Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21working days for UK cheque to clear?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me why it takes 21 working days (with bank hol this is taking 1 month) for a sterling cheque to clear?

I have bank here blaming uk bank, but it left uk account 4 days (not working days, paid in Friday left UK bank account on Tuesday).
    The uk bank says it shouldn't take that long as its long gone their side, they blame irish bank.
    In this day and age, with all the technology, surely this can be done faster?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

There's a long stupid process involving the cheque getting posted between banks for verification etc.. There's no way to speed it up unfortunately. The rule of thumb is don't use cheques because cheques are retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Credit transfers are the only way to do it. Cheques are very archaic and generally cause hassle. Funds transfers are faster, more effecient and can't bounce. 21 days is a joke but generally banks say with foreign cheques theres no timeframe on them being cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'll know in future, bloody nuisance!

Advertisement