Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

im probably the 1 in a million that wrote down 3 instead of 4 so question 6 the 2nd triangle list in the sequance >:( and i was wondering why having i worked out the forumula probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Yeah but if y=sin^-1(x) and sin^-1(x) + x=y then can you not say x=0 in this case? Pretty unclear on their behalf
    No, the only thing you achieve from that is by finding the point where the two curves intersect one another. They are two seperate functions all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Who_Knows wrote: »
    If the two parts are connected and you say x=0, that means in the triangle the length of the side opposite y would be 0. That's impossible, so the two parts can't be connected. :(

But it could be the case and the triangle becomes a line? I was literally trying to think this entire thing through in the exam and I ended up assuming it was a special case where the triangle is a line, if an ambiguity costs me my A I will be sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Who_Knows

sganyfx wrote: »
    ^_^ Hope to God I got that question right, since I am claiming to have a solution :P

I think there might be something wrong with the second part, but I'm not great at financial maths either. You need to take into account that the whole 15000 isn't gathering interest for 36 months, he's paying some of it as the time passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

I think there might be something wrong with the second part, but I'm not great at financial maths either. You need to take into account that the whole 15000 isn't gathering interest for 36 months, he's paying some of it as the time passes.

Ah bollocks that is a good point. But surely it would be near impossible to work that out, since it has to be paid in equal installments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Who_Knows

Ah bollocks that is a good point. But surely it would be near impossible to work that out, since it has to be paid in equal installments.

Well you did it for part one, like some of her investment is sitting there for 36 months and some for only 1 month. You can write it as a series or put it in the amortisation formula. Don't beat yourself up over it though, it's just one question.

The formula is A = P( i(1+i)^t / (1 + i)^t -1)

A = annual repayment amount
    P = Principal.
    As 15,000 was the principal, it should have been there, not where the A is.

Well you did it for part one, like some of her investment is sitting there for 36 months and some for only 1 month. You can write it as a series or put it in the amortisation formula. Don't beat yourself up over it though, it's just one question.

Ah **** there goes my A1 :'( Hope to god the marking schemes are kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

SecondMan wrote: »
    I reckon unfollowing this a thread would be a good idea. Nothing worse than comparing my answers with others and realizing mine were wrong :|

There's been so many different solutions for various questions. Especially the financial maths. I wouldn't worry, a lot of people on here are going to be wrong. Have faith in your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

Answers to q7?

• Advertisement

Ah **** there goes my A1 :'( Hope to god the marking schemes are kind.

Think bell curve

Think bell curve

Speaking of bell curves, paper 2 on Monday, time to go forget everything I know about mathematics and read an English book :D

Speaking of bell curves, paper 2 on Monday, time to go forget everything I know about mathematics and read an English book :D

Someone tried to imply their english grades had improved since they started project maths... as if there is a correlation between axioms and macbeth...

Someone tried to imply their english grades had improved since they started project maths... as if there is a correlation between axioms and macbeth...

Project maths Q7
    a) Plot the graph of Axiom knowledge vs Macbeth knowledge
    b) Describe the correlation between axioms and Macbeth
    c) Estimate the correlation coefficient from your graph
    d) Calculate the correlation coefficient using your calculator
    e) What was the percentage error?
    f) Draw the line of best fit on your graph

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lisheen2308

I just got n^2

if you multiply that out it works out as n squared anyway it was the next bit i couldnt get with an expression for the number of mathsticks! anyone get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

if you multiply that out it works out as n squared anyway it was the next bit i couldnt get with an expression for the number of mathsticks! anyone get that?

To go from the (n-1)th to the nth you needed 3n more matchsticks. That was the question I think; they give you the expression for the number of matchsticks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tyrion Lannister

Christ that paper was an abomination. Studied so much stuff for ages and none of it comes up. And the differentiation/integration part of it was awful :(

Though I'd say section 1 was great for me, the others, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Any links to exam solution up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Did anyone in another pilot school find that they didn't use any of the differentiation rules (chain, product, whatever) at all? Like there was only basic differentiation and differentiation on it, and the applications of it?

how does 3n make since like it worked for the first but not the third or fourth one i think not sure whichgot 18 match sticks or something so 3(4) wouldnt work no?

• Advertisement

To go from the (n-1)th to the nth you needed 3n more matchsticks. That was the question I think; they give you the expression for the number of matchsticks

think i misunderstood the question ah well, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Did anyone in another pilot school find that they didn't use any of the differentiation rules (chain, product, whatever) at all? Like there was only basic differentiation and differentiation on it, and the applications of it?

Nope only the basics as you said. There seemed to be more of a focus on recognising graphs

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

I don't understand that amortisation formula and this second part of the financial maths question is the one thing niggling at me... How do you set up the series? Do the present values of all the repayments add up to 15000?
    Like what I did was this:

15,000 = P + P/(1.00866) + P/(1.00866)^2 ... + P/(1.00866)^35

Anyone else do this? Or someone please just tell me I'm wrong and put me out of my misery :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Conballz wrote: »
    I don't understand that amortisation formula and this second part of the financial maths question is the one thing niggling at me... How do you set up the series? Do the present values of all the repayments add up to 15000?
    Like what I did was this:

15,000 = P + P/(1.00866) + P/(1.00866)^2 ... + P/(1.00866)^35

Anyone else do this? Or someone please just tell me I'm wrong and put me out of my misery :(

15,000 is P I think? Because it is what he initially borrowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 notruairi

Do you guys have a link to paper or questions or something? I wanted to check over a few things again myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

notruairi wrote: »
    Do you guys have a link to paper or questions or something? I wanted to check over a few things again myself.

On examinations website already.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

did anybody else do the answers on the white paper provided instead of the pink exam paper there is a serious panic going on here. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Think they may just have been satirising the 'wordiness' of PM by comparison with the old Maths papers, tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lynch.je

The answer to the financial maths question looked like this:

15000 = P(1.00327)^36 + p(1.00327)^35 + ... + P

Geometric series where

A= P(1.00327)^36

2nd term / 1st term

n= 36 . whack it all into the sn formula. answer is 3 hundred and something.

Personally i did it with yearly rate ie. 15000 = P(1.04)^36/12 + P(1.04)^35/12 etc.

the 2nd question is the same but this time P is divided by the rate and the powers are going from 1->36.
    answer like 437 or something. Hope this helps

Advertisement