Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Geography Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

David1994 wrote: »
    Just wondering do you have an idea of isostasy? I hate it but I quickly learned Sue Honan's answer in case I'm stuck and have to answer on it!

I have a vague knowledge of it, but nothing concrete. I have a good sample essay here that I was sent by a fellow boardsie that I could learn off. Is it likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I have a vague knowledge of it, but nothing concrete. I have a good sample essay here that I was sent by a fellow boardsie that I could learn off. Is it likely?

I dunno all I know I've heard a good few people on here and in school thinking it might come up. Though if it does come surely the other part of the question will be nice? :D

Also does anyone thinking land uses in a city is likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I'm hoping for isostasy to come up...

/runs away

Right, I may learn that then just in case. I want to give myself as much choice as I can muster. I can feel myself fading already here, might need to call it a night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

God all ill be using tomorrow is my common sense and hardly any learned srps I reckon :/
    As soon as geography is over it will be a huge relief for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Right, I may learn that then just in case. I want to give myself as much choice as I can muster. I can feel myself fading already here, might need to call it a night :(

Just so you are not stuck.
    I was planning on staying up another hour or two but I feel I have enough knowledge at this stage to be grand :cool: The alarm will be set for 7 though to quickly go over everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

peekachoo wrote: »
    I'm hoping for isostasy to come up...

/runs away

If Isostacey comes up between a nice doable question I'm going to cry I can't figure it out at all >.<

I was aiming for the A1 and I did learn most of the stuff as we were taught it, but it's all just falling out of my head now and I'm worried. Think I should probably just do geoecology and then sleep on it. I need my brain for maths.

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    If Isostacey comes up between a nice doable question I'm going to cry I can't figure it out at all >.<

less of that isostacey crack out of you!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

What's with all the isostasy hate? :P It's hard to get your head around, I think the hardest part is incised meanders (could never get my head around how that happens) but if you just learn it off and regurgitate it it's not too bad. :) I had notes that explained it well, sadly I don't have them anymore but it said to think of it like a dog on a really springy mattress. It pushes the springs down, but when it leaves, the tension is relieved and the mattress slowly rises back up. Same idea with the land. Imagine if someone marked a few intervals along where the mattress is rising - those are knickpoints. Where the dog's two front paws were, those areas would rise at quite a similar rate and look similar, like flood plains (terraced plains I think is the real term?).

I dunno if that helps you to imagine it, but it's really not too bad a question since there are so many diagrams etc to put in. It's long-winded but it came up in 2009 and 2011 so it could come up again, hopefully now you can all be a little more confident in it and waffle the rest. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Has any body got an isostasy essay floating around? Would really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    Has any body got an isostasy essay floating around? Would really appreciate it :)

i have one if you wanna give me your email

Wrote out a list of the essays I'm least familiar with to look over tomorrow morning but for now I think I'm going to call it a night and hope for the best. Good luck everybody, let's hope for a fair paper. <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

peekachoo wrote: »
    less of that isostacey crack out of you!! :P

It does it on autocorrect now ;D

Anyways best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Hope the paper is grand for us all ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Sean1996

jesus im still up :( ive got urban growth in sao paulo down to a tee, beach, characteristics of a biome, igneous rocks, gda and bmw, primary activities in brazil and tertiary in ireland ahhh will this be enough??? :) also short q's and maps im not too bad at :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I'm calling it a night. Up early to look at short q's and go over things though. Haven't looked at maths, thank god it's pass and I'm not counting it! Goodnight, and good luck all for tomorrow,

buyer95 wrote: »
    I'm calling it a night. Up early to look at short q's and go over things though. Haven't looked at maths, thank god it's pass and I'm not counting it! Goodnight, and good luck all for tomorrow,

good luck lad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Oh god, what has my life came to? I'm studying Geography and playing deal or no deal on Paddy Power at 2 in the morning.

Oh god, what has my life came to? I'm studying Geography and playing deal or no deal on Paddy Power at 2 in the morning.

haha same only difference is im high as a kite on coffee and the radio is on hahaha, this time tomorrow bud youll look back and laugh at what we put ourselves through haha

"Up all night to get lucky", is slowly coming my theme song of the LC

Let's pray for a repeat of 2011s paper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

You know your life is pretty sad when you are praying to write 6 pages on a soil

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I have time for one more option.. Humans conserving soil or humans impacting the biome?

deise_girl wrote: »
    I have time for one more option.. Humans conserving soil or humans impacting the biome?

there's apparently gonna be 2 biome questions so I'd say the biome one :)

Anyway best of luck with it lads, lord knows we need it! There will be smoke coming out of my pen before half 12 today. Just imagine, never having to study geoecology again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

I am committed to spewing as much BS as possible for this exam, every little thing that comes to mind is going down in case it is an SRP. Every bit counts :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

WHAT A PAPER
    C2/C1 easily. I answered just about every question on the paper. I was so nervous before the test, I was sure I was going to fail.

Feelsgoodman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Very good paper, I lost a 20 marker in physical and a 30 marker in human but everything else was brilliant. Easy short questions, 3 pages on the biome and a page and a three quarters on everything else plus the odd diagram. Easily a B paper if the project was good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I did just under two pages on the 80 mark final question. I did the "arguments for and against international aid". I was stuck for ideas and repeated myself fairly often, but i think i got 45 marks at the least. Hopefully more....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Nice paper. Could answer all sections in the questions I done except I had to use my own knowledge for se questions and not learnt off srps such as the question on distribution of population in a European region ( I chose mezzegiorno) and changes in migration in Ireland since the 1950's

got 3 pages of the biome done, had to talk sh*te for the last 30 marker but id say id get 16/30 quite a good paper got geothermal energy, waterall, mezz. now maths -_- i hate maths hahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Whistlingmilk

Does anyone know what the 3 Geoecology questions were?

Advertisement