Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**OL Maths Paper 1 - Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

Ha just realised I left out the entire question 9, didnt even see it. All I want to do is pass anyway so how bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

does anyone know is it just the two circle formulas not included in the log tables .. - the general equation and the one for centre (0,0)

also hope this doesnt sound really stupid but where did ye get the points for the cubic function question on paper one?like the numbers to sub in for the x's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

clairek6 wrote: »
    does anyone know is it just the two circle formulas not included in the log tables .. - the general equation and the one for centre (0,0)

also hope this doesnt sound really stupid but where did ye get the points for the cubic function question on paper one?like the numbers to sub in for the x's?

The formula for the circle with centre (0,0) is
    x(squared) + y(squared) = r (squared)

General formula is in the log book p19 and is
    (x-h)squared + (y-k)squared = r squared
    Where the centre is (h,k) and radius is r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    The formula for the circle with centre (0,0) is
    x(squared) + y(squared) = r (squared)

General formula is in the log book p19 and is
    (x-h)squared + (y-k)squared = r squared
    Where the centre is (h,k) and radius is r

great thank you :) is there any other important formulas not in the log tables though? :o

great thank you :) is there any other important formulas not in the log tables though? :o

No bother,, I really don't no tbh I only moved back to OL a week or 2 before we finished school so I'm not that familiar with what's on the OL paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The Sin, Cos & Tan forumulas are in the log book and there is a helpful guide that helps you figure out which is which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The rise/run formula for slope is not in the tables. To prove two lines are perpendicular you multiply their slopes to get -1; m1*m2=-1. This is not in the tables

Do we get a choice between theorems and constructions on paper 2 does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭navosa

Do we get a choice between theorems and constructions on paper 2 does anyone know?

Yeah in all of the sample papers there was a choice between the constructions and theorems as questions 6A and 6B, I presume it will be same in the exam, hopefully anyways! :cool:

navosa wrote: »
    Yeah in all of the sample papers there was a choice between the constructions and theorems as questions 6A and 6B, I presume it will be same in the exam, hopefully anyways! :cool:

Job! constructions it is :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ulty77

What was the formula for the two cylinders with water? It sounds easy but I just could not get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

i put down 20 +5(n) for the first barrel one, n being tens of seconds, so after 30 seconds 20+5(3) 35cm of water im pretty sure,

could not work out the second wages formula in question 6

tried 16250(n)+1250(n) and it never matched my table.
    also tried 17000(n)+1250(n) and it didnt work out, attempt marks there i hope

would of been 60 marks oonly for that, started the one after it the long way without the formula but never got it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

bitburger wrote: »
    i put down 20 +5(n) for the first barrel one, n being tens of seconds, so after 30 seconds 20+5(3) 35cm of water im pretty sure,

would of been 60 marks oonly for that, started the one after it the long way without the formula but never got it done.

40cm after 30 seconds 25 at zero seconds so the formula would have been 25 + 5n

i may have said that actually i cant remember if im honest, i made the table and i cited 25cm as 00 seconds,

in that case i would have used 25 instead of 20, think it was the first pay formula that i subtracted the first term since it was year 1

BLiamB wrote: »
    Saw someone on Facebook post this, their teacher made it apparently so I hope it helps

https://sites.google.com/site/5thyearprojectmaths/

im definitely stronger at the paper 2 stuff! anybody able to tell me is that everything i should be studying or is there more i should be looking at? dont think i passed the 40% marker for p1 so im going to study my ass off today and tomorrow for p2.

ulty77 wrote: »
    What was the formula for the two cylinders with water? It sounds easy but I just could not get it!

I had for tank A : 25+5(time in seconds over 10)

Tank B: 10+7.5(time in seconds over 10)

Also there was probably a few formulas that would of worked,,I'd imagine once it matched your table you would get full marks?

bitburger wrote: »

If that's the salary question your on about could you not have used the Tn and Sn formulas from the log book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

If that's the salary question your on about could you not have used the Tn and Sn formulas from the log book?

I copied the formula from the log book for the question about determining Peter's overall salary over the fifteen years.

Think I ended up with something like €226,000 which seemed right, I wasn't going to go working it out by hand to make sure though.

I copied the formula from the log book for the question about determining Peter's overall salary over the fifteen years.

Think I ended up with something like €226,000 which seemed right, I wasn't going to go working it out by hand to make sure though.

I think I got just over €226,000 aswell so we must be right ;) same about working it out by hand, I had time to do it and all but just seemed like some effort haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Didn't study as I dropped from HL after Easter (after passing the HL mock) and thought it was a decent paper. Was horrendously sick so I kinda skimmed through it, only left two parts unattempted. That said, I'm pretty sure not everything I did was right, but I'll take a D3 seeing as I'm not counting it for points. Paper two is usually easier IMO anyway, statistics and the like.

It was over 11 years from the start of 05 to the end of 15 which worked out as €255750

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

shawki wrote: »
    It was over 11 years from the start of 05 to the end of 15 which worked out as €255750

11 years?? :O shi*e I put down ten years :o surely is was 10 no? 2015-2005?

Barster wrote: »
    11 years?? :O shi*e I put down ten years :o surely is was 10 no? 2015-2005?

Count it with your fingers that's the only way I could be sure in the exam hall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

Count it with your fingers that's the only way I could be sure in the exam hall!

I counted it out multiple times because I knew it wasn't that easy. I'm now wondering whether I did put down ten or eleven.

Either way, anyone who put down ten will still get high partial credit. Only one or two marks will be deducted.

(g) Using your formula, or otherwise, find the total amount earned by Peter from the start of 2005 up to the end 2015.

Your right :/ annoyed with meself for not copping on to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

yeah I was one of the ones who put down ten , but I showed how I got 10 by 2015-2005 = 10 so hopefully I'll only lose one or two marks and get the majority. I need a B3 in maths so lets hope I got it :P

Barster wrote: »
    yeah I was one of the ones who put down ten , but I showed how I got 10 by 2015-2005 = 10 so hopefully I'll only lose one or two marks and get the majority. I need a B3 in maths so lets hope I got it :P

I showed how I got it aswell so hopefully will only be -1 mark....I'm looking for an A !

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paraiceen

There's going to be a lot of controversy with the pilot schools' paper 1.

Their paper 1 was identical to all other schools except they had to do an extra question!!

Seems that their question 7 was on Product & Quotient rules, which are not on the new course!!

If you happen to be in one of these pilot schools, you end up having to do the same paper as everybody else plus an extra question!!

Don't know how they can make ammends for this to the students affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Does any website have the answers to paper 1 up???

Advertisement