Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Where was the integration?? :confused: was it just one part A?
    I thought it was horrible! :(

The last part of section C, where you had to draw a graph and find the area? You were meant to integrate there ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

HPMS wrote: »
    The last part of section C, where you had to draw a graph and find the area? You were meant to integrate there ...?

FML I couldn't do that at all :( was that the 4x and x^3 question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Loved section a, section c wasnt too bad either but section b was kinda weird :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The calculus was tough, Loved the ticket question :) For the Carbon 14 was it 8900? And for the fella about the car loan was it 487 per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

wooo what an awesome paper... it was was way way easier than the mocks. The only thing i wasnt sure about was Q5 last part where u had to find how many family tickets were sold apart from that it was brilliant.
    now i have to hope that paper 2 is just as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Am I the only one who thought it was shocking? :(

The calculus was tough, Loved the ticket question :) For the Carbon 14 was it 8900? And for the fella about the car loan was it 487 per month?

yup i got both those exact answers

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I didn't think it was bad at all. Just a few little bits in some questions. But I'm pretty sure I got a solid B.
    Everyone else in my year was going on about how awful it was, but it wasn't even that bad IMO.

FML I couldn't do that at all :( was that the 4x and x^3 question?

Yeah! Finding the are under a curve. There's no point thinking about it now, what's done is done! :)

My chances of a D3 have improved :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

sounds familiar i think i got those!! This is giving me hope :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

What did yous get for the number of family tickets? I got 2250, didn't even need the figures for income

25000 total capacity
    less
    16000 sold at 16 euro each (from like part d)
    equals
    9000 left over for family members

4 people per family ticket
    So 9000/4 = 2250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I think I got the majority of that right and bar question 6 I'm absolutely delighted!

For the first time ever, I think I'm in with a shot for a high b :eek:

What did you do for the parametrics when they gave us x = 2? I found t using it and them subbed that back in to find y but not too sure if I got it right...seemed to make sense at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Wow. I literally kept turning the page going "where are those hard questions- with the jigsaws? and the boxes?".. I was delighted, there were a few bits I struggled with but I wrote something for every part so I'm hoping to do well enough. Let's see how paper 2 goes first though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

HPMS wrote: »
    What did you do for the parametrics when they gave us x = 2? I found t using it and them subbed that back in to find y but not too sure if I got it right...seemed to make sense at the time!

Yeah sub x back into the original and solve for t (It was 0 I think?) Then sub in t to get y and then you get the equation.

I think I got 2x + y = 6

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

Personally thought the ticket question was very hard. Once you didn't get the second part you were practically screwed for the rest of the question. The first four questions were fine but the matchsticks question I thought was weird. As was the diff and integration

For the matchsticks my expression for the part under the table was 1+(n+1)(n-1)

giggsy664 wrote: »
    What did yous get for the number of family tickets? I got 2250, didn't even need the figures for income

25000 total capacity
    less
    16000 sold at 16 euro each (from like part d)
    equals
    9000 left over for family members

4 people per family ticket
    So 9000/4 = 2250

well i got that one completely wrong then ..how do u know there were 16k single tickets sold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

\o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

Didn't find it to be too bad, was expecting trickier questions!

Found Financial maths tough, but I'm weak at that. Also the Stadium Q wasn't the best.
    Can't really complain though - roll on Paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Did anyone else get 2500 for the number of family tickets in Q5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

was the best vaulue for the ticket to give max amount 16 euro? :)

I hated the Match stick question! Couldn't get it!
    Also for the area under the curves being the same was it cause of axial symetry of 180 degrees through X-axis?
    Meh, It was better than expected. Hopefully got a good B in it! Paper 1 is always hardest for me so hopefully Paper 2 goes better!! :D

0mega wrote: »
    Yeah sub x back into the original and solve for t (It was 0 I think?) Then sub in t to get y and then you get the equation.

I think I got 2x + y = 6

Great, exactly what I got as far as I remember! :)

Did anybody else find those qs 5 and 6 so hard? I couldnt even manage a formula so made on up to continue the rest of the question! I thought they were much harder than the sample paper (jigsaw) section B qs!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

For the matchsticks my expression for the part under the table was 1+(n+1)(n-1)

I just got n^2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

That was great. :D Not straying near this thread again after this post as I really don't want the sinking feeling in my stomach when I realise I got something wrong that I was confident on but I'm really happy with that. Was able to do most things, made pretty fair attempts at the stuff I was 'errr' on, it was way nicer than the stuff that came up on the sample papers! Happy out right now. :)

was the best vaulue for the ticket to give max amount 16 euro? :)

I hated the Match stick question! Couldn't get it!
    Also for the area under the curves being the same was it cause of axial symetry of 180 degrees through X-axis?
    Meh, It was better than expected. Hopefully got a good B in it! Paper 1 is always hardest for me so hopefully Paper 2 goes better!! :D

ya I got 16 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Cant believe i forgot everything about patterns :(
    Did anyone get 0.0762 for the proportion of carbon-14 part a??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Really would love to see a copy if this paper. Anyone hit an idea where?

What was in section A? What came up on Algebra, Complex nos, any induction?

What were the big middle questions?

Patterns? Tickets? What were these?

What was the financial maths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Kingkumar wrote: »
    well i got that one completely wrong then ..how do u know there were 16k single tickets sold?

They sell 12000 at €20, and 1000 more for each €1 the price drops by.
    20-16 = 4
    4*1000 = 4000

12000+4000 = 16000

Advertisement