Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Ok lads screw the matchsticks, that's an A1 out the window right there :'(
    I'm blaming Geography and staying up to cram for that...
    BUT, the Differentiation and Integration parts were SPECTACULAR I thought. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Such a bad student, I had only first principles half learnt off so was delighted none of that was on it..
    Thought it was alright, much better than my pre did anyway.
    But
    What do you guys think will happen with the marking scheme now?
    worries me a lot. I really, really dont want it to work against me and end up failing because of it :( I thought it'd be the other way I could fail it but the MS might boost me up.
    Not gonna look at anyones answers though, it'd only sicken me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

what did ye get for area under 1st qudarant thing? I got 4?
    Then 8 in total due to axial symettry ?

Central symetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TMG94

I feel the very same! At least I'm not alone :)
    Same here

For the financial maths q's what were your answers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 TMG94

RML wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wanted one of proof by induction/contradiction, first principles,area for disc and volume? Nothing came up! What's the story with that??

I was desperate for one! I learnt them all and now I know it was all a massive waste of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Central symetry?

My teacher said really that you should be grand by mentioning any sort of symmetry!

To be honest it was to be expected that no proofs came up, project maths is about mathematical ability not one's regurgitation powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

For the financial maths q's what were your answers?

Something like 446 for your one Niamh, and using the same method (amortisation) for Conall I think it was something like 482...I'll check again, but along those lines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

I feel the very same! At least I'm not alone :)

Haha yay! Everyone in my school thought it was hard and teachers we've saying they'll prob mark it easy but after coming on here seeing everyone say how easy it was im getting more worried and won't be marked easy now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

To be honest it was to be expected that no proofs came up, project maths is about mathematical ability not one's regurgitation powers.

Others argued this year that because of the mess last year, it would be expected that things that could be learned off prior to the exam might make an appearance to boost you by a few marks. Evidently they were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Hey guys, I'm studying Maths in college and if you want any particular question solved, I'd be more than happy to help out.

I did the q5 of the paper and can confirm that the answers are:

(a)14000
    (b)32000-1000x
    (c)32000x-1000x^2
    (d)16 euro
    (e)€256000
    (f)€81000
    (g)2500

I did these out quickly so I may have made an arithmetic mistake as I was using the calculator on the comp. I'll start doing q6 now.

Bionicle wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm studying Maths in college and if you want any particular question solved, I'd be more than happy to help out.

(a)14000
    (b)32000-1000x
    (c)32000x-1000x^2
    (d)16 euro
    (e)€256000
    (f)€81000
    (g)2500

I did these out quickly so I may have made an arithmetic mistake as I was using the calculator on the comp. I'll start doing q6 now.

What was the reasoning in part G?

My teacher said really that you should be grand by mentioning any sort of symmetry!

I said 180 degree rotation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Thanks you really set my mind at ease about (g) :)

If you get a chance could you do 8(b)?

part g was simulateneous equations you have 3 unknowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

(a)14000
    (b)32000-1000x
    (c)32000x-1000x^2
    (d)16 euro
    (e)€256000
    (f)€81000
    (g)2500

my expression were different but I got the same answer. Will I be docked marks?

All it involved was constructing 3 simultaneous equations. Let x= number of single tickets sold and y= number of family tickets sold. Total capcity is 25000 and we know that for every family ticket, there is 4 people. So the first equation is x+4y=25000. Let z=the price of a family ticket. The total income was 365000 so we get the equation 16x+yz=365000 (note the 4 must be removed because we are concerned with the number of tickets only, not the amount of people per ticket). The last equation was the trickiest to make. if 1000 more family tickets are sold, then that means that 4000 more seats are occupied meaning that 4000 less single tickets were sold. That means that there are y+1000 family tickets in circulation and x-4000 single tickets. Thus, the last equation becomes 16(x-4000)+(y+1000)z=351000 . Solve for y

part g was simulateneous equations you have 3 unknowns

I had something along the lines

16(z)+x(y)=365000
    and
    16(z)+x(y+1000)=365000-14000

But where's the third one?

All it involved was constructing 3 simultaneous equations. Let x= number of single tickets sold and y= number of family tickets sold. Total capcity is 25000 and we know that for every family ticket, there is 4 people. So the first equation is x+4y=25000. Let z=the price of a family ticket. The total income was 365000 so we get the equation 16x+yz=365000 (note the 4 must be removed because we are concerned with the number of tickets only, not the amount of people per ticket). The last equation was the trickiest to make. if 1000 more family tickets are sold, then that means that 4000 more seats are occupied meaning that 4000 less single tickets were sold. That means that there are y+1000 family tickets in circulation and x-4000 single tickets. Thus, the last equation becomes 16(x-1000)+(y+1000)z=351000 . Solve for y.
    Ahhhh right, didn't get that! I totally oversimplified in the end!

• Advertisement

I had something along the lines

16(z)+x(y)=365000
    and
    16(z)+x(y+1000)=365000-14000

But where's the third one?

x+y = 25000

Thanks you really set my mind at ease about (g) :)

If you get a chance could you do 8(b)?
    a=-1 and b=-8. To find the co-ordinates of the turning points, you just sub in x=2 and x=-4/3 into the equation using the fact that a=-1 and b=-8. One is(2,-12) and the other is(-1.333, 6.519. To draw the graph of it, you first find the x intercepts (ie let y equal zero). so we have x^3-x^2-8x=0. This becomes x(x^2-x-8)=0. So naturally, x=0 and you use the minus b formula to find the other to values for x. So the x interceptsare (0,0),(3.372,0) and (-2.372,0). It just becomes connecting the dots really. If you want to see it, you can type it in here

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Ye had me very confused there for a while - just after realising why I couldn't do that ticket question - I was working out the price of a family ticket. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dorcan

was anyone else upset that differentiation from first principles or proof by induction didn't show up. i thought they would have been handy enough especially first principles.
    paper wasn't to bad over all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

No.

Really? Why do we now have to learn off definitions for a theorem, axiom etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 allieobrien

Would anyone have the answers to the financial maths questions ?
    a=-1 and b=-8. To find the co-ordinates of the turning points, you just sub in x=2 and x=-4/3 into the equation using the fact that a=-1 and b=-8. One is(2,-12) and the other is(-1.333, 6.519. To draw the graph of it, you first find the x intercepts (ie let y equal zero). so we have x^3-x^2-8x=0. This becomes x(x^2-x-8)=0. So naturally, x=0 and you use the minus b formula to find the other to values for x. So the x interceptsare (0,0),(3.372,0) and (-2.372,0). It just becomes connecting the dots really. If you want to see it, you can type it in here

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

I hadn't revised sequences and series and it came up as a long question! Was trying to use the formula and sure wasn't it a quadratic sequence and could I even remember the formula for that? Nope!
    My simultaneous didn't work out either but I did 3 different methods... Higher partial credit!!
    Other than that, loved the paper. Few hiccups but with no study done, was to be expected really. Damn Geography cramming!

Really? Why do we now have to learn off definitions for a theorem, axiom etc etc?

I'd be surprised if they asked more than one or two tbh and if they do it will be in the proofs section as it has some relevance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 allieobrien

Finacial maths question answers people ?

Advertisement