Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Geography Study

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lulub75

no i swear i wrote that from my head, thats why i replied after :) but thats a good sign i actually know something :D i hope this comes up in the question im answering :DDD im sooo happy

We'll if u wrote it from ur head ur one SMART COOKIE :D hahaha u will DEFO get a A+

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Lost In Confusion

Lulub75 wrote: »
    We'll if u wrote it from ur head ur one SMART COOKIE :D hahaha u will DEFO get a A+

nah that was just a lucky one.... ill end up with such a bad grade in the actuall thing oh fml :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lulub75

nah that was just a lucky one.... ill end up with such a bad grade in the actuall thing oh fml :(

Be POSITIVE :D u will do unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Give one example of an industry you studied, and explain it in detail? (I'm not sure if that's a legit question xD)

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Give one example of an industry you studied, and explain it in detail? (I'm not sure if that's a legit question xD)

if that came up i'd ignore it all I know is PC pro and it's a footloose companny :D there we go :D hhaha ask me something else :P
    thank God we have a choice

• Advertisement

if that came up i'd ignore it all I know is PC pro and it's a footloose companny :D there we go :D hhaha ask me something else :P
    thank God we have a choice

Give two results of overpopulation or rapid population growth in a city you have studied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Gonna do some last-minute cramming for Geography now and the HL maths will be grand :P

Give two results of overpopulation or rapid population growth in a city you have studied?

The City I have studied that has had negative impacts on the city because of rapid population growth is a developed city named Hong Kong.

Some of the results of the rapid population growth of Hong Kong are outlined below...

1. Overcrowding
    Hong Kong's rapid population growth has led to overcrowding, many people live in huge skyscrapers that can be up to 100 stories high, this is because land is so scarce. Some people live in boats in the harbour. Land is becoming very scarce that now, new buildings are built in polders-land reclaimed from the sea. Schools have a two day shift in which teachers and students attend from morning to afternoon and other students attending from afternoon to evening. Graveyards try to satisfy their customers by bunk graveyards in which bodies are buried in a bunk bed style.

2.Lack of Clean Water
    Hong Kong is a developed city that that provides clean water for it's inhabitants but people living on the harbour pollute the water by littering. The plastics that are littered in water cause diseases such as hypetaytis and gastroenteritis.

These are the two effects of rapid population growth, in the developed City of Hong Kong.

More please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

Can you use meanders as deposition or erosion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

Stooped wrote: »
    Can you use meanders as deposition or erosion?

both

• Advertisement

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    both

our teacher says if it says erosion or depostition to try make it espically one sort of to make it clearer when someone asked

Guys if it gives you an area and asks you why the town developed around the area can you say because of the tourist function? I need 3 I have ecclesiastical function but i dont have the other 2 I suppose the port function would be one as well. what else?
    never mind i found it it's defence and the other is port :P i looked at the paper :L

Can a sea cave or sea stop be counted as coastal erosion or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Guys if it gives you an area and asks you why the town developed around the area can you say because of the tourist function? I need 3 I have ecclesiastical function but i dont have the other 2 I suppose the port function would be one as well. what else?
    never mind i found it it's defence and the other is port :P i looked at the paper :L

Can a sea cave or sea stop be counted as coastal erosion or no?

Defensive settlement, hence a castle or something to do with defence
    Bridgepoint settlement, if it is near a river it can provide water and a method of transport for the first settlers

Hope that helps :D

Defensive settlement, hence a castle or something to do with defence
    Bridgepoint settlement, if it is near a river it can provide water and a method of transport for the first settlers

Hope that helps :D

do you know if sea caves can be counted as coastal erosion?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

The City I have studied that has had negative impacts on the city because of rapid population growth is a developed city named Hong Kong.

Some of the results of the rapid population growth of Hong Kong are outlined below...

1. Overcrowding
    Hong Kong's rapid population growth has led to overcrowding, many people live in huge skyscrapers that can be up to 100 stories high, this is because land is so scarce. Some people live in boats in the harbour. Land is becoming very scarce that now, new buildings are built in polders-land reclaimed from the sea. Schools have a two day shift in which teachers and students attend from morning to afternoon and other students attending from afternoon to evening. Graveyards try to satisfy their customers by bunk graveyards in which bodies are buried in a bunk bed style.

2.Lack of Clean Water
    Hong Kong is a developed city that that provides clean water for it's inhabitants but people living on the harbour pollute the water by littering. The plastics that are littered in water cause diseases such as hypetaytis and gastroenteritis.

