Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Geography Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

It was a pretty fair paper but it was challenging in parts. My rural settlement distribution answer in the elective section was pure waffle in an attempt to get at that lovely migration changes in Ireland essay.

Geoecology was exactly what it was in my mocks - throwing down as many things as I could possibly remember without much connection or flow in an attempt to buffer marks.

Considering the fact that our class lost out on four months of learning time due to a substitute teacher that taught us two of the processes in the core book in insane detail, despite the fact that you only need one, I think it went well. I was an A1 student last year but dropped to a B3 in the mocks since we hadn't started either the elective or Geoecology yet, so I'm hoping for a high B, maybe even an A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MarieM2

Im freaking out here I forgot to number my questions in my exam does any one know will it effect me ??
    Thanks

MarieM2 wrote: »
    Im freaking out here I forgot to number my questions in my exam does any one know will it effect me ??
    Thanks

Yikes. It depends on how the examiner is feeling I suppose. It's very possible for them to give zero for an unmarked question (I know from personal experience in the Junior Cert - damn you higher level Irish), but if you marked none of them then I'm sure they'll go out of their way to figure it out so as to not fail you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

LEAVINGMAD wrote: »
    Was question 1c in physical basically asking you to describe isostacy?

Yeah it was the isostacy/base level question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Sensational paper!

Couldn't have asked for better personally. Everything I knew well :). Hoping for at least a B from that, only worry was that I had to rush a few points down to get the biome question done, which might lose me some cohesion marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Elgubinator

Lads dyu know the geoecology q on soil development? What should of been wrote on that? The factors chosen were water air organic material..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

It suited your sample essay perfectly I noticed! Did you do it? :)
    Q2 was literally my perfect question so once I saw that I didn't even look at the others. I think I was saying that if Waterfall and Rock Cycle came up in the same question I'd kiss the paper. :P

Anyone notice with that rock cycle question, it say oil/gas "exploration" - Were they looking on us to focus in specifically on looking for the stuff? I did bring in fracking a bit just in case, and I kept dropping in the word 'exploration' wherever it would fit but other than that it was just my usual essay. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

Are mining and quarrying the same thing?

It suited your sample essay perfectly I noticed! Did you do it? :)
    Q2 was literally my perfect question so once I saw that I didn't even look at the others. I think I was saying that if Waterfall and Rock Cycle came up in the same question I'd kiss the paper. :P

Anyone notice with that rock cycle question, it say oil/gas "exploration" - Were they looking on us to focus in specifically on looking for the stuff? I did bring in fracking a bit just in case, and I kept dropping in the word 'exploration' wherever it would fit but other than that it was just my usual essay. :P
    I also done question 2 because I wasnt confident enough on metamorphorphic rocks in ireland :p I done gas and oil exploration and I referred to the North Sea for my answer and spoke about the Norwegians and the British..was a lot of ramble but got through it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Elgubinator

Lc201395 wrote: »

No, completely different :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I also done question 2 because I wasnt confident enough on metamorphorphic rocks in ireland :p I done gas and oil exploration and I referred to the North Sea for my answer and spoke about the Norwegians and the British..was a lot of ramble but got through it

I talked briefly about how O+G were formed, then went on about kinsale, then the corrib gas field, then norway, and then at the end I had a few mins so I went back and started writing about fracking. I wrote way too much for that question I think. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Compared to last years paper. This one was join the dots. Although I think the geoecology was very limiting and defo threw the people who only learn 1/2 essays. The SQs were very time demanding through

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LEAVINGMAD

So does that mean if I talked a bout river rejuvination and knckpoints and terraces I was on the right track ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MarieM2

Yikes. It depends on how the examiner is feeling I suppose. It's very possible for them to give zero for an unmarked question (I know from personal experience in the Junior Cert - damn you higher level Irish), but if you marked none of them then I'm sure they'll go out of their way to figure it out so as to not fail you.

Oh god nothing at all ??? I was just in such a rush trying to get everything down, just hope they're not cruel and seen that the essays are done ... Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Question for anyone who did the last regional question:

Examine the interaction between economic, political and/or cultural activities
    in any region that you have studied.

For that I did Belgium as a cultural region, the issues associated with different cultural aspects etc. Is that.. what the question was asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

No but it is the extraction of building materials

MarieM2 wrote: »
    Oh god nothing at all ??? I was just in such a rush trying to get everything down, just hope they're not cruel and seen that the essays are done ... Thanks for your help

It's the Leaving Cert and they know people's futures are in their hands, I'm confident that they'll give you the marks. Maybe they'll deduct a couple of percentiles for it overall or something but hopefully nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

So happy with that! Bit of a shaky start as I was really hoping for oil and gas exploration and waterfalls, but I knew I'd get 0 in the faulting question so went with 1 instead. Physical went well anyway, and economic was grand too, globalisation and mnc, which were two I knew well. Geoecology was great seeing as I was worried as hell going in since characteristics/impact of climate were the only ones I knew, so I was delighted when I saw the biome one on it and wrote like 5 pages.

Regional I left till last because I wasn't entirely sure on what question to do, went with agriculture in India, which I had prepared, and managed to piece together 2 pages on distribution in Paris Basin. Hoping for a high grade now, couldn't be happier that its over now and I'll never have to learn another SRP..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LEAVINGMAD

EvM wrote: »
    So happy with that! Bit of a shaky start as I was really hoping for oil and gas exploration and waterfalls, but I knew I'd get 0 in the faulting question so went with 1 instead.

Ehat way did you word part 1c? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

oh feck, I just realised I forgot to give Irish examples for my metamorphic rock question!

• Advertisement

So does that mean if I talked a bout river rejuvination and knckpoints and terraces I was on the right track ? :)

Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

Was a decent exam. No serious uprises litho ugh the geoecology threw me slightly and had to adapt desertification. Had brown earth soils perfect and it didn't come up!

I did the rock cycle Q under mining heading but wrote about quarrying? Will I get 0 marks? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

The field study will push marks up too.

What's the average mark people get in the field study?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

That question about waterfalls and mining was just brilliant , good paper overall hopefully get a b3 or b2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

EvM wrote: »
    So happy with that! Bit of a shaky start as I was really hoping for oil and gas exploration and waterfalls, but I knew I'd get 0 in the faulting question so went with 1 instead.

Ehat way did you word part 1c? :)

I just mentioned a little bit about what can cause isostatic processes, what it means, and then talked about river rejuvenation :). Out of all my questions it was probably the one I got the least on as I knew rejuvenation stuff but only as part of a larger essay, but hopefully it'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 valencianista

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but what did people write for Q4 C about the socio-economic factors? I talked about Overcrowding, Unemployment, Crime and The Caste System in India. Are they in any way socio-economic factors or whats the story?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

FrankLamar wrote: »
    No but it is the extraction of building materials

this may sound stupid but is quarrying and the building materials thing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

What's the average mark people get in the field study?

According to chief examiner report 88 marks. But thats an average and I know people who got 98marks in their project.

If you have a dodgy markers you can go a grade or two

Advertisement