Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Computer Science Conversion

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ecoli in the kitchen

Hi all,

What's the story with document verification?

I recieved an email about it yesterday. Do I just need to bring everything into UCD?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

Hi all,

What's the story with document verification?

I recieved an email about it yesterday. Do I just need to bring everything into UCD?

Thanks.

I got the same email yesterday. I emailed them back asking was it just original transcripts that they needed and they said yes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Infogam

Verifying of transcripts can be done via post or in person on campus.

Apparently if you go on campus it only takes a couple of minutes, according to the email.

Also - just paid deposit there and it shows up immediately deductible from payable fees in the SIS, for the more paranoid among us.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has started the module registration process yet? I was going through it there but am a little concerned as the modules have us down as doing C++ programming instead of java as well as SQL. I think they have the same modules up as last year...

Anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

No Sorry. My registration date is the 22nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ncasey88

Hi Guys!

Thought I'd chime in here- I received a conditional offer last week on the receipt of satisfactory references (I did my undergrad in the UK so I've been chasing down lecturers whilst they've been on annual leave). Spoke to Clare this afternoon and she's confirmed that she's gotten the references and that I should receive my confirmed offer soon! (So relieved)

Anyone know what the timeline of events is? Do we have to accept the offer then pay the deposit then we'll be allowed register or...?

Has anyone created the Facebook Group yet?

Can't wait to get started!

ncasey88 wrote: »
    Hi Guys!

Thought I'd chime in here- I received a conditional offer last week on the receipt of satisfactory references (I did my undergrad in the UK so I've been chasing down lecturers whilst they've been on annual leave). Spoke to Clare this afternoon and she's confirmed that she's gotten the references and that I should receive my confirmed offer soon! (So relieved)

Anyone know what the timeline of events is? Do we have to accept the offer then pay the deposit then we'll be allowed register or...?

Has anyone created the Facebook Group yet?

Can't wait to get started!

First off, congrats! :)

Not too sure of timeline events.. 9th of September is the start date (as far as I know). Keep an eye on your application status on your UCD account. When you are offered a place, you accept the offer and then pay your deposit €500.

Regarding the registration process.. I had my module registration today.. but as you can see above there's a few issues.. I've gotten in contact with Clare who said that we don't need to register for modules because all modules are mandatory until the fourth semester (next sept) and we will register for those modules in Sept 2014. So I've no idea what the heck I registered for today and am currently in contact with UCD helpdesk :confused:

I just tried to create a private Facebook page but can't complete the process without having members to add to the group -so if anyone wants to PM their name and some vague description of their profile pic (so im not adding the wrong person!) I will create the group and post the link here accordingly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PentiKo

Poppy make it a closed group so we can request to join perhaps? All you have to do is share the link to the page then which will make it a lot easier! :)

Example - MSc Computer Science (Conv) 12/13 group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/145770042229442/?fref=ts

Yes, we have all have to register online after this Thursday (August 22nd).

Sounds like the module registration aspect was definitely wonky, wouldn't worry about it too much.

Well done Poppy on getting the ball rolling on the Facebook group! Although the link doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

EDIT: Got it working, try this
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/205943162900262

• Advertisement

Module registration is open but we don't have to register to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gar78

Hi folks,

Just in case anyone is unsure I'll add my confirmation to Infogram's comment above. I spoke to Clare Comerford today and she advised that we will be registered automatically.

Orientation /Introduction day on Monday September 9th (possibly at IPA, tbc) with lectures probably commencing the following day.

Clare will be emailing the above details to us presently.

P.s. Thanks to all who posted information in the last few months which was of great assistance in choosing the MSc, looking forward to meeting you!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Any sign of a timetable yet!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mattress

I spoke to Clare today, no sign of timetable yet but she said there'd be an email going out to everyone tomorrow with details. She also told me that orientation is on Monday the 9th at 10am in the IPA... so a wee bit short notice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Style26

hey guys
    would anybody like to swap from a morning slot in the IPA to an afternoon slot? please pm me.
    cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I need to buy a new laptop... anyone got any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I'm thinking of getting a windows laptop myself. What did people think of this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PentiKo

Doug89 wrote: »
    I need to buy a new laptop... anyone got any recommendations?

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ has some pretty good deals

I would be pretty bad on picking out the specs for ya but I think 8gb of ram was suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Could any past pupils comment on what the timetable and scheduling is like? I just got accepted and I'm wondering would I be able to keep up the part time job over the duration of the course. If it's full on 9-6 everyday though i might quit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

Jhax wrote: »
    Could any past pupils comment on what the timetable and scheduling is like? I just got accepted and I'm wondering would I be able to keep up the part time job over the duration of the course. If it's full on 9-6 everyday though i might quit :(

I would say you could keep up the part time job alright but it might be hard work to get a 2.1 as there is a lot of self study and projects to do but defo possible. Although looks like they have revamped the course so not sure what timetable will be like now.

Even if you just pass it its not a bad thing for the CV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 nullbyte

Jhax wrote: »

Hi Jhax,

They undertook a major restructing of the course since I completed it in 2013/14 so I'm not sure exactly how it will be for you, but I can share my experience and some advice.

