Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest beach in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I'm looking to bring my little boy to the beach tomorrow afternoon if the weather is like this? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That one in Killiney that the Dart stops at, great childhood memories. A bit rocky though, but that's to be expected outside of the Wesht.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Was down at the "Hole in the Wall" in Sutton earlier and it was glorious. No antisocial behavior either that I could see (shame to have to say that, but c'est la vie), just loads of families having a great time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

This will be a short thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dollymount is great for paddling, kite flying, digger playing and the dunes are good for cowboys and indians. If your boy is older a walk to the end of the island is a great challenge. Two entrances, the bull wall end or the causeway end. Bull wall end is probably a bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

The obvious two to mention are dollymount strand on bull island and the velvet strand at portmarnock. It is a gorgeous beach and very long and sandy.

There are also sand dunes, with grassland inbetween the main dunes and the beach.

There is sandycove beach which is lovelyand quaint, although very small :D

f you want a bit more vibrancy to the area, you could always go down to bray beach. it is a shail/pebble beach though.

There are plenty of other smaller beaches too. White rock beach is a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks guys might try Dollymount tomorrow and see how he gets on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

little clip of Portmarnock beach from last week..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQUf5ccXdu0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Was at the Hole in the Wall in Sutton yesterday and today, and it was glorious. Only draw back to it is that there is very little parking to be had, as it's on a narrow residential road.

Love Dollier for a walk, but that's it. The water quality isn't as good as other beaches. You'd be driven mad by all the flies, and as it's so open exposed to Dublin Bay, it can be very windy and chilly even on the sunniest of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Seapoint is a lovely spot, safe to swim plenty of open space and near the dart

usually skanger free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Love Dollier for a walk, but that's it. The water quality isn't as good as other beaches. You'd be driven mad by all the flies, and as it's so open exposed to Dublin Bay, it can be very windy and chilly even on the sunniest of days.

Water quality at Dollymount is actually good. It's better than anything north of the Bailey lighthouse and south of Killiney. The causeway end is cleanest as the problem is with the water from the Liffey which can carry pollution after heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Dollymount: Great sand. Always VERY windy. And when the tide is out ... it's MILES out :)
    Killiney: VERY stony and dangerous for anyone to swim who is not experienced.
    Portmarnock: Beautiful sand and Very safe. Can be windy depending on the wind direction and strength.
    Glasthule: Perfect for under 6's. Sand, no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Was chatting with a guy today who, like me, was enjoying the sea views at Blackrock Dart for a few minutes and he told me that Sandy Cove is a blue flag beach, which I wasn't aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sandycove is lovely, but it is tiny, absolutely tiny. My aunt used to take me there as a kid and it was always uncomfortably jammers. You can't really spread out the way that you can at Dollier or Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Sandycove is lovely, but it is tiny, absolutely tiny. My aunt used to take me there as a kid and it was always uncomfortably jammers. You can't really spread out the way that you can at Dollier or Portmarnock.
    It's for tots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Apart from Portmarnock beach, which in my opinion is be far the nicest in the city few people remember the little gem thats 'The Shelly Banks down by the south wall.

Well worth the trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Apart from Portmarnock beach, which in my opinion is be far the nicest in the city few people remember the little gem thats 'The Shelly Banks down by the south wall.

Well worth the trek.

shhhh...you'll have everyone down there ;)

Advertisement