Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computer Science Conversion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Bah...I wasn't going to submit my application until Mon or Tues probably, I hope they've not handed out all the bloody places!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NoLimit

Have you guys got an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PentiKo

NoLimit wrote: »
    Have you guys got an offer?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lkjhgfdsa

Hi all, roughly how much did people write for their personal statements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Infogam

I've also been accepted.

Really looking forward to getting started and getting to know everyone :)

Perhaps closer to the time or after classes start, someone with good initiative can start a private Facebook group - where we can communicate about assignments, modules etc.
    lkjhgfdsa wrote: »
    Hi all, roughly how much did people write for their personal statements?

Hi lkjhgfdsa, my statement was around 2,000 words - but imagine that might be on the lengthier end of the spectrum and shouldn't be taken as a benchmark.

• Advertisement

Infogam wrote: »
    I've also been accepted.

Perhaps closer to the time or after classes start, someone with good initiative can start a private Facebook group - where we can communicate about assignments, modules etc.

Definitely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Thinking of changing my laptop soon. Any recommendations on what would be best for this course?

Also congrats to all who have got offers!!

What do you mean by personal statement? Isn't there just the 'Please give details of any experience which you feel is relevant to your application:' section?

Infogam wrote: »
    I've also been accepted.

Hi lkjhgfdsa, my statement was around 2,000 words - but imagine that might be on the lengthier end of the spectrum and shouldn't be taken as a benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lkjhgfdsa

Fair point, not really to sure what to write. It mightn't hurt to put in a bit about why you're applying to the course, why UCD, career aims ect or might be best to keep it short and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

Hi,

I'm applying for this course and I am in a panic now that I see people have been accepted already!

As regards references, did people hand in academic or work references? I have spoken to the school and they said that either will be accepted but that academic is preferred. I am just wondering what others were doing as I have work references but am still waiting on lecturers to get back with academic ones.

• Advertisement

Mine were one from a lecturer and one from my old boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spikeymikey

person 78 -
    I also used a lecturer and a previous employer for my references. I had my referees fill out the template provided by UCD.I reckon that they have accepted people before the deadline closes as it is already so late and there was a good few of us putting a lot of pressure on them to sort this out sooner rather than later. They will choose people on merit rather than first come first served basis so just get your application together and apply as soon as you can.

Doug89 -
    I entered "please refer to the uploaded statement" in the section for relevant information. I then uploaded a personal statement where it says 'Additional Documentation' on the application page.

Looking forward to seeing you folks in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

I just stated my relevant experience and a small bit about why I wanted to do it. Kept it under the 2000 characters.

Got two academic references, was difficult getting in touch with lecturers though in the summer months -didn't realise we could use work ones!

The Facebook group is must -once we get started! :cool:

I need to get a new laptop as well, anyone know what would be best suited to the course? I'm prone to the oul Macs but willing to stray for the greater good!

Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

Poppy1314 wrote: »
    I just stated my relevant experience and a small bit about why I wanted to do it. Kept it under the 2000 characters.

Got two academic references, was difficult getting in touch with lecturers though in the summer months -didn't realise we could use work ones!

The Facebook group is must -once we get started! :cool:

I need to get a new laptop as well, anyone know what would be best suited to the course? I'm prone to the oul Macs but willing to stray for the greater good!

Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

Thanks, just submitted my application. Did you just upload the references or bring in hard copies?

Just submitted it all electronically. I emailed them beforehand to ensure they didn't require hard copies of the references!

Best of luck! :)

Just submitted my application, yay!

Good luck!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Could anybody currently enrolled to this and already mid-way through the programme share the timetables for the first two semesters? Just curious what the actual in-class scheduling is, although I'm aware that the course is being restructured somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

I spoke with Claire Comerford and she advised that 3 days will be spent in UCD, whilst the other 2 days would be spent in IPA.
    She didn't advise of details re timetable but did mention that with the workload its impossible to do paid employment

Paid employment being even evening/weekend work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That sounds about right from my second hand experience of friends doing the course - the workload has been extremely intensive, and needs to be done during evenings/weekends when part time work would be.

Raphael wrote: »
    That sounds about right from my second hand experience of friends doing the course - the workload has been extremely intensive, and needs to be done during evenings/weekends when part time work would be.

I heard likewise.

Did anybody else receive an email with their student number and a list of links that were supposedly on UCD connect like registration/ orientation etc..?

I signed in but found nothing.

Poppy1314 wrote: »
    Did anybody else receive an email with their student number and a list of links that were supposedly on UCD connect like registration/ orientation etc..?

I signed in but found nothing.

On Connect click the student life tab and then student information system under that, that's where registration is anyway. You can also log into SIS on the ucd homepage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Infogam

person78 wrote: »
    On Connect click the student life tab and then student information system under that, that's where registration is anyway. You can also log into SIS on the ucd homepage.

I was able to access the SIS from the UCD homepage.

The login is your student number (sent to us via email) and password is your DOB in dd/mm/yy format.

Doesn't seem there is much to be done via the SIS at the moment. It seems we have an allocated 'start time' for registration, which for me is currently set at any time after 22nd Aug.

However, you can view payable fee information - appearing as €2,750 (including student centre levy).

We also have to pay a deposit of €500 via the online application site after accepting the offer, although as I understand it - this is deductible from the tuition fees balance (i.e leaving €2,250 to pay). The remaining balance can then be paid via three instalments per semester, if we so wish. There are set deadlines for each payment up on the UCD website - first instalment due September 8th 2013.

Also - student email seems to be up and running already, log in via UCD connect with the same credentials.

Finally - student 'U' card is picked up on campus. Again, as I understand it, the photo that appears on the card is actually taken from our UCD account photo - which we supply ourselves by uploading during online registration.

Doug's in, yeow!!! So, anyone looking for a housemate???

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Happyhippo12

Hey guys, I made an account to ask you a question because I just can't get through to UCD. I received an email giving me a registration time but no email to tell me I've been accepted? Was this the same for you? Or just an unfortunate glitch in the system? :(

Thanks

Hey guys, I made an account to ask you a question because I just can't get through to UCD. I received an email giving me a registration time but no email to tell me I've been accepted? Was this the same for you? Or just an unfortunate glitch in the system? :(

Thanks

I don't know - I think the best thing to do is call Clare tomorrow morning. Hope it works out for you. Also check your spam mail on your emails etc it may have gotten in there somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

I'm the opposite - I've received an offer but not received an email confirming registration time.
    Oh dear I remember all this tripe when doing my Undergrad and looks like its still not sorted even as a Graduate.
    UCD, Centre of Excellence ??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Happyhippo12

I'll call Clare tomorrow. Thankyou! Fingers crossed :)

Advertisement