Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computer Science Conversion

Options
  • 06-06-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi All. Just wondering if this course is being offered this year? The website seems to be down and I cant find any info regarding applications or the likes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Strawberry Oreo

Hi - The course is going ahead but has been slightly restructured due to difficulties with it last year. I believe you will be able to apply in the next week or so. I'll be applying myself then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

It is quite a demanding course: (only 6 weeks holidays over the course of 16 months!) with quite a hectic schedule. This hectic schedule has played silly beggars with the organisation of the course as the School of Comp Sci seemed somewhat unprepared for the sheer scale of material that they had to deliver. More funding would give them more staff; which is really what they want for it - less funding could put it in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

I'll more than likely be applying for this also :)

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the fees for this course. The contact person on the web page said they'd be similar enough to last year (€2700 mark), not that I'm complaining, but it seems low enough for an msc in ucd when you compare it to their €12000 p/a for msc in marketing and the likes.. is the €9000 difference purely to do with the business masters coming from smurfit?

Poppy1314 wrote: »
    I'll more than likely be applying for this also :)

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the fees for this course. The contact person on the web page said they'd be similar enough to last year (€2700 mark), not that I'm complaining, but it seems low enough for an msc in ucd when you compare it to their €12000 p/a for msc in marketing and the likes.. is the €9000 difference purely to do with the business masters coming from smurfit?

Without funding the course would cost students around €12-14k.

There's not a huge amount of difference between the fees for Smurfit EU and non-EU students (which is unusual). I think only Smurfit's MSc in iBusiness is funded in such a manner (fees around 3K iirc)

I believe this is also the last year of funding so I won't be surprised when UCD bumps it up to 10k in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Yeah the fact that the fees are part funded by the government accounts for the difference between other MSc's. Still no sign of the application process opening(peppering to get started). Just out of curiosity what background are those of you thinking of applying from? I Myself did my undergrad in business and law and just finished up a masters in the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

There's not a huge amount of difference between the fees for Smurfit EU and non-EU students (which is unusual). I think only Smurfit's MSc in iBusiness is funded in such a manner (fees around 3K iirc)

In Smurfit MSc iBusiness and MS in Business Analytics are funded by the HEA, as the MSc Computer Science Conversion and other MSc Computer Science are.
    I believe this is also the last year of funding so I won't be surprised when UCD bumps it up to 10k in the next few years.

This funding is being phased out, regular fees will apply in the future and there will be a big jump next year, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Trendy88 - I did my undergrad in Ag.Science Forestry and then did a Masters in Management in Smurfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 c4counter

Hi all! I'm also looking to apply for this one when the applications come up. Does anyone know if it's going to be starting September 2013? It just seems a little late to only have the applications opening now if it is, but meh!

I've got a BA degree in Social Sciences...so nothing related to IT in the slightest. Making my way through a few introductory books about computer science and watching a video series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM) in prep for it.

Would be interesting to hear from some people who were on the course last year??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Amphicoelias

c4counter wrote: »

Would be interesting to hear from some people who were on the course last year??

I`m doing the course this year.

Its very intensive since essentially you are learning about 3 years worth of stuff in a year and a half. You will have to be more productive with your time then I was to do well without sacrificing your social life i.e. get off facebook and boards.ie!

You do a wide range of topics, and then get to choose topics in the final semester (which I haven`t done yet).

The subject I found the hardest was C programming and C++. I would recommend the book C programming in easy steps (the latest edition).

I wish I had got that book during the summer before the course. You could also get the C for dummies if you have time.

You could get the same books for C++, just note that C++ is in the second semester. C programming is worth twice the credits as C++.

In fact I have all of the above books, and some other good ones too. perfect condition, send me a message if you want to get them for a very reasonable price.

The other modules are all quite doable, but a lot of content, so you will be busy.

The introduction to databases courses was a bit of a disaster of us, we had a terrible lecturer.. the exam for it ended up being delayed until today (or September.. we get to choose!). Our replacement lecturer was much better.

Our C programming lecturer was also changed halfway through the course, for the better.

Last year the modules were held in two month/7week blocks; I heard that they may be switching to have double the time studying each module (but modules will be running concurrently).

This may be a good idea, especially for the C programming.

The lecturer in the IPA is great, you will be busy though. I also heard the fees may be increasing, so If they are same this year, it may be the best time to do the course.

If you have come from a physics, engineering, or any background like that with mathematical elements to it, you will probably find the programming easier, its just the way these peoples brains work.

By the way, Im pretty sure the course Is going ahead, but they are just changing the format, I agree, they are leaving it very late, maybe they want less people next year. This year there was over 100 at the start of the course! A few have dropped out but still alot.

• Advertisement

Well if anyone hears about registration opening please post it here! :) I think it'll be available from July 1st.

Also in regards to the course content I believe they are going to put a huge emphasis on Java this year in comparison to C and C++.
    They may also be switching up the delivery of the course, so we may have ipa for 2 days of the week and 3days in UCD rather than doing it in full alternating blocks.

This year there was over 100 at the start of the course! A few have dropped out but still alot.

Did you find having 100 people a big disadvantage in terms of learning and being able to get the most out of the course? In that, it sounds like a very intense 18 months so does the volume of people limit student-professor interaction/ availability to help?

Also I was just wondering from your experience doing the course.. is there a lot of group work on projects etc? I was told the year was split into groups A & B anyway..

