, and I know one feature (meander) but I need to go over my second (waterfall).

For regional I am sorted for Primary, secondary, tertiary in the West and Dub, need to glance back over my growth of Dublin essay. I am going to look over India now and at least one pri/sec/tert/culture/pop distribution and growth of an urban centre for european regions.

For economic I am confident with the map questions, I know EU policy fairly well, my MNC essay is weak though might need to go over it, Conflict between ec and environ concerns I have fairly well, Colonisation & Globalisation I have the bones of but need a bit more detail, Fossil Fuels I kind of know, same with Sustainable Dev. Am I correct in thinking that if they ask about a developed economy I can re-hash my regional points and talk about trans/tourism in France? Then I just need to learn that industrial decline bit, I don't know that at all.

Finally, for geoecology, all I know to a full-marks standard so far is characteristics of a biome. I don't want to risk throwing away 80m so I had planned to learn Human impact on both biomes and soils and then maybe one soil question, to cover me.

Sorry about all this. I am happy to help out as well as be helped out for the next hour or two while I am still here. :P

(I'm hoping to get by the short Q's and 20m bits on what I already know. I don't have much time to prioritise them, but if anyone has specific tips or areas of interest I'll look over them)

Just wondering do you have an idea of isostasy? I hate it but I quickly learned Sue Honan's answer in case I'm stuck and have to answer on it!

Advertisement