Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Geography Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but what did people write for Q4 C about the socio-economic factors? I talked about Overcrowding, Unemployment, Crime and The Caste System in India. Are they in any way socio-economic factors or whats the story?:eek:

Was this the regional question with the map and secondary in Ireland? I said that regions were classified as either core or peripheral based on governmental influence, employment/ wages, and there was another really obvious factor that I can't remember for the life of me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I just think its mad for geography the sheer volume of content you have to cover and you could be unlucky that none of what you revised/looked over the night before comes up!
    That really highlights how unfair the whole system is..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Elgubinator

FrankLamar wrote: »
    No but it is the extraction of building materials

What rock do you mine for building materials?

I found it to be a lovely paper! :)
    Fair short questions
    Thought the regional questions were a bit of a stinker and could only really do 5.
    Biome was good but I had only studied animals/vegetation/soil so had to make up the climate one.
    Physical was lovely.
    Hopefully an A2, but would settle for a B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 valencianista

Was this the regional question with the map and secondary in Ireland? I said that regions were classified as either core or peripheral based on governmental influence, employment/ wages, and there was another really obvious factor that I can't remember for the life of me!

Yeah that one! Oops thats completely different to what i wrote! Lets hope we're both right! It seemed like a fairly open question to me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

How much did you guys write for each section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

JOS2013 wrote: »
    Was a decent exam. No serious uprises litho ugh the geoecology threw me slightly and had to adapt desertification. Had brown earth soils perfect and it didn't come up!

brown earths did come up...i did it :P

3 for biome
    3 for physical
    3 for elective
    3 for regional
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

4.5 for geoecology and between 1.5-2 for all the 30 markers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

I answered the socio economic question with Belgium and the Sambre Meuse, is that ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

comeclosa wrote: »
    Question for anyone who did the last regional question:

Examine the interaction between economic, political and/or cultural activities
    in any region that you have studied.

For that I did Belgium as a cultural region, the issues associated with different cultural aspects etc. Is that.. what the question was asking?

That is what I did, yeah. A couple of my friends did the same, I think it's right. It certainly applies to the question anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah that one! Oops thats completely different to what i wrote! Lets hope we're both right! It seemed like a fairly open question to me...

We did something like it in class and my teacher said "it's pretty much a free pass to write whatever you want, as long as you keep relating the information to the question"

I ended up writing about how culture and the distribution of population help to define regions, using the Mezzogiorno as my example.. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

For that I did Belgium as a cultural region, the issues associated with different cultural aspects etc. Is that.. what the question was asking?

You are fine with that choice. Belgium's regions have developed along linguistic lines and they as a result have different political outlooks. Also economically they have had differing fortunes changing over time.

LEAVINGMAD wrote: »
    So does that mean if I talked a bout river rejuvination and knckpoints and terraces I was on the right track ? :)

Yeah you're in the right area. To get top marks you would need to start with an explanation is isostacy and its effects on land/sea level changes.

oh feck, I just realised I forgot to give Irish examples for my metamorphic rock question!

That will only cost you 4 marks, so it is less than 1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

That will only cost you 4 marks, so it is less than 1%

was the question not specifically on Irish metamorphic rocks though? I had to rush through physical so I didn't really take a thorough gawk at the question so I can't be sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I did Spain and the Basques/Catalans. I believe that, Belgium or Ireland/NI was what they wanted to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

Will someone please help me? I wrote out a perfect human interaction with rock cycle essay but implied it was mining instead of extraction of building materials :( how many marks will I lose will I get any? :(

Lc201395 wrote: »
    Will someone please help me? I wrote out a perfect human interaction with rock cycle essay but implied it was mining instead of extraction of building materials :( how many marks will I lose will I get any? :(

Are you trying to tell me mining and quarrying arent the same SRPs......

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Nothing is wrong with what you wrote. Mining is interacting with the rock cycle. Nothing said it had to be interacting with the rock cycle in relation to building materials.

• Advertisement

yeah but I stated that my essay was on mining?

yeah but I stated that my essay was on mining?

I labelled mine Mining and wrote about Quarrying. Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Anyone know if it makes a difference if you answered 30 mark questions in bullets points?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

What rock do you mine for building materials?

Through quarrying not mining

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave2610

My teacher says that quarrying and mining can be interchanged. It didn't specifically say quarrying for any other option so you could use it for the mining option.

That's exactly what I done. Will we be penalised do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

i put the heading extracting builiding materials and wrote about quarrying :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave2610

That's exactly what I done. Will we be penalised do you think?

As long as you didn't talk about building houses a lot you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Peoples opinions on HL geography??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

There's no 'helping' you now the paper is handed up :) I'm sure you've done fine stop worrying about it

Advertisement