Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computer Science Conversion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Strawberry Oreo

Nice one Trendy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RogerRabid

Great Trendy! I was losing faith.

Question: If you were interested in ultimately pursuing data analytics would you choose the HDip and then Msc in DIT?

DIT has smaller classes and you can specialize in either

1) software development
    2)data analytics
    or
    3) game something or other...

I've been mulling this over...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

RogerRabid wrote: »
    Great Trendy! I was losing faith.

Question: If you were interested in ultimately pursuing data analytics would you choose the HDip and then Msc in DIT?

DIT has smaller classes and you can specialize in either

1) software development
    2)data analytics
    or
    3) game something or other...

I've been mulling this over...

I was wondering the same myself, except I'd be interested in going down the software development route.

Which DIT Msc are you thinking of doing?

The one that I was looking at was the Msc in advanced software development, which has an Msc qualifier that starts in March and if your grades are good enough you can get into the Msc which begins in Sept. But the reason I was going for the UCD conversion masters is because I thought it would be better to have a broad basis as opposed to delving into something that would limit me to software development, as I don't necessarily know that's what I want to do. At the same time though I don't want to have to pursue further study after spending 16 odd months doing a masters..

Based on Trendy's email, are people planning to leave their jobs etc. before applications open? I am so confused as to what to do.. I've to give a months notice and ideally I would like a few weeks off before starting the masters...

:confused::confused:

When do applications for DIT end Roger?

I got an email saying that my application to DIT was pending. I believe this happened on the day when applications closed which would have been over 6 days ago.

However, ion the website it appears to be still open for offers....

Some else on boards said the DIT course lacked depth and emphasized a lot of research methods( which would be disappointing).

• Advertisement

Been offered software development H Dip in Galway. 500 cuid deposit within 3 days. Ugh..

What are the chances I wouldn't get either UCD or DIT?? My gf is in Dublin so galway is like a plan d...

Tough one.....

Hi Everyone,

I stopped by Damian Dalton’s office today (course director) in UCD and discussed the likelihood of the course going through. From speaking with Damian the course resources are there and a structure has been defined. The only thing holding back the course however is in fact the school itself who have yet to officially sign off on it going through.

I discussed with Damian how there is a vast interest in the course and that people need to know if the course is going ahead! Especially due to the fact that people will have to give one month’s notice before resigning from their jobs and that other course application deadlines are closing.

In order to expedite the course being offered by UCD I suggested to Damian that I would start at a petition and collect the names of people interested in the course. I will email the petition to the head of the school on Monday 15th July.

I urge everyone how has contributed to this thread so far to get involved / anyone who might be lurking.

Please PM your full name / email if you are interested in being part of the petition.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone,

I stopped by Damian Dalton’s office today (course director) in UCD and discussed the likelihood of the course going through. From speaking with Damian the course resources are there and a structure has been defined. The only thing holding back the course however is in fact the school itself who have yet to officially sign off on it going through.

I discussed with Damian how there is a vast interest in the course and that people need to know if the course is going ahead! Especially due to the fact that people will have to give one month’s notice before resigning from their jobs and that other course application deadlines are closing.

In order to expedite the course being offered by UCD I suggested to Damian that I would start at a petition and collect the names of people interested in the course. I will email the petition to the head of the school on Monday 15th July.

I urge everyone how has contributed to this thread so far to get involved / anyone who might be lurking.

Please PM your full name / email if you are interested in being part of the petition.

Cheers.

Legend!!

Did he convey any reason why the Head might be unwilling to sign off on the course? It's all very cloak and dagger. If the petition gets beyond a handful of names you might have a job on your hands. Perhaps one of this sites might be a help: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/

Again, well done!

Well I don't think the petition list will get too long judging on the amount of people who PM'd me so far. I just believe the petition will give Damian a helping hand in getting the course started as it will show that the interest is there and something has to be done soon e.g. people will be looking at alternatives / not be able to sign up because its too late.

In regards to talking to Damian everything is set to go but it just seems that the head of the school are not prioritising/neglecting it. I can't remember exactly what Damian said so I just want to be careful with what I say.

Anyway on Monday I will be forwarding an email stating that we would like the course to be open with the signatures. I will then try to contact the head of the department to see whats up on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

The website is now live and details that applications will be accepted up until August 7th.

http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/msc-computer-science-conversion

Happy Applying People! Hope to See you all in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

wooo! Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PentiKo

Gl everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Moonman88

I am currently in the course and I think it is an excellent program, would definitely recommend it. I think they were having problems all through this year with staffing levels in terms of both lecturers and support staff, relating to budgetary constraints. Hopefully they'll be more organised for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NoLimit

Hi Moonman88, how many students in your class? and how many they might take this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Moonman88

Hi NoLimit, we started with around 120 which was double the number of the previous year so the resources were stretched. Either they have gotten more money/more organised or they will take in a smaller class, it's hard to say, especially given that Damien Dalton was told that they HAD TO double the class size last year by the college - it wasn't the school's call

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ecoli in the kitchen

Hi everyone,

Is the fee of €2750 for the entire course or will further fees need to be paid?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Is the fee of €2750 for the entire course or will further fees need to be paid?

Thanks.

Hey - It's for the entire course! I'm wondering myself now if we can claim tax back on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cellardoor23

Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying for this course however just wondering if anyone could advise, I'm interested in programming and learning about how to develop and design websites specifically- is this the right course or would a specific course in website development be more useful?

Also does anyone know the timetable from last years intake, I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to work at the same time but from reading previous posts not so sure it would be..

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying for this course however just wondering if anyone could advise, I'm interested in programming and learning about how to develop and design websites specifically- is this the right course or would a specific course in website development be more useful?

Also does anyone know the timetable from last years intake, I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to work at the same time but from reading previous posts not so sure it would be..

Thanks!

Id say the course would give you a great grounding in webdesign. You also have the option to exit after Semester 2 with a Graduate certificate or a Higher Diploma. So you'd get the basics and could leave early if you weren't liking it. Considering the price of the course this year I would definitely hop on it.

(I'm only applying to the course so you will have to wait and see what people who actually did it say) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

It's an alright course for web development. A brief overview to HTML, CSS and XML and a bit of an intro into setting up on a server. In reality web development requires a fairly good knowledge of the above, but also PHP, Javascript, integrated Database, possibly other scripting languages... there's a host of things that weren't covered by the course.

If you are specifically interested in web development and not much else IT related then this course is not for you.

Also I can guarantee that you will not do well in this course and work at the same time. Weekend job is realistically all you could manage.

Hi,

Just a quick query about the references guys. The UCD website gives you the option to upload completed reference forms however the form itself states that the referee should post the form directly to the school. Anyone know whats the best way to go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ecoli in the kitchen

Riamfada wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick query about the references guys. The UCD website gives you the option to upload completed reference forms however the form itself states that the referee should post the form directly to the school. Anyone know whats the best way to go about it?

I've uploaded them and recieved an email saying my application was recieved. So I think you'll be grand just uploading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Hey guys,

With the reference forms - is there something I'm not seeing? Is there a template to fill out? Or is it just whatever you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Scrap that, found them, I'm an eijit!

Wooop

... that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Likewise!! See you in September.

Same!!

Exciting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Riamfada wrote: »
    Wooop

... that is all

Oh Jesus, you're coming back? Wonder if they'll let me graduate early...

• Advertisement

Congrats on getting in - See you in September! :)

Advertisement