Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

RML wrote: »
    Cant believe i forgot everything about patterns :(
    Did anyone get 0.0762 for the proportion of carbon-14 part a??

Yeah but I think it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

giggsy664 wrote: »
    They sell 12000 at €20, and 1000 more for each €1 the price drops by.
    20-16 = 4
    4*1000 = 4000

12000+4000 = 16000

OMG I got 16000 and then scribbled answers out. FML :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 traleebeur

what's the story with the matchstick one???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

RML wrote: »
    OMG I got 16000 and then scribbled answers out. FML :mad:

They'll award you the mark if it's in any way legible, and the examiner may even go out of their way to make out that you wrote 16000

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

20-16 = 4
    4*1000 = 4000

12000+4000 = 16000

It was a bit more complicated than that. The question said it was a "special event" so the demand for tickets wasn't related to the price like in the first part of the question. You had set up a really long simultaneous equation. Did anyone else get 2500? I'm not certain I got it fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PaulR666

Well what did people think of it? I personally thought the series and Financial Maths questions were near to impossible. Q7 ,Q8, Q4, Q2 .. were probably my strongest. Thoughts? Opinions? Questions?

did anyone say the matchsticks where an arithmetic series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

For the last part if the matchstick i got 2704 small triangles, ring any bells??

Also what's the story with low partial credits? What do you have to do in a Q to get the low partial credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

was the best vaulue for the ticket to give max amount 16 euro? :)

I hated the Match stick question! Couldn't get it!
    Also for the area under the curves being the same was it cause of axial symetry of 180 degrees through X-axis?
    Meh, It was better than expected. Hopefully got a good B in it! Paper 1 is always hardest for me so hopefully Paper 2 goes better!! :D

I had 16 euro but 16.50 gave higher revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

It was a bit more complicated than that. The question said it was a "special event" so the demand for tickets wasn't related to the price like in the first part of the question. You had set up a really long simultaneous equation. Did anyone else get 2500? I'm not certain I got it fully.

I got 2500 but I don't think I used simultaneous equations! I don't really know what I done.

Anyone elses head fried after this? I thought the paper was unusual and just....weird and it kind of gave me a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 TMG94

If I filled in every question, and they were all wrong (I did terribly but I know I got some right, I'm just being conservative), butwhat I wrote was related to the question in some way, do you think it's possible that I got more than the 120 attempt marks out of 300 marks needed for a pass in paper 1?
    It was a slaughter in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

traleebeur wrote: »

No, there was a quadratic and an exponential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

What do you guys think will happen with the marking scheme now?

Lc201395 wrote: »
    For the last part if the matchstick i got 2704 small triangles, ring any bells??

Also what's the story with low partial credits? What do you have to do in a Q to get the low partial credit?

Yep! :D

django 123 wrote: »
    I had 16 euro but 16.50 gave higher revenue

16 was the local max when you differentiated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

What do you guys think will happen with the marking scheme now?

Won't be marked too easy I think

bye bye A1 it was nice knowing you..

I did it out a few ways and the way I did it was the only way it made sense to me. Also got 2180 family tickets from a simultaneous equation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

For the most part it was alright, like questions 1-4 and the integration question were fine. Although I got a completely different answer for the loan bit than ye did :L

The sequences question with the matchsticks was a complete shambles apart from drawing it out and filling in the table. I hadn't the foggiest where I was going with it trying to derive those formulas :(

The stadium question was nearly as horrific. It though parts of it weren't worded the best. Was I the only one who used practically no mathematical formula/reasoning in finding the ticket price for maximum income?

Half of the differentiation question I couldn't do either, the parametric part with x=2 because I have no clue what a parametric function is to start with. The last part completely stumped me too, hadn't a clue if I was supposed to he using substitution or not. :L

But still, if paper 2 is as nice or nicer I will be happy because it's by far my better paper despite my hatred of trig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

traleebeur wrote: »

I said they were a cubic series???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Disappointed that the paper wasnt as challenging as I expected Think I did well, pretty much flew through the paper so I have a feeling its gonna be marked harder. Hope I did enough to get my A but this depends on paper two, my arch nemesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura229

Did anyone get 663 for the loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

20-16 = 4
    4*1000 = 4000

12000+4000 = 16000

But that only applies when all the tickets they sold were €16. The last part said there was a "special event" on, so I took it that the previous parts didn't apply.

I said they were a cubic series???

Didn't it give you the formula for one of the parts as an2 + bn + c?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

For the last part of the financial maths question, it never told you if he paid at the start or the end of the month? I assumed he paid at the end of the month, did everyone else?

Laura229 wrote: »
    Did anyone get 663 for the loan?

I used the amortization formula and got 487

Where did it ask this, think I must have missed it. :(

It didn't ask it specifically, I just put it down over the table

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Yes I got that :) I think we did it the same way because the simultaneous equations were pretty awkward, like there was no way you could have done that in the space they provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I used the amortization formula and got 487

I got that aswell!!! :D maybe I didn't fail :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

That was a lovely paper!

I'm in a Pilot school so I don't know which parts were different but,
    Off the top of my head, answers I can remember so we can all compare and feel happy/feel shít:

3 way simultaneous equations: 2, 4 and 10 were my answers
    Area under Sin graph = 2 units^2
    Tickets sold = 2500, price of revenue maximisation = €16
    No. of triangles = n squared, No. of matchsticks needed to create next sequence = 3n
    Rate or change for the raindrop = 0.2122 mm/s
    The Loan repayments was Amortisation formula, ended up in the 400's, somehing like €470, can't remember exactly, girls lodgments each month were in the 300's, can't remember exactly again

Emm... can't remember what other questions were asked really :P

How does everyone compare?

Advertisement