Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Geography Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Does anyone know what the 3 Geoecology questions were?

2 on soils and 1 on a biome. The biome was how did the climate influence the soils and vegetation in a biome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Can't remember the exact phrasing but there was 2 soil and 1 biome, pretty pitiful attempt at messing up the predictability lol, but the biome question was describe the climate of the biome and how it influences the soil and plants present. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Funny how both in my pre and today there was one question in each section I could answer fine but woulda been barely scraping passes if I chose any the others.
    Overall though really happy especially because of the amount I was panicking for it :)

Soil one, was about conserving soil and desertification
    Biome was climate affecting soil and vegetation
    Soil two, was you ere given certain soil factors and had to discuss a certain number of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Very disappointed with how I performed. Would be lucky to get a B, and I was aiming for an A.

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Funny how both in my pre and today there was one question in each section I could answer fine but woulda been barely scraping passes if I chose any the others.
    Overall though really happy especially because of the amount I was panicking for it :)

Same for me although I had to leave out an A and B part so lost 50 marks straight away :/, but most of it was very easy to talk about so hopefully near full marks in what I wrote. :) Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and that is a lot since I couldn't sleep last night. lol :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Thought it was a nice exam, I didn't really know the geoecology but thats my fault, they were nice questions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Am I the only one who dispised that paper? I found it seriously hard. Answered everything i think i got most of it right but I don't even know. Was expecting an A or high B but now id be happy to get a low B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Very disappointed with how I performed. Would be lucky to get a B, and I was aiming for an A.
    Ah, I'm sure you did better than you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Am I the only one who dispised that paper? I found it seriously hard. Answered everything i think i got most of it right but I don't even know. Was expecting an A or high B but now id be happy to get a low B

This is exactly how I feel.

Did anyone else think the short questions were difficult? One of the questions with 4 pictures? I couldn't make them out at all.

• Advertisement

andrew369 wrote: »
    Same for me although I had to leave out an A and B part so lost 50 marks straight away :/, but most of it was very easy to talk about so hopefully near full marks in what I wrote. :) Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and that is a lot since I couldn't sleep last night. lol :o

Yea well I fluffed some of it tbf. Like a short question on faulting, I didnt really have clue or a C part on population distribution.. But I think it was alright.

Oh god yea I had only a couple hours sleep and totally sacrificed maths for this exam, so Id have been gutted to do badly

This is exactly how I feel.

Did anyone else think the short questions were difficult? One of the questions with 4 pictures? I couldn't make them out at all.

Ya some of the short questions were preculiar alright. Was hard to make some of them out with I thought they were fair short questions over all

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Tougher Exam Than Last Year For me.

I really struggled with the faulting question and that dodgy part ii on the human elective about settlement patterns.

Was Hoping for an A1 but now i reckon I'l get the same as last year (B3) or B2. More than likely the B2.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea well I fluffed some of it tbf. Like a short question on faulting, I didnt really have clue or a C part on population distribution.. But I think it was alright.

Oh god yea I had only a couple hours sleep and totally sacrificed maths for this exam, so Id have been gutted to do badly

Yeah that short question on faulting caught me up too. I guessed with some tectonic terms hoping it was similar, but I really wanted to do erosion feature and geothermal energy so was worth it. And I had to think about that population distribution too, I twisted it into a general essay on the negative aspects of Mezzogiorno, throwing in some things from cultural, secondary, tourism, migration and general waffle. :P Anyone know what that B part question on resources influencing the development of a population was? Never seen that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

found the exam very hard, questions were all over the place. Nothing about comparing west and GDA or not much on Waterfalls. ( if anything ). For me the exam was a bit all over the place and didnt have much structure, looked like it was just thrown together.

Jordan537 wrote: »
    found the exam very hard, questions were all over the place. Nothing about comparing west and GDA or not much on Waterfalls. ( if anything ). For me the exam was a bit all over the place and didnt have much structure, looked like it was just thrown together.

Was there not a question of the paper for a landform formed by erosion? I thought there was anyways I done a waterfall with diagrams? :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

Very content with the paper (apart from the Human Elective. Thought I was covered, turns out I wasn't)

Biome question was nice enough, I was messy with my timing though and only got three and 3/4 pages (I have large enough handwriting tbh), so...

Short questions were grand, physical was great, regional was AMAZING and the rest was "good - quite good".

I'd like to get a B3 <3

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Was there not a question of the paper for a landform formed by erosion? I thought there was anyways I done a waterfall with diagrams? :s

There was

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

For the socio-economic Q for regional I just talked about how the West of Ireland is a peripheral region will I be okay :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MartyP

messed up pretty bad, skipped part C of one question. timing was thight. did ok in short questions and parts a and b in the long. the biome was ok. ran out of time su used bullet points for last page. feeling down. i know i passed but dont think ill get a C1 i wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

couldn't be happier :D
    I feel like I won the winning streak, I learned off a couple essays in the last few days and they're the exact ones that came up!! Ridiculously lucky!
    Waterfalls/folding/human interaction with rocks was the dream physical question for me.

So happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

That wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting it to be, thankfully. There was a question in each section that I could have a good stab at at the least, even with the odd bit of waffle thrown in here and there. Delighted with it really even if some of the short questions were a tad dodgy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Very happy with that paper. The physical question was ideal, regional wasn't far behind and the economic was alright. My biome paragraphs were only prepared to a 4-aspect standard so it took a bit of work when I realised I could only do 3 aspects but I did well enough. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

It was intense, but I got it all finished with 1 and a half - 2 pages per 30 marker. My metamorphic rock question was fairly rushed though... I agree that the short answers were tough enough, no idea how I got on with them. Might have been as low as 50... Still hoping for an A though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just had a look at your guys paper there, wow, it was beautiful! Q.2 & 3 from Physical, all of regional, 10 & 11 and geoecology were very straight forward and like past papers! Congrats on finishing another one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

Just had a look at your guys paper there, wow, it was beautiful! Q.2 & 3 from Physical, all of regional, 10 & 11 and geoecology were very straight forward and like past papers! Congrats on finishing another one! :)

Wouldn't go as far as calling geoecology fair but it was partially doable. I'm sure it caught out a few people who thought they'd get away with not really learning soils I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wouldn't go as far as calling geoecology fair but it was partially doable. I'm sure it caught out a few people who thought they'd get away with not really learning soils I suppose

was slightly technical compared to previous years in terms of geoecology, that's true. Very surpised plant/animal adaptions to biome didn't appear again this year, I think 2006 was the last time it showed up on the Honours paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Nice paper but I realised I put down some wrong answers in the short questions despite the fact I know they are right! :/ Timing fecked me over so things were fairly rushed so don't think I will get my A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LEAVINGMAD

Was question 1c in physical basically asking you to describe isostacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I was happy enough with the biomes question. I wouldn't say I deserve full marks for it, but 60-70/80 at least I should hope. :)

Advertisement