Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah that's what I said, thanks Spurious. Does your knowledge extend as to know which subjects and what level has to be reached?

Examiners are asked for any candidates scoring full marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You two just can't leave one another alone, can you, or follow a simple instruction?! :rolleyes:

I'm taking a VERY deep breath here! ... DON'T push me!!
    There was no malice intended, as you can see he initiated the petty grammar dispute.
    Prodigious wrote: »
    *cough* Not supposed to argue with a mod* *cough* Bring it to feedback *cough*
    ehm..
    Lord, but neither of ye understand English or can take a hint!

Ye were told ages ago to ignore one another as you apparently couldn't interact without constantly sniping at one another! Everyone, mods and users alike, are sick to death of your constant bickering, but you don't seem to get the message!

Well, you can both have another day off to see would the message finally sink in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

Damn significant figures, possibly one of the easiest parts on the paper and I confused it for 2 decimal places :( hopefully it will be -1 mark though with these marking schemes anything is possible especially given that question about the c-14 dating was so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Conballz wrote: »

I'm fairly sure they got 7 (b) wrong. It should be 20/(x+4)^2, unless I'm being an idiot and missing something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

I'm fairly sure they got 7 (b) wrong. It should be 20/(x+4)^2, unless I'm being an idiot and missing something

Oh thank god, you're right. I looked at it and it didn't look right to me either I thought it was 20 as well. They probably used du/dx instead of u and ended up with 5x+20-5 rather than 5x+20-5x... Happy days :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

For 2a I solved x to be -3 and x to be 2.5

I didn't write it as an inequality. Will that be -1ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

For 2a I solved x to be -3 and x to be 2.5

I didn't write it as an inequality. Will that be -1ya?
    3 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Peeps there's the solutions for Paper 1 :P

http://www.studentxpress.ie/ProjectMaths/HL2013Answers.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Feighness

well lads i got 3 fractions for the simultaneous equation but i checked my answer and it worked perfectly whats the news with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 alan56

For number of family tickets I worked out the price (50 euro, which is correct) and ran out of time... Guessed that 720 were sold... Will I get high partial? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

alan56 wrote: »
    For number of family tickets I worked out the price (50 euro, which is correct) and ran out of time... Guessed that 720 were sold... Will I get high partial? :/
    Yes, you should. All you had to do was solve a simple simultaneous equation to find the number of family tickets. You should get most of the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

for 3 (b) isn't it 89 years as it says two significant figures? thats what i rounded it off to, please say i was right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    for 3 (b) isn't it 89 years as it says two significant figures? thats what i rounded it off to, please say i was right :(

8900 is to two significant figures. You still have to keep the extra zeros at the end or else it wouldn't make sense :P you'd probably only lose 1 mark for that if you got the correct unrounded answer though

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

Feighness wrote: »
    well lads i got 3 fractions for the simultaneous equation but i checked my answer and it worked perfectly whats the news with that?

Did you check them in all 3 equations though, sometimes an answer will work for 1 or 2 but not all three coz you make a small error along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eoghaanM

What was question 3? Completely forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

**** i forgot to put it as 8900 i left it as a decimal

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Who_Knows

For the inequality thing, I think I wrote '>' rather than '≥' both times, is that -1? Also didn't say 'symmetrical' for that last bit but I said 'through the centrepoint'. Got everything right other than that...I want one of those medals. Paper 2 could be weird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Who_Knows

eoghaanM wrote: »
    What was question 3? Completely forget!

Question 3 was the one about logs and carbon dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 barrhe

Conballz wrote: »
    For question 5 b my equation was 12000 + (20-x)1000, that works out too so it would have to get the marks wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

ah s***, for the integration question, i said it was a mirror image, i knew it was symmetrical but the word wasn't coming into my mind :/

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

barrhe wrote: »
    For question 5 b my equation was 12000 + (20-x)1000, that works out too so it would have to get the marks wouldn't it?

Yes it would. If you expand it out you get 32000 - 1000x so they're the same thing :)

Well a lot of my answers matched them! Put me at ease now. I am hoping for an A1 but I think realistically it's an A2 or B1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    ah s***, for the integration question, i said it was a mirror image, i knew it was symmetrical but the word wasn't coming into my mind :/

I did the same thing. Symmetry never even occurred to me but it's practically the same thing so hopefully.....:L

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Does anyone think they got an A1?

Yeh I did. All my answers were the same as these:
    http://www.studentxpress.ie/ProjectM...013Answers.pdf
    So I reckon I got around 100% or pretty close to it.
    Sorry if that makes me sound like a dick, but you did ask.
    you reckon you get something if you get 100% in a paper?

Not necessarily if you get 100% but Accenture, in conjunction with the IMTA, have been awarding a prize to the top maths student(s) each year since 2011
    http://www.imta.ie/accenture_award_2011.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

If you make a mistake in one part and carry it through, can you still get full marks if you have the correct method? Or near to full marks?
    And I think I got most of Q6 (sequences) wrong because I use the wrong equation.. Can I still get marks does anyone know?
    I wanted an A so badly :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

If you make a mistake in one part and carry it through, can you still get full marks if you have the correct method? Or near to full marks?
    And I think I got most of Q6 (sequences) wrong because I use the wrong equation.. Can I still get marks does anyone know?
    I wanted an A so badly :/

Fairly sure you can with the correct method, don't worry about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Slow Show wrote: »
    Fairly sure you can with the correct method, don't worry about it. :)

Hopefully! And maybe I'll get attempt marks for the other question.. I hope! Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 uzzy_94

For the financial maths question I used the present value formula to find P, as they gave us F, and then used the amortisation formula to get an answer close to 393 as far I can remember, does this ring any bells for anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

it waq horrible paper 2 better be nicer

Advertisement