Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 1 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

The two questions are unrelated, which I admit is a bit confusing/ambiguous
    I'm nearly positive they were related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Say I got about 65/75 out of the first three questions but after that it went WAY downhill haha :) After doing so much Financial Maths I forgot how to do it? Is there something I was missing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

For the weird last differentiation one which you had to show equalled zero I remember multiplying one of the fractions by (1-x^2)/(1-x^2) or something similar which managed to somehow make it work out but this could be completely wrong, anyone else do something similar? :P

Didn't say "Hence, or otherwise" so I don't think they were related.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

I suppose they're vaguely related in that they tell you how to differentiate inverse sine functions, but in the first part it defines y as being equal to inverse sine of x and in the second part y= x+ inverse sine x. They're two separate functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

I reckon unfollowing this a thread would be a good idea. Nothing worse than comparing my answers with others and realizing mine were wrong :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

If you looked at the info though it said if y = sin^-1(x) + x, could you not see that x is zero because the other two canceled from our info in part (i) or have I missed something?
    The derivative of x is 1. I am using the info from the first part. The first part was exclusively y=sin^-1(x) while the second was the sum of sin^-1(x) + x. If you differentiate a sum, you differentiate each term individually. So sin^-1(x) becomes what it says it becomes in part (i) and x becomes 1. The derivative of a constant is zero, not x.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

D_s wrote: »
    That was a lovely paper!

I'm in a Pilot school so I don't know which parts were different but,
    Off the top of my head, answers I can remember so we can all compare and feel happy/feel shít:

Rate or change for the raindrop = 0.2122 mm/s

I'm in a Pilot school too and I got similar answers to you, but got a fierce weird answer for the raindrop.

6 x 4(pi)(r^2) , so about 150mm/s, any idea what I did wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 onlineavatar

Did anyone else get 2500 for the number of family tickets in Q5?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Didn't say "Hence, or otherwise" so I don't think they were related.

My teacher said that they were related, after all they were part (i) and (ii), it they were totally separate they would've been part a and part b, regardless if there's a large amount of people who relate the two, or there's ambiguity in the question they'll have to give the marks.

• Advertisement

Bionicle wrote: »
    The derivative of x is 1. I am using the info from the first part. The first part was exclusively while the second was the sum of . If you differentiate a sum, you differentiate each term individually. So sin^-1(x) becomes what it says it becomes in part (i) and x becomes 1. The derivative of a constant is zero, not x.

Yeah but if y=sin^-1(x) and sin^-1(x) + x=y then can you not say x=0 in this case? Pretty unclear on their behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

93MI4ak

My solution to the financial maths, I found it really easy. I seem to be alone on that. http://imgur.com/93MI4ak

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Yeah but if y=sin^-1(x) and sin^-1(x) + x=y then can you not say x=0 in this case? Pretty unclear on their behalf

You're not really grasping that it's a function. Yes x is zero at one point, but only in the same way that say y=3x is also zero at one point. You have to look at the whole range of values of x

sganyfx wrote: »
    93MI4ak

My solution to the financial maths, I found it really easy. I seem to be alone on that. http://imgur.com/93MI4ak

Not remotely veiled "I am class at maths" comment... :)

Not remotely veiled "I am class at maths" comment... :)

Pardon? I am by no means bragging, just hoping to help others.

You're not really grasping that it's a function. Yes x is zero at one point, but only in the same way that say y=3x is also zero at one point. You have to look at the whole range of values of x

I thought it wasn't a function; I thought it was the angle in the triangle that was Y?

Pardon? I am by no means bragging, just hoping to help others.

I'm just kidding man...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

I thought I had done grand (relatively speaking :p ) but this thread is just depressing me!
    *crawls back into hovel and pretends it'll all be ok*

• Registered Users Posts: 2 miny44

Oh I totally forgot to write the make and model of the calculator inside the cover, never saw it, such a fool but surely it wont make much difference? hope anyway.... :-)

miny44 wrote: »
    Oh I totally forgot to write the make and model of the calculator inside the cover, never saw it, such a fool but surely it wont make much difference? hope anyway.... :-)

I can only see it making a difference when you are dealing with MASSIVE numbers such as in some Paper 2 questions, some financial mathematics ones and Physics questions. For today's exam I doubt it will make any sort of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I did the weird inverse sine questions out without whatever ye did subbing in 0 (no idea if that's allowed or not tbh, nothing of the sort occurred to me) and after attempting the question a second time it worked. There were so many powers and it just took being really, really careful to work it out, I'm sure that for most people that it didn't work out for the loss of marks will be minimal. :)

EDIT: Heh didn't even see the space for the make/model of calculator. Well, putting it in on Paper 2 will just have to suffice for them. :p

I'm just kidding man...

^_^ Hope to God I got that question right, since I am claiming to have a solution :P

^_^ Hope to God I got that question right, since I am claiming to have a solution :P

I got different answer tbh but Im useless at financial maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yeah I got a different answer for that FM q, that said I completely lost my head on that one and attempted the question four different times using every method possible in the hope that one would be right. :L

I got different answer tbh but Im useless at financial maths

To be fair I am probably wrong as well. I don't think financial maths is nice to anyone, but those numbers look somewhat decent I guess. Hopefully they give a crap load of attempt marks for it :D

To be fair I am probably wrong as well. I don't think financial maths is nice to anyone, but those numbers look somewhat decent I guess. Hopefully they give a crap load of attempt marks for it :D

Your P should have been 15000, not the A of the formula. I pretty much love financial. Devastated it wasn't a long question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Enigma625

To be honest it was to be expected that no proofs came up, project maths is about mathematical ability not one's regurgitation powers.

is that why theres so many on the syllabus, which was only just created? lots of things were taken off the syllabus when the project began. so it can be assumed that anything left on could easily come up. and considering the amount of proofs that COULD have come up, it was a surprise that they didnt in fairness..

Your P should have been 15000, not the A of the formula. I pretty much love financial. Devastated it wasn't a long question.

Her total amount at the end was 15000 no? So she would have put P in each month. I doubt the letters used will cost me marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Who_Knows

If the two parts are connected and you say x=0, that means in the triangle the length of the side opposite y would be 0. That's impossible, so the two parts can't be connected. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 roberth

Thought it was good but I made stupid little mistakes at the end of Q5 and 6 and in the integration graph too, I put the wrong number into the calculator after the simultaneous equation in Q5 (d) and then got the wrong answer in (e) as a result. There was a bit of that going on for me. Calculus was challenging I thought, but I got there in the end. Need paper 2 to be kind to us if I have any shot at the A. Best of luck lads!

Advertisement