Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

The more I think about it the worse I think I did. I couldn't even get the first 2 equations in that ticket question, anyone care to explain where in the name of god those numbers came from.

I hadn't a hope of getting the sequences formulas either, hate the chapter with a passion most of the time and my maths study was severely restricted yesterday by my geography cramming.

Maths really isn't my forte unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Did anyone just do the amortisation formula for both financial maths parts? I got in the 400s for both think 442 for the girl and 47something or 48 for the man...it seems way too easy because I'm crap at doing the present/future values in the series things so either it went over my head or it really was that simple I don't know haha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ah god at that cubic graph q, I did out -b and everything and got the right answers but I felt my graph looked really dodgy and just kinda half-did it. Should really have just gone with it. Ah well, hopefully I'll get a good chunk of the marks for getting the points and errr drawing a fair chunk of the graph? Aside from that, getting happier with this paper all the time, looks like I got the ticket question almost completely right bar one of my equations in the last part (never took 4000 from x).

I liked the way on this paper there were so many 'show that this...is equal to this', really gave you a nudge in the right direction. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Bionicle wrote: »
    a=-1 and b=-8. To find the co-ordinates of the turning points, you just sub in x=2 and x=-4/3 into the equation using the fact that a=-1 and b=-8. One is(2,-12) and the other is(-1.333, 6.519. To draw the graph of it, you first find the x intercepts (ie let y equal zero). so we have x^3-x^2-8x=0. This becomes x(x^2-x-8)=0. So naturally, x=0 and you use the minus b formula to find the other to values for x. So the x interceptsare (0,0),(3.372,0) and (-2.372,0). It just becomes connecting the dots really. If you want to see it, you can type it in here

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

Cool thanks wasn't sure about that one but I got it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Did anyone do the financial maths question using a geometric series? Everyone I know used the ammortisation formula but I never even thought of that tbh at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Did anyone do the financial maths question using a geometric series? Everyone I know used the ammortisation formula but I never even thought of that tbh at the time!

I did the first part using a geometric series. Attempted the second one with a series but the answer I got was something like 16345, whatever it was it wasn't right. Retried it with the formula but still didn't get the right answer :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Glee_GG wrote: »

I used it for both

I still don't know why they put sequences/series as a 50 marker? Did they not learn from the jigsaw puzzle?!

I still don't know why they put sequences/series as a 50 marker? Did they not learn from the jigsaw puzzle?!

The matchsticks question was way easier than the jigsaw one in fairness. At least there are loads of questions in the textbooks very similar to what came up. The jigsaw was completely unprecedented

It was pretty strange in all fairness especially when its not that huge a part of the course, like its a fairly short chapter and all in the book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

q5.

(a) I assume everyone could do this.:P
    (b) n^2
    (c) 3n
    (d)a=b=1.5
    (e) 2809

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

Kingkumar wrote: »
    well i got that one completely wrong then ..how do u know there were 16k single tickets sold?

Don't worry KingKumar, giggsy got it wrong because he just assumed 16k single tickets were sold... and you caaan't be doin that :L

You could set up 3 simultaneous equ's:
    Let S=no. of single tickets sold
    Let F=no. of family tickets sold (4 people)
    Attendance was full capacity = 25,000=S+4F

Money made = 365000=16S+Fy (y being price of family ticket and 16 for single)
    Money made if 1k extra family sold = 365000-14000 = 16(S-4000) + y(F+1000)

Working them out Fy and S cancelled and you gots the value of y... Could use that then to work out F which I'm pretty sure was 2,500.

Can anybody explain the Financial Maths Q? Really wanna know if I did it right... :/

q5.

(a) I assume everyone could do this.:P
    (b) n^2
    (c) 3n
    (d)a=b=1.5
    (e) 2809

I got 2916 for (e) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

My financial maths figures were like 370-390 or something for Niamh and about 482 for Conall I think... Anybody know how this question was done or at least get the same figures? I hate financial maths

Aplogies. I made a small arithemtic mistake for q6 part (e) The actual answer is 2704.

Aplogies. I made a small arithemtic mistake for q6 part (e) The actual answer is 2704.
    hope thats what I got, it sounds familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Christ lads don't beat yourselves up by doing postmortems. It's 10 years since i did the leaving but no good can come from analysing the paper afterwards. It's over and nothing can change your grade now. Same applies for college. It will destroy you if you see something you should have known afterwards.

Good luck all.

Conballz wrote: »
    My financial maths figures were like 370-390 or something for Niamh and about 482 for Conall I think... Anybody know how this question was done or at least get the same figures? I hate financial maths

I got 482, think I messed up first one though I left out the interest on the first term aand I got 360ish so Id say your answer is right

It's true that it's only a small chapter in the book but the financial maths and logarithm 50 markers in the papers are far nicer!

How did people do the last differentiation q? with the second derivatives etc equal to zero?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Conballz wrote: »
    Don't worry KingKumar, giggsy got it wrong because he just assumed 16k single tickets were sold... and you caaan't be doin that :L

You could set up 3 simultaneous equ's:
    Let S=no. of single tickets sold
    Let F=no. of family tickets sold (4 people)
    Attendance was full capacity = 25,000=S+4F

Money made = 365000=16S+Fy (y being price of family ticket and 16 for single)
    Money made if 1k extra family sold = 365000-14000 = 16(S-4000) + y(F+1000)

Working them out Fy and S cancelled and you gots the value of y... Could use that then to work out F which I'm pretty sure was 2,500.

Can anybody explain the Financial Maths Q? Really wanna know if I did it right... :/

I did out that question 3 times haha, I think I did the simultaneous equations route but ended you getting like 2180 family tickets. I'll get the highpartial credit I reckon cos I knew (kinda) what I was doing

How did people do the last differentiation q? with the second derivatives etc equal to zero?.

Mine equalled 1? So I just left it there for some HPC :P
    And I only realised it was a tangent to the curve at x=2. I just got the slope :rolleyes:

The first derivative was 1+ 1/(1-x^2)^.5. The second derivative was x/(1-x^2)^1.5.

The first derivative was 1+ 1/(1-x^2)^.5. The second derivative was x/(1-x^2)^1.5.

If you looked at the info though it said if y = sin^-1(x) + x, could you not see that x is zero because the other two canceled from our info in part (i) or have I missed something?

Is that where you had to show that it equalled 0? I struggled with that, left it, then came back to it near the end, doing the derivatives out carefully and it worked. Was fairly tricky though, more so that it was easy to make a slip rather than to not know what you were supposed to do..

Ya thaats the one, I saw that x was zero and just plugged that in... I assume I oversimplified it now but it seemed to imply x was zero with the first piece of info given

How did your method use the first piece of info though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

what are high partial credits?

If you looked at the info though it said if y = sin^-1(x) + x, could you not see that x is zero because the other two canceled from our info in part (i) or have I missed something?

I did this too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Lollipops13

Am I the only person who thought it was a disaster after question 1 and 2?!!

The two questions are unrelated, which I admit is a bit confusing/ambiguous

• Advertisement

what are high partial credits?

The new system of marking. You get get 0,3,5,7,9,10 (or something like that)
    So you would either get it all right or you'd get the second highest mark which would be a High partial credit.

Advertisement