Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

SecondMan wrote: »
    15,000 is P I think? Because it is what he initially borrowed.

No see I'm just setting P as the value of the monthly repayments and using future value figures which should add up to 15k... It makes sense in my head but I've seen a lot of different suggestions :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

0mega wrote: »
    Yep! :D

Ye that was a simple q. They made calculus quite long

Conballz wrote: »
    No see I'm just setting P as the value of the monthly repayments and using future value figures which should add up to 15k... It makes sense in my head but I've seen a lot of different suggestions :/

I think you're kind of mixing up the amortisation and geometric series way.
    P, as stated in the log tables, is the principal. Your way would be fine as long as you used a geometric series formula and not the amortisation formula.
    Also, I would believe you'd have to use present values as they need to add up to 15000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Are most of the marks for the long questions, usually given for the first few parts? Like a part e might only be worth 5/50

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Nope only the basics as you said. There seemed to be more of a focus on recognising graphs

Oh thank God, I thought I'd done something terribly wrong, which I have a tendency to do :P Do you feel we had it easy? Personally I'm rather thankful of being in a pilot school, the calculus on the other paper looked like Mandarin :D

...I'll probably eat my words on Monday evening...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 jmillz

For the tickets question you cant assume that all the €16 tickets were sold you had to make up some simultanious equations and use them to find out the final answer was actually 2500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

jmillz wrote: »
    For the tickets question you cant assume that all the €16 tickets were sold you had to make up some simultanious equations and use them to find out the final answer was actually 2500

ya it took a fair bit of time and effort but probably only five marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

How many ppl mistakenly though q3 said to two digits instead of significant figures... it almost caught me again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

How many ppl mistakenly though q3 said to two digits instead of significant figures... it almost caught me again

I left it as 8916 by mistake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

what were you supposed to say? 8.9 x 10^3 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

django 123 wrote: »
    what were you supposed to say? 8.9 x 10^3 or something?

Just 8,900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Are most of the marks for the long questions, usually given for the first few parts? Like a part e might only be worth 5/50

That hasn't been decided yet, unfortunately. They decide where to allocate the most marks to when they do up the marking scheme. I've heard that last year most of the marks where weighted towards the earlier parts, but we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Thats the part I'm delighted apart. Got most parts of the paper. Did loads for the last part of 5 and 6 but got the wrong answer on both. Still have a solid chance of getting an A because they'll most likely manipulate the marking scheme and the last parts will be worth sweet f*ck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

ctbfashion wrote: »
    did anybody else do the answers on the white paper provided instead of the pink exam paper there is a serious panic going on here. thanks

As long as you labelled the answers correctly, it should not make a bit of a difference.

The SEC stated:

Marks can be deducted if answers are done on a separate booklet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Prodigious wrote: »
    The SEC stated:

But I really doubt any examiner is going to actually deduct marks for it, realistically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

I think you're kind of mixing up the amortisation and geometric series way.
    P, as stated in the log tables, is the principal. Your way would be fine as long as you used a geometric series formula and not the amortisation formula.
    Also, I would believe you'd have to use present values as they need to add up to 15000

Sorry I mixed it up when I was typing it there :P I did mean present values not future hence why I denoted the repayments as P... and yes I used the sum of a geometric series I never bothered to try and understand the Amortisation formula, a foolish mistake in hindsight :L I think I worked it out but don't understand why it's that way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Did people get something of the order (y-2)=-2(x-2) for parametric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

The SEC stated:

I am a LC superintendent. We were clearly told at the conference that candidates are allowed supplementary paper. This is also clearly stated in our handbooks. You may not, however, answer in an official exam script.

I am a LC superintendent. We were clearly told at the conference that candidates are allowed supplementary paper. This is also clearly stated in our handbooks. You may not, however, answer in an official exam script.

Supplementary yes, but our teacher told us that at the conference she was told you cannot just decide to do the whole exam on different paper.

What does the bold part mean?

• Advertisement

I used the ammortisation formula for both the financial math questions.. Was I right?

Supplementary yes, but our teacher told us that at the conference she was told you cannot just decide to do the whole exam on different paper.

The exam script - the pink one. I don't think anyone was misguided about having to fit as much as possible onto the exam paper - that was also clearly communicated to superintendents.

The exam script - the pink one. I don't think anyone was misguided about having to fit as much as possible onto the exam paper - that was also clearly communicated to superintendents.

You may not answer in the exam script???

You may not answer in the exam script???

No, only on the exam paper or on supplementary paper if required.

No, only on the exam paper or on supplementary paper if required.

So we were only supposed to write on the exam script but we are not supposed to write on the exam script. Oh right

Right, I'm totally confused now..

What's the difference between the exam script and exam paper? We were given a pink booklet which had questions and boxes to answer in... What's that one called?

The only thing we were offered was supplementary paper, which the examiner stamped, and this was white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

SecondMan wrote: »
    I used the ammortisation formula for both the financial math questions.. Was I right?

I did aswell :\

I did aswell :\

Are we wrong???

Right, I'm totally confused now..

What's the difference between the exam script and exam paper? We were given a pink booklet which had questions and boxes to answer in... What's that one called?

The only thing we were offered was supplementary paper, which the examiner stamped, and this was white.

Yes, what you did was correct.

The exam paper has the questions, which - in the case of Maths - you're also expected to answer in.

The exam script is the booklet where you write your responses. You used this to write your English answers, for instance.

• Advertisement

For the bit where she was saving money every month I did it both ways and got two different answers.

Advertisement