Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**OL Maths Paper 1 - Before/After **

• 06-06-2013 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I think people really underestimate how hard the OL exam can be.

Paper 1 is handy enough up to the differentiation stuff. That's rocket science!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Praying for a D3 at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Going to end up coming out of this exam crying. GG everyone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

any advice?? just need a pass.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Hope to good God standard deviation and all that lark don't come up or else i'm ruined!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HANDSOME!

Just need a D3 to pass and I'm bricking it I wont get it hahahahahha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I don't even know what's on paper 1! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

shootie wrote: »
    I think people really underestimate how hard the OL exam can be.

Paper 1 is handy enough up to the differentiation stuff. That's rocket science!

If you were doing honours up until after the mocks you'd see how much easier it is really, it's not even comparable. You have to learn off differentiations of sin and stuff of by heart, the hardest part in ordinary is just remembering differentiation from first principles method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Does anyone know where to find a list of all the topics on paper 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Lads, attempt everything on the paper. Write something down for every question, even if you don't have a clue. You could be surprised and get marks for it. You should have no blanks on your exam, at all. Know your definitions of an irrational number/the converse of a theorem/prime number, as they regularly appear in the sample papers and may appear in the Q1 tomorrow. Make sure you know how to use the different rules in differentiation (produce/quotient/chain). As well as that, make sure you know the basic rule of simple differentiation. Know how to use the 'Tn' and 'Sn' formula -> (a = the first term ; d = the common difference). I have a feeling that something may come up asking to give whether the series is arithmetic, geometric or neither. :

1.) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 are all seperated by + 1 ~> Arithmetic
    2.) 1,3,9,27,81 are all seperated by * 3 ~> Geometric
    3.) 1,4,9,16,25 are neither because they are not seperated by +, -, /, or *

Go over your complex numbers, i.e that an i(squared) switches to -1. Remember that the conjugate of z (the z with the line over the top of it) is the same as z, just change the sign in the middle. e.g -> z = 1+i conjugate of z = 1-i

And finally, make sure you know your distance, speed and time thing. As in, the type of questions asking when the speed of the ball equal zero, or when they tell you to find the distance that it traveled.

Look over the sample questions and attempt some of these questions.. They are all relatively simple once you get the hang of them..!

Again, MAKE SURE you leave NO blanks. Write SOMETHING down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mepsipax

Hey everybody,
    I've kinda been out of school for most of this year in maths so I literally have no clue what could come up tomorrow, I don't even have papers to see what *could* come up! I always do well anyway, but could someone tell me what can come up in the off chance there's something on it I'm not familiar with? Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Computer995

ray2012 wrote: »
    Lads, attempt everything on the paper. Write something down for every question, even if you don't have a clue. You could be surprised and get marks for it. You should have no blanks on your exam, at all. Know your definitions of an irrational number/the converse of a theorem/prime number, as they regularly appear in the sample papers and may appear in the Q1 tomorrow. Make sure you know how to use the different rules in differentiation (produce/quotient/chain). As well as that, make sure you know the basic rule of simple differentiation. Know how to use the 'Tn' and 'Sn' formula -> (a = the first term ; d = the common difference). I have a feeling that something may come up asking to give whether the series is arithmetic, geometric or neither. :

1.) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 are all seperated by + 1 ~> Arithmetic
    2.) 1,3,9,27,81 are all seperated by * 3 ~> Geometric
    3.) 1,4,9,16,25 are neither because they are not seperated by +, -, /, or *

Go over your complex numbers, i.e that an i(squared) switches to -1. Remember that the conjugate of z (the z with the line over the top of it) is the same as z, just change the sign in the middle. e.g -> z = 1+i conjugate of z = 1-i

And finally, make sure you know your distance, speed and time thing. As in, the type of questions asking when the speed of the ball equal zero, or when they tell you to find the distance that it traveled.

Look over the sample questions and attempt some of these questions.. They are all relatively simple once you get the hang of them..!

Again, MAKE SURE you leave NO blanks. Write SOMETHING down.

I am going to marry you someday !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

We dont need a maths set, right? For tomorrow at least

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

stetyrrell wrote: »
    If you were doing honours up until after the mocks you'd see how much easier it is really, it's not even comparable. You have to learn off differentiations of sin and stuff of by heart, the hardest part in ordinary is just remembering differentiation from first principles method.

Hence, why HL get their free 25 points no?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BLiamB

Saw someone on Facebook post this, their teacher made it apparently so I hope it helps

https://sites.google.com/site/5thyearprojectmaths/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

BLiamB wrote: »
    Saw someone on Facebook post this, their teacher made it apparently so I hope it helps

I got so excited there for a minute, I misread the comment and thought it said that their teacher made the actual test :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BLiamB

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I got so excited there for a minute, I misread the comment and thought it said that their teacher made the actual test :p

Sorry about that :P Maybe I should of worded it better :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Sorry about that :P Maybe I should of worded it better :(

No no it's just me and my over exhaustion and praying for a way around having to actually study :D my mind jumps to conclusions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Up studying since 6am and have no clue what to do..Complex numbers are so confusing, already getting frustrated and haven't even started calculus. Cannot wait for all this to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Haven't even studied for this yet! :eek: Anyone know what definitions I should know for Paper 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Jade. wrote: »
    Haven't even studied for this yet! :eek: Anyone know what definitions I should know for Paper 1?
    You need to know to define, rational number, irrational number and a prime number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Can't wait for this. In and out in an hour. Benefits of being a honours student and dropping down I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

35091483.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Can't wait for this. In and out in an hour. Benefits of being a honours student and dropping down I suppose!
    You say that now, but you never know what might happen....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

My maths teacher made this, Ratoath college. (Mr Cahill)

It is very very useful and gives a video for everything that is on the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Just home from the exam left at half 3 :P
    Had it almost all done within an hour

That was such an easy paper.
    Think I got a good B atleast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Well that was hilariously easy

Left just after an hour. Easy paper but there's always those ugly questions such as the length to earth to sun question. Never bothered looking up how to them them :p
    B minimum from paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Any more info on what came up? Teacher here unable to go to the school because of illness. More nervous than they are!

Any more info on what came up? Teacher here unable to go to the school because of illness. More nervous than they are!

I'm sure they would be fine! Questions with differentiation, the acceleration and speed of an object, how much interest was to be paid. Mostly pretty easy questions with a few hard one throughout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Oh that sounds good. So frustrating not being there for them.

Advertisement