Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone successfully refinanced lately?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I have a mortgage, credit union loan and credit card bill.
    All outstanding finances were incurred in purchasing and renovating my home.
    Luckily, and thankfully, the value of my home is greater than my outstanding debt.
    I'd like to amalgamate all my repayments.
    Do banks offer such opportunities anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Addle wrote: »
    I have a mortgage, credit union loan and credit card bill.
    All outstanding finances were incurred in purchasing and renovating my home.
    Luckily, and thankfully, the value of my home is greater than my outstanding debt.
    I'd like to amalgamate all my repayments.
    Do banks offer such opportunities anymore?

Doubt it. Its a pretty stupid idea to take non mortgage debt and pay it over a mortgage term. ie paying a credit card bill over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Anyone wrote: »
    Doubt it. Its a pretty stupid idea to take non mortgage debt and pay it over a mortgage term. ie paying a credit card bill over 20 years.

While building up a big balance on an credit card with high interest rates is not a clever idea, its certainly not a stupid idea to move debt from 15%+ down to mortgage rates.

If you have €10,000 on a credit card bill and can only allocate say €125 a month against it, then you are just paying the interest and the amount owing will remain at €10,000.

But if you can move that €10,000 to a mortgage rate and allocate €125 a month to it, you will be paying both interest and capital, and you would have the full capital balance paid off in 8 years.

If you have a 20 year mortgage, it doesnt necessarily mean you have to take the full 20 years to pay it down. Increased or lump sum payments are allowed (subject to any fixed rate you lock into).

However, for a bank to agree to increase your mortgage, they'd wanna be very sure your loan to value ratio is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks for the replies.
    Is it worth my while even approaching a bank?!
    My debt is about 60% of the value of my home.

And I'm only a couple of years into my mortgage.

Is it bad to have a refused application on record?

Anyone wrote: »

Would that be better than struggling to pay for it now though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Would that be better than struggling to pay for it now though?

No - it's not a stupid idea in the slightest.

But, if you're struggling to pay it, it wouldn't look good for getting a mortgage top-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

And I'm only a couple of years into my mortgage.

Is it bad to have a refused application on record?

It isn't really bad, unless you make number of applications in short period of time. The result of an application isn't recorded, only number of them.
    What is bad on records is arrears and missed payments really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would you not get a credit card that has an interest free period? The most ridiculous thing to do is to pile on short term debt on to long term debt.

You might still be paying for that credit card bill in 25-35 years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hfallada wrote: »
    Would you not get a credit card that has an interest free period? The most ridiculous thing to do is to pile on short term debt on to long term debt.

You might still be paying for that credit card bill in 25-35 years
    As noted above, it's not silly to do what the OP wants to do, in principle. If he has the discipline to make over payments to clear the added capital. If he just adds the CC debt to the mortgage and pays it off over the remaining life of the mortgage then yes, it's a poor decision as it will cost a lot more in the long run.

I have the means to pay off my credit card bill with savings but can only access the savings if i pay off my credit union loan...

• Advertisement
Advertisement