Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

johneugene wrote: »
    I always mess it up if I do it in pen. But we were told pen could fade if it's too light. If doing in pen make sure it's HB.

Okay.
    Also do you or anyone else know the timing for the paper? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Okay.

Half the number of marks per question and spend that many minutes on it

Half the number of marks per question and spend that many minutes on it

sound! Thanks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭johneugene

Okay.

45 mins per section. 15 mins reading and checking. Depending on marks tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I just know that length area and volume will be a long question and they always hate me . . Ugh really need the A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭johneugene

Glee_GG wrote: »
    I just know that length area and volume will be a long question and they always hate me . . Ugh really need the A

Any other hints?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

johneugene wrote: »
    Any other hints?

my teacher did go to an inservice there recently enough and she said they were pretty convienced financial maths would be a long question but you never know really, i'd say it probably will be one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

HPMS wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but it feels like such a relief to be able to study maths now without having to think about essays, or poets etc. Maths is so much more relaxing to study! :)

Exactly! No learning quotes, sore hands from writing essays, you're right or you're wrong, no examiner subjectively deciding what grade you deserve. Its great! (but tough at times...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I don't know about you, but it feels like such a relief to be able to study maths now without having to think about essays, or poets etc. Maths is so much more relaxing to study! :)

Yeah its so nice not have to write about ****ing imagery or poetic bull**** anymore, just good ol' fashion maths.
    Guys are you doing it in Pen or pencil? Trivial question I know but....

I'm doing mine in marker

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

If any of ye out there have your exam papers home with you, flick to 2008 P1 for a minute please? :L For question 4 (c) I know how to complete the question, but sometimes I'm not sure which expression goes first and whether it's a + or a - in between them? Get what I'm saying? If you do, Please share your knowledge haha as I get the feeling this kind of question will come up tomoz :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Okay.

Well if you divide up the times and marks it works out at 12.5 mins per 25 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Pilot schools! Hope calculus is nothing like what was on the normal sample papers with the old syllabus :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Pilot schools! Hope calculus is nothing like what was on the normal sample papers with the old syllabus :P

Calculus will be simple I think, they've taken off all the hard stuff for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Best of luck everyone :) I really don't envy anyone doing paper one tomorrow :P Was by far my worst exam last year. Granted I only did an hour study before the exam after Geography as I focused completely on that the night before, it was a terrible exam for me. I was inconsolable after it.... I couldn't even do the part a's for some questions :L And after the exam I started to understand some parts.... Disgusted.

But yeah don't make my mistake. If you get bogged down, chill the f out. I didn't.... I just wanted to leave the exam and that was my downfall. You'll have loads of time in there. Take your time and make a serious stab at every part. Ye all know the deal with Project Maths. Attempt everything. Know your proofs and all that perfectly. They're guaranteed marks. Practice sample questions for everything. It's the most effective study for sure at this stage. But yeah try and relax inside there. You'll be sound then :)

And don't worry. Paper 2 is there to help you. I did an unbelievable paper 2 and it saved me from repeating this year. Give paper one your all and you'll feel great for paper two next week.

Good luck everyone, do De Moivre and Pythagoras proud :P

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Last minute study came across this, one of the sample papers and can't find a solution, its in the edco papers pg 139 or question 5 here http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase3_Paper_I_Higher_Level.pdf

Any idea what it is or if its on our course?

I don't know any proofs! Hardly know differentiation from first principals. Algebra will either be really good or abysmal, no in between. Let us hope for a Financial Maths long question and a logarithm long question!
    May attempt marks help my soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Last minute study came across this, one of the sample papers and can't find a solution, its in the edco papers pg 139 or question 5 here http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase3_Paper_I_Higher_Level.pdf

Not our course! :D

you just differentiate f twice, find max and min with respect to x.
    As for the injective thing, it doesn't appear to be on the course! :D

I don't know any proofs! Hardly know differentiation from first principals. Algebra will either be really good or abysmal, no in between. Let us hope for a Financial Maths long question and a logarithm long question!
    May attempt marks help my soul.

Jesus H christ!
    Why would you hope for a Financial question? :O wash your mouth out! (although, it certainly will come up as a long one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

you just differentiate f twice, find max and min with respect to x.
    As for the injective thing, it doesn't appear to be on the course! :D

Ah cool thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lads oh sh*t is Area and Volume on Paper 1? I know there was a q on the sample but truth be told I never properly looked at it and just assumed it was the application of algebra or whatever, not the area and volume that it was testing?

Always thought it was on paper 2 and I hate it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Slow Show wrote: »
    Lads oh sh*t is Area and Volume on Paper 1? I know there was a q on the sample but truth be told I never properly looked at it and just assumed it was the application of algebra or whatever, not the area and volume that it was testing?

Always thought it was on paper 2 and I hate it. :p

You can't really study for it which is the good thing. Although maybe look over the trapezoidal rule because that could throw you if you haven't seen it.

I think I'll just focus on calculus tonight as it is the area I have the most trouble with. Proofs can wait until tomorrow.

Jesus H christ!
    Why would you hope for a Financial question? :O wash your mouth out! (although, it certainly will come up as a long one!)

I find the financial maths really easy! :o
    I can't do integration methods for a circle, sphere or cone either. Oopsss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Looking forward to this one, this is where it gets serious :P

I feel pretty confident for the Concepts and Skills and the Calculus sections, but there could be some tricky stuff in the Contexts and Applications... guess it'll be a matter of getting as much information down as possible :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Somebody please shoot me now. I have never dreaded an exam more in my life. Still have so much more to do and have geography in the morning so I haven't a clue when I'll get it done. :(

Ran over the differentiation proofs and proof of De Moivre by induction. I am now suitable confused. I pray to God none of them come up. At this rate I would even greatly accept a long financial question even though that's one of the sections I haven't gone over.

:(

Okay, so i have an Integration problem.
    question:
    Integrate between 60 degrees and 0 , cosx(1-sin^2x)
    It is probably easy but cannot work it out fully. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

is the factor theorem still on course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Okay, so i have an Integration problem.
    question:
    Integrate between 60 degrees and 0 , cosx(1-sin^2x)
    It is probably easy but cannot work it out fully. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let u=sinx, differentiate that and you get cosx du
    then you have 1 - u^2 du
    integrate that > u - u^3/3
    sub back in sinx, use the values given, 0 and pi/3, there you are

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

anyone else bricking it? My Calculus, Algebra, complex numbers and USUALLY my problem solving is good but I literally can't do proof by induction (I'll get attempt marks for the first 2 steps hopefully) or financial maths. I just suck at them.

I'm actually slightly afraid I might fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Wasn't the pass mark something like 31% last year? Be grand sure, they'll be nice enough with this being the first year both papers are project maths :P

Advertisement