Two days ago the course admin said that the site would be back and running early June, but I'm aware we're very much in mid June now so who knows. She just told me to keep checking the web page. :confused:

Why would they switch from C and C++ to Java? I've completed a course in Java and I know it has good fundamentals for learning how to code and that, but surely learning C and C++ would be more practical?

Well that was just my interpretation from a brief conversation with Damien Dalton (Senior lecturer). The course content hasn't been completely defined yet so C and C++ could easily be covered. From what I gathered they want students to master a language so they can easily learn another one by having a solid base rather than rushing through multiple languages.

I really don't know what will remain on the course and what has changed. I do know they are trying to solve a lot of issues with last years course such as being oversubscribed etc and having issues with part time lecturers.

I`m doing the course this year.

Its very intensive since essentially you are learning about 3 years worth of stuff in a year and a half. You will have to be more productive with your time then I was to do well without sacrificing your social life i.e. get off facebook and boards.ie!

You do a wide range of topics, and then get to choose topics in the final semester (which I haven`t done yet).

The subject I found the hardest was C programming and C++. I would recommend the book C programming in easy steps (the latest edition).

I wish I had got that book during the summer before the course. You could also get the C for dummies if you have time.

You could get the same books for C++, just note that C++ is in the second semester. C programming is worth twice the credits as C++.

In fact I have all of the above books, and some other good ones too. perfect condition, send me a message if you want to get them for a very reasonable price.

The other modules are all quite doable, but a lot of content, so you will be busy.

The introduction to databases courses was a bit of a disaster of us, we had a terrible lecturer.. the exam for it ended up being delayed until today (or September.. we get to choose!). Our replacement lecturer was much better.

Our C programming lecturer was also changed halfway through the course, for the better.

Last year the modules were held in two month/7week blocks; I heard that they may be switching to have double the time studying each module (but modules will be running concurrently).

This may be a good idea, especially for the C programming.

The lecturer in the IPA is great, you will be busy though. I also heard the fees may be increasing, so If they are same this year, it may be the best time to do the course.

If you have come from a physics, engineering, or any background like that with mathematical elements to it, you will probably find the programming easier, its just the way these peoples brains work.

By the way, Im pretty sure the course Is going ahead, but they are just changing the format, I agree, they are leaving it very late, maybe they want less people next year. This year there was over 100 at the start of the course! A few have dropped out but still alot.

Hey thanks for the info! It does sound pretty intense, how many hours a week of work do you think you spent on it roughly? I'd definitely be interested in getting some of the books ahead of time. Even if they do change the course a bit, I doubt knowing a bit more about c programming is going to be a disadvantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hey Im applying for this myself. I just emailed the department administrator looking for any information. If the fees go higher for 2013/14 I wont be able to do it.

Fingers Crossed

Hey thanks for the info! It does sound pretty intense, how many hours a week of work do you think you spent on it roughly?

Average of about three hours of lectures a day, every week day.

Study has peaks and troughs as you would expect. It's a bit of a peak at the moment. All day study yesterday, today, tomorrow, etc. till Friday. Two day break (weekend woo!) then another examination, then a month for a research project, followed by the first holiday, in August, since Christmas.

Average of about three hours of lectures a day, every week day.

Study has peaks and troughs as you would expect. It's a bit of a peak at the moment. All day study yesterday, today, tomorrow, etc. till Friday. Two day break (weekend woo!) then another examination, then a month for a research project, followed by the first holiday, in August, since Christmas.

Eh, by the sounds of things I'd need to be well organised to fit in things like sports, work and the odd social event then!

Still no sign of the application process opening!

Yeah I know. It's getting to be a bit much. Even if they open it in the next few days It'll be pushing July which is only two months before it starts..

Do we know if it's definitely available to do this September?

Anybody know how long it normally takes for Masters positions to be offered after the closing date? Would we not find out until August?

I emailed approx 2 weeks ago and the response I got indicated that it was definitely open this year and the delay was due to restructuring the course from last years.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got the same impression a few ago when they emailed me. They also said that the site would be up early June..

It's just difficult to make plans for the coming months with work etc., as we're just sort of in the dark about it all at the moment.

Thats exactly it, can't commit to anything fully whilst in this limbo. I'd feel happy if I even had the application submitted tbh. Also want to sort out accom for Dublin next year too.

Yeah I'd be happy to have submitted the application by now too.

What exactly do we need for the application process besides fully authorized copy of our transcripts from our undergrad? Do people think that we will have big essays to write/submit?

I've been compulsively checking the website for updates haha. No idea what the application process will entail at all.

Haven't a clue what it will entail! Would love some sort of guidance on the matter. Been checking the website frequently myself also.

Hopefully it won't be too complicated. They're cutting it a bit fine without having to wait around for, and then read, essays and such!

I've been compulsively checking the website for updates haha. No idea what the application process will entail at all.

Pretty much the same as me! My friend who is in it now got a letter of recommendation from work and one from a lecturer in his undergrad but I have no idea what we will have to do this year (or if those recommendations were needed).

Hopefully they'll open up the course applications any day now...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Does anyone have any idea of the start date for this in September? Trying to cut it with work, holidays ect.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/documents/201314_td.pdf

I think this masters is offered in three semesters so may be different.

• Advertisement

Do we think that due to the late application process that this course might commence later than early September?

Advertisement