In my year of doing the course, depending on the semester, the class schedule was pretty intensive. At worst, it was 9-6. Other times, it was less than that but still expect to be in UCD Mon-Fri plus factor in the time to commute to/from UCD if you're not living nearby. Outside of class hours you will be kept busy with continuous assessment, exam prep, major projects, outside study (the extra study is important to stay one step ahead, or at least on top of the course material) etc. A few people kept up part-time jobs during it, possible but not ideal if you want some spare time to yourself.

Be warned it is (or at least was) an intensive course that covers a lot in a very short space of time. On the upside you get a fairly comprehensive fastrack overview of Computer Science in a very short space of time. For example, some of the programming topics we covered (eg Object Orientated Programming) are generally introduced around the second year of an Undergraduate Course. In our case, it was introduced halfway (around 6-8 weeks) through the first semester! As you can imagine, it can be overwhelming if you don't keep it up and take it seriously. In in ths case, be warned you will fall behind.

Some people realize it really isn't for them, whereas others find they are actually good at it when they never thought they would have been. It is not a course "to learn more about computers" - it is more or less specifically designed to fast track you into a positionupon graduation where you can get in the door at a company in graduate IT role as developer, sys admin, devops, tester etc. And from here, you will continue learning on the job.

You get from the Masters what you put into it so be prepared to make a serious commitment if you want to do well and springboard into the IT industry afterwards. I realize the cost is significantly more now (it was €2,750 for us in 2013/14), so please consider seriously if it is really what you want to do and what you want to make your career in. It is not a casual postgraduate degree.

On the brightside, on completion of the Masters you will be in a very very strong position for employment. Nobody that I am aware of particularly struggled to find a job after the course. Many (including myself) were able to line up a job before finishing, if you're proactive and start circulating CVs in the last semester. Others prefered to take some time afterwards before job searching, as you will likely feel exhausted and a little burnt-out after course. Either way, in terms of money when you do take up a job - the majority of folks from 2013/14 year - afaik - started off in and around 30k, some less and some more depending on the position and company.

Graduates are working in tech companies and in the IT department of non tech companies, both small and very large.

Hope that helps, and best of luck. It really is worth it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

nullbyte wrote: »
    Hi Jhax,

They undertook a major restructing of the course since I completed it in 2013/14 so I'm not sure exactly how it will be for you, but I can share my experience and some advice.

In my year of doing the course, depending on the semester, the class schedule was pretty intensive. At worst, it was 9-6. Other times, it was less than that but still expect to be in UCD Mon-Fri plus factor in the time to commute to/from UCD if you're not living nearby. Outside of class hours you will be kept busy with continuous assessment, exam prep, major projects, outside study (the extra study is important to stay one step ahead, or at least on top of the course material) etc. A few people kept up part-time jobs during it, possible but not ideal if you want some spare time to yourself.

Be warned it is (or at least was) an intensive course that covers a lot in a very short space of time. On the upside you get a fairly comprehensive fastrack overview of Computer Science in a very short space of time. For example, some of the programming topics we covered (eg Object Orientated Programming) are generally introduced around the second year of an Undergraduate Course. In our case, it was introduced halfway (around 6-8 weeks) through the first semester! As you can imagine, it can be overwhelming if you don't keep it up and take it seriously. In in ths case, be warned you will fall behind.

Some people realize it really isn't for them, whereas others find they are actually good at it when they never thought they would have been. It is not a course "to learn more about computers" - it is more or less specifically designed to fast track you into a positionupon graduation where you can get in the door at a company in graduate IT role as developer, sys admin, devops, tester etc. And from here, you will continue learning on the job.

You get from the Masters what you put into it so be prepared to make a serious commitment if you want to do well and springboard into the IT industry afterwards. I realize the cost is significantly more now (it was €2,750 for us in 2013/14), so please consider seriously if it is really what you want to do and what you want to make your career in. It is not a casual postgraduate degree.

On the brightside, on completion of the Masters you will be in a very very strong position for employment. Nobody that I am aware of particularly struggled to find a job after the course. Many (including myself) were able to line up a job before finishing, if you're proactive and start circulating CVs in the last semester. Others prefered to take some time afterwards before job searching, as you will likely feel exhausted and a little burnt-out after course. Either way, in terms of money when you do take up a job - the majority of folks from 2013/14 year - afaik - started off in and around 30k, some less and some more depending on the position and company.

Graduates are working in tech companies and in the IT department of non tech companies, both small and very large.

Hope that helps, and best of luck. It really is worth it in the end.

Nullbyte that helps a lot! As the course is being restructured it's hard to get a grasp on what the workload is gonna be like and I'm in the middle of contemplating if I'm gonna keep up my part-time job or not. I think with what you've said and from what I've heard from others I might just save up as much as I can before going back and quit the job. I want to get as much as I can out of this and I know having the weekends will help a lot!

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nullbyte

Absolutely - but don't having the part-time job let you put off starting on the path to your career.

Plenty of people managed the course with different extra things going on - part-time job, families etc. Of course, it was at the cost of some extra stress and less free time... but it is totally doable. Where there's a will there's a way :)

Best of luck!

Advertisement