Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**OL Maths Paper 1 - Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Jordan537 wrote: »
    q9 was on the paper for me.....

Dunno what test u did then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

ray2012 wrote: »
    You just had to move the decimal place back 8 places, which makes 1.49597871x10(power) of 8

And it was to 2 significant figures, so it would have been 1.50 x 10 (power of 8) .. no ?

I put 1.5 aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

that question wasn't on the paper. There was a q on speed,height - calculus instead.

Awh thank f*ck I thought I left out a question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mayoman1995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

What was the answer to solve the equation with like 27 to the power of 2x = 3 to the power of 10 + x?

The paper with 9 qs was phase 3 , 8 qs phase 2

FrankLamar wrote: »
    What was the answer to solve the equation with like 27 to the power of 2x = 3 to the power of 10 + x?

X= 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

FrankLamar wrote: »

Think I got x=2

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

The paper with 9 questions was for the 24 pilot schools. They're a year ahead of the rest of the schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

NellyDean wrote: »
    OH MY GOD just clicked that .. totally did NOT see q.9

How badly will this **** me over? :(
    I'm after doing the same:(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

I got x=2 for that 27 power one but I did it in my head, didn't know how to do it algebraically....would I still get marks?

I got x=2 for that 27 power one but I did it in my head, didn't know how to do it algebraically....would I still get marks?

Yes but if you got it wrong there would be no work for them to check so you would got zero instead of attempt marks

markjh wrote: »
    The paper with 9 questions was for the 24 pilot schools. They're a year ahead of the rest of the schools.

What schools are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

defiantly failed the exam :(

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    What schools are they?

There's only 24 of them... the majority of students all over the country would have taken the paper with 8 questions....

The functions and differentiation part was from the old course on the 8-question paper.

Those who had the 9-question paper had new, 'project maths' type questions in the functions & differentiation parts.

If you're not in a pilot school, don't be stressing... there was only 8 questions on your paper... you didn't miss one!

There's only 24 of them... the majority of students all over the country would have taken the paper with 8 questions....

The functions and differentiation part was from the old course on the 8-question paper.

Those who had the 9-question paper had new, 'project maths' type questions in the functions & differentiation parts.

If you're not in a pilot school, don't be stressing... there was only 8 questions on your paper... you didn't miss one!
    I cant find a list of them anywhere? Im kind of worried about it...:(

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    I cant find a list of them anywhere? Im kind of worried about it...:(

I'm pretty sure you'd know if you were in a pilot school!

say i get 160 marks in p1, and 100 marks in p2, that takes me to 260 overall, even though i will have failed p2 do i still pass the whole exam

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

i had 9 questions, my school is a pilot school

• Advertisement

say i get 160 marks in p1, and 100 marks in p2, that takes me to 260 overall, even though i will have failed p2 do i still pass the whole exam

yes it's the overall mark they use... as long as you get 40% overall that's all they count.

yes it's the overall mark they use... as long as you get 40% overall that's all they count.
    grand, reckon i got about 160 or there abouts on p1, p1 is my best of the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

shawki wrote: »
    Yes but if you got it wrong there would be no work for them to check so you would got zero instead of attempt marks

Yeah of course, but I got it right so...is that full marks?

Yeah of course, but I got it right so...is that full marks?

Yup full marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

I did the Project Maths paper, gotta say it was the easiest paper I've ever done. I was out nearly an hour early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

how are attempt marks given exactly? Is it just the case that for example, you forgot to do the ending bit of the question?

N64 wrote: »
    how are attempt marks given exactly? Is it just the case that for example, you forgot to do the ending bit of the question?

In general, any correct step you make in a question will get you some marks because any understanding you show of the question earns you marks...
    If you want to get some idea of how the marks are given, have a look at page 24 onwards of this ... gives you some idea how the project maths is marked. No such thing as attempt marks really... they're disguising them as things like 'partial credit' now... same thing really

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2012/LC003GLP030EV.pdf
    There are different scales, some allow for right or wrong answers only, other questions (such as 25 mark q's) are marked on a scale of how right it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

ray2012 wrote: »
    You just had to move the decimal place back 8 places, which makes 1.49597871x10(power) of 8

And it was to 2 significant figures, so it would have been 1.50 x 10 (power of 8) .. no ?

AARRRRGGGHHHH I forgot to round up to 1.5, I said 1.4. So stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Really liked that paper, hope Paper 2 doesn't screw me over now, or i could be off course for a high grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Not even the 60 marker ???

Ah no that was very easy alright! :D just the end of the paper really!

Advertisement