Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**OL Maths Paper 1 - Before/After **

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

paraiceen wrote: »
    There's going to be a lot of controversy with the pilot schools' paper 1.

Their paper 1 was identical to all other schools except they had to do an extra question!!

Seems that their question 7 was on Product & Quotient rules, which are not on the new course!!

If you happen to be in one of these pilot schools, you end up having to do the same paper as everybody else plus an extra question!!

Don't know how they can make ammends for this to the students affected.

In the Sample 20, they will see has it had an effect on the marks and if it has, they will adjust the marking scheme to benefit the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

What definitions do we have to know for paper 2? Any idea where to get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

For the turning points I differentiated f(x),,then factorised my answer and got two x-values and subbed them back into f(x) to get my y values ,,cos f(x)=y would this be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    For the turning points I differentiated f(x),,then factorised my answer and got two x-values and subbed them back into f(x) to get my y values ,,cos f(x)=y would this be right?

Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Does anyone have a list of the theorems that are needed to be known, or anything? My teacher never did the majority of them with us and I just remembered them there.. fairly late!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

From the syllabus:

Students will study proofs of Theorems 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 20,
    21, and Corollary 6.
    No proofs are examinable. Students will be examined using problems
    that can be attacked using the theory.

also...

A knowledge of the Axioms, concepts, Theorems and Corollaries pre-
    scribed for JC-OL will be assumed

and this is what's on the JC-OL, which you must also know for LC-OL
    The students should be exposed to some formal proofs. They will not be
    examined on these. They will see Axioms 1,2,3,4,5, and study the proofs of
    Theorems 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13 (statement only), 14, 15; and direct proofs
    of Corollaries 3, 4.

I know the maths book we use numbers them in the same way as the syllabus so you can prob follow that

markjh wrote: »
    From the syllabus:

Students will study proofs of Theorems 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 18, 20,
    21, and Corollary 6.
    No proofs are examinable. Students will be examined using problems
    that can be attacked using the theory.

also...

A knowledge of the Axioms, concepts, Theorems and Corollaries pre-
    scribed for JC-OL will be assumed

and this is what's on the JC-OL, which you must also know for LC-OL
    The students should be exposed to some formal proofs. They will not be
    examined on these. They will see Axioms 1,2,3,4,5, and study the proofs of
    Theorems 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13 (statement only), 14, 15; and direct proofs
    of Corollaries 3, 4.

Thanks a million! I'll be sure to go over it all tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

ray2012 wrote: »
    I knew something about the arithmetic sequence would come up (I posted to learn it on page 1 of this thread ;) )
    It's great to have my first good paper of the leaving cert, considering English paper 1 and 2 went ****e.

Hoping for attempt marks in sections though, like the part getting the local max and min point.. I always failed with those :P

So far our LC experience seems to be identical. About that q. Was that just applying the Sn formula from the logs? I just filled it in, but a friend of mine didn't do that, and she studied soooooo hard for that exam.

Also for the last question in acceleration (very last q. in the exam) what did yee get as the constant? I got -2 but my (other) friend got 10.

Legion. wrote: »
    Didn't study as I dropped from HL after Easter (after passing the HL mock) and thought it was a decent paper. Was horrendously sick so I kinda skimmed through it, only left two parts unattempted. That said, I'm pretty sure not everything I did was right, but I'll take a D3 seeing as I'm not counting it for points. Paper two is usually easier IMO anyway, statistics and the like.

You dropped after passing your mock?! Didn't a ridiculously low figure pass it, like 10% ? Why? If what I heard is true, the bell curve would've bumped you up to an A had it been applied, (and it will be applied to the LC)

Does anyone know if you get an answer correct to a question but don't show any method, or applied a completely incorrect method got a wrong answer crossed that out and put down the correct answer with no workings, are you still entitled to some marks, if not them all as you have the correct answer?

One question I worked out just by punching different numbers into my calculator to see what worked out, the other was about finding the points of a line perpendicular to another line that touched curve, I used a protractor and ruler to do that, i didn't work it out as we were supposed to.

• Advertisement

HugsiePie wrote: »
    So far our LC experience seems to be identical. About that q. Was that just applying the Sn formula from the logs? I just filled it in, but a friend of mine didn't do that, and she studied soooooo hard for that exam.

Also for the last question in acceleration (very last q. in the exam) what did yee get as the constant? I got -2 but my (other) friend got 10.