These are the two effects of rapid population growth, in the developed City of Hong Kong.

More please :D

Your first point isn't really overcrowding, its more lack of space. Overcrowding is when there is not enough resources to supply the population. Netherlands is a tiny country but has a population of like 19 million but it isn't overcrowdied. You can have a place that has very little people per kilometre and it can be overcrowded if there is not enough food.

Our teacher always told us to be careful of that as many people mix them up but they are 2 different things

Bluestrike wrote: »
    Your first point isn't really overcrowding, its more lack of space. Overcrowding is when there is not enough resources to supply the population. Netherlands is a tiny country but has a population of like 19 million but it isn't overcrowdied. You can have a place that has very little people per kilometre and it can be overcrowded if there is not enough food.

Our teacher always told us to be careful of that as many people mix them up but they are 2 different things

okay thanks :) i'll take that into account, can you ask me more geography questions im so scared for this

do you know if sea caves can be counted as coastal erosion?

Yes, usually i would use Sea Arch because you can add in the caves part as it can be formed from 2 caves meeting. Then just go on and say how its formed using Hydraulic Action, Abrasion, Attrition and Compressed Air(not so important). But yes, a cave is a form of coastal erosion as is a headland, sea arch, sea stack etc

Yes, usually i would use Sea Arch because you can add in the caves part as it can be formed from 2 caves meeting. Then just go on and say how its formed using Hydraulic Action, Abrasion, Attrition and Compressed Air(not so important). But yes, a cave is a form of coastal erosion as is a headland, sea arch, sea stack etc

but does coastal not mean it has to do with the coast

okay thanks :) i'll take that into account, can you ask me more geography questions im so scared for this

Don't be scared, its your Junior Cert and they aren't out to get you. Plus, you will have a choice so just avoid the ones you dont know. At the start read over the paper and choose which 3 long Questions you will do.

(i) Name a rock type and an example of this

(ii) Name and explain 2 uses of rocks

but does coastal not mean it has to do with the coast

all of them are to do with the coast, the sea erodes all of them to form these features

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Damn it's so hard to keep touch with all these damn updating threads, could you not see there was another thread about geography that was made? Anyway for erosion and deposition of sea and river i chose for sea, bay and headland and sand dune. For river i chose V-Shaped Valley and Levee as they are simple and have extra info that is really easy to memorise. Dunno why everyone is going for oxbow lake and waterfall, sure they are longer to explain but that's not the point.

Damn it's so hard to keep touch with all these damn updating threads, could you not see there was another thread about geography that was made? Anyway for erosion and deposition of sea and river i chose for sea, bay and headland and sand dune. For river i chose V-Shaped Valley and Levee as they are simple and have extra info that is really easy to memorise. Dunno why everyone is going for oxbow lake and waterfall, sure they are longer to explain but that's not the point.

Why wouldn't we do them? You come across as if doing them is a bad idea.

Don't be scared, its your Junior Cert and they aren't out to get you. Plus, you will have a choice so just avoid the ones you dont know. At the start read over the paper and choose which 3 long Questions you will do.

(i) Name a rock type and an example of this

(ii) Name and explain 2 uses of rocks

The rock I have chosen is marble. Marble is a metamorphic rock which was a sedimentary rock that changed due to pressure of magma. Marble is a beautiful natural resource which can be used for headstones,kitchen counter tops and even fireplaces.

Rocks have a variety of different functions, two of these functions are for building and another function of rocks are for scenery and studying.

Beautiful stones such as sandstone are used to make beautiful buildings, the GPO in Dublin is made out of sandstone.

Stones lie in beds of strata which may be interesting for tourists visiting the area.

Limestone contains fossil prints of animals that lived many years ago, this may be interesting for historians trying to find out about the past.

Okay I made all of that up so don't laugh XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

I just revised rocks and weathering, so please god they come up.

going to aim for an a with one days cramming, might work you never know :P I always say aim high and expect low :P

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Why wouldn't we do them? You come across as if doing them is a bad idea.

"You came across", i guess i did.

"You came across", i guess i did.

:confused:

:confused:

what's he saying o.O or she

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SomberClaws

Can we all get along? ^_^ now, does anyone have any tips for the exam itself, like what the examiner is looking for, etc?

• Advertisement

Can we all get along? ^_^ now, does anyone have any tips for the exam itself, like what the examiner is looking for, etc?

Who's not getting along? There's no hostilities I can see, so there's no need.

Advertisement