Lets hope we did well so! :P I'm not sure what I got for that acceleration question..!
    Does anyone know if you get an answer correct to a question but don't show any method, or applied a completely incorrect method got a wrong answer crossed that out and put down the correct answer with no workings, are you still entitled to some marks, if not them all as you have the correct answer?

One question I worked out just by punching different numbers into my calculator to see what worked out, the other was about finding the points of a line perpendicular to another line that touched curve, I used a protractor and ruler to do that, i didn't work it out as we were supposed to.

I think for questions that don't state "Show clearly all workings", you can just write down the answer and get full marks. But if your answer that you wrote down (without any workings) is wrong, you will get no marks, as opposed to maybe getting a few (or even most) if you had shown workings. Haha I did the same thing with that line perpendicular.. Still think I got it wrong though!

I got -10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

+1 on the -10

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Alright guys, how many questions were on the paper? Please say 8, if not I forgot question 9 and need to actually revise for tomorrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I think I may have done better than I thought thinking about it last night! Paper 1 though is normally my strength so hopefully tomorrow will be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    I had for tank A : 25+5(time in seconds over 10)

Tank B: 10+7.5(time in seconds over 10)

I had tn= a + (n-1) d
    a=25 d=5
    25-5+5n
    20+5n

b= 2.5 + 7.5n
    n being the term in the sequence

ray2012 wrote: »
    Lets hope we did well so! :P I'm not sure what I got for that acceleration question..!

I think for questions that don't state "Show clearly all workings", you can just write down the answer and get full marks. But if your answer that you wrote down (without any workings) is wrong, you will get no marks, as opposed to maybe getting a few (or even most) if you had shown workings. Haha I did the same thing with that line perpendicular.. Still think I got it wrong though!

But what if the answer is correct with no workings? I can't remember if the question asked to show workings but it probably did.

shawki wrote: »
    +1 on the -10

S*hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

answers are here , turns out it was actually -10 , go figure .

lets hope paper 2 tomorrow shall be just as nice though! got nearly all of the first paper correct delighted! :D

http://www.studentxpress.ie/ProjectMaths/OL2013Answers.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

Legion. wrote: »
    Alright guys, how many questions were on the paper? Please say 8, if not I forgot question 9 and need to actually revise for tomorrow..

I thought there was only 8 questions as well. Completely missed question 9. Weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Barster wrote: »

lets hope paper 2 tomorrow shall be just as nice though! got nearly all of the first paper correct delighted! :D

Oh wow not many of those answers sound familiar :eek:

Are they DEFINITELY right?
    Now this is probably wrong nut do you guys remember the question about the credit card. Your man in the question bought a shirt for £95 and you had to work out what the total sum on his card would be, well I worked out that the shirt would be €112.12 but then I included the interest on the card which bought it up?
    :confused:

Barster wrote: »

Same if the paper tomorrow goes as well ill be looking at an A on the 14th of August :D

Menelaun wrote: »
    I had tn= a + (n-1) d
    a=25 d=5
    25-5+5n
    20+5n

b= 2.5 + 7.5n
    n being the term in the sequence

Once the formula worked you will get full marks? I'm sure there are several different formulas that would have been 100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HungryEmperor

How is the answer to 1(D) -1 − 2i when the question asks for it to be put in the form x+yi, I got -1-2i but I changed it to 1+2i.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

How is the answer to 1(D) -1 − 2i when the question asks for it to be put in the form x+yi, I got -1-2i but I changed it to 1+2i.

a+bi is just the format they want your answer in... doesn't literally mean that there must be a + in the middle...
    technically you could put in the + and say -1+(-2i)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Aksa94 wrote: »
    I thought there was only 8 questions as well. Completely missed question 9. Weird

Figured it out, there were two papers. One for project maths schools who are on like strand 3 or something and had an extra question. Asked a few people in my year and they confirmed the last question on our paper was about the acceleration of the stone. Was delighted when I heard haha!

Judging by those answers I've had a shocker. Don't remember a lot of the answers mind.. I prefer paper 2 anyway but if I manage to fail OL maths after only dropping so I wouldn't have to worry about it I'll probably die.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

Are they DEFINITELY right?
    Now this is probably wrong nut do you guys remember the question about the credit card. Your man in the question bought a shirt for £95 and you had to work out what the total sum on his card would be, well I worked out that the shirt would be €112.12 but then I included the interest on the card which bought it up?
    :confused:

same here . the question where he bought it online . i thought i was smart to work out the credit aswell but now i dont think it was the right move . its a shame to see in these STATE EXAMS they still didnt iron out the flaws

Advertisement