Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dream Theater Album Sept 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think all these studio clips Dream Theater are releasing will form a making of the album documentary,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

John Petrucci Says Between the Buried and Me, Periphery and Animals as Leaders “Influenced and Shaped” the New Dream Theater Album.
    “…I think that without naming a specific band, there is a whole wave of younger bands that are in the prog vein. There is Periphery, Between the Buried and Me, Animals As Leaders — bands like that are doing stuff where you hear it and you are like, ‘Wow, that’s amazing! That was intense!’ You can’t help but have that seep into your subconscious, you know? In that sense, anything you hear that you like the sound of becomes an influence and shapes who you are as a musician writing music.”

Whether he's just arbitrarily name-dropping 'cool' younger bands or if he's just genuinely influenced or inspired by them, it's still interesting to hear that a veteran musician of Petrucci's caliber has his ear to the ground regards the modern Metal scene.

Dream Theater: Live At Luna Park Coming To Theaters
    SpectiCast and Eagle Rock Entertainment are once again collaborating to distribute the "Dream Theater: Live at Luna Park" concert film to theaters worldwide beginning Thursday, September 19th, 2013.

This cinematic event was captured over two nights during the final leg of the band’s 15-month "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" world tour, which hit 35 countries. "Dream Theater: Live At Luna Park" was filmed in Buenos Aires, runs for 160 minutes, and features many of Dream Theater’s classic tracks, including “Metropolis Pt. 1,” “The Silent Man,” “Pull Me Under,” “The Root Of All Evil,” “The Test That Stumped Them All,” “The Spirit Carries On,” and the recent track “On The Backs Of Angels.”

“Dream Theater: Live At Luna Park is a fantastic addition to our Rock In Cinema series,” said Mark Rupp, Co-Founder and President of SpectiCast. “We are delighted to continue our relationship with Eagle Rock Entertainment, bringing theatrical releases of concerts by some of the world’s best musical groups to theatres around the globe.”

Dream Theater's self-titled album is also due out September 24th, 2013.

Wonder would Ireland get a showing of this?!

New track "Along for the Ride" from the forthcoming album. That keyboard solo is a little grating. See what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I like the keyboard solo. It's the only interesting part of the song for me. Reminds me of Ayreon a little (Wonder if that has anything to do with Jordan on the new album).

I find the rest of the song fairly unexciting again. I think I've given up all hope on this album :P

• Advertisement

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I like the keyboard solo. It's the only interesting part of the song for me. Reminds me of Ayreon a little (Wonder if that has anything to do with Jordan on the new album).

I find the rest of the song fairly unexciting again. I think I've given up all hope on this album :P

Aye, good call on the Ayreon similarity. What did you think of 'The Enemy Inside'? Thought it was a decent taster for the album but this track is more album filler then anything else, though maybe it'll fit into the album as a whole when we hear the entire thing.

I thought Enemy Inside had a catchy chorus. It's not bad if you catch my meaning, but I guess I just much prefer their older stuff. Even up to Octavarium. It was after that I felt the songs started getting a bit boring in parts and just overall not very appealing to me personally.

The band have produced a lot of albums, there's only so long they can go and still write interesting material. I had hoped that Portnoy's departure would spice things up, but I'm not a particular fan of Mangini (I think the likes of Minnemann would have maybe tried to direct them into something more interesting) and I don't think they've gotten better.

DToE was serviceable but forgettable and I feel this album will be too. Obviously nostalgia plays a part and it could just be I'm looking back on the pre Systematic Chaos stuff more favourably as a result, but they just don't do it for me anymore.

Edit: That turned into a bit of a rant actually :P

Track listing.
    "Dream Theater" is due out September 24th, 2013 and has the following track listing:

1. False Awakening Suite
    2. The Enemy Inside
    3. The Looking Glass
    4. Enigma Machine
    5. The Bigger Picture
    6. Behind the Veil
    7. Surrender to Reason
    8. Along for the Ride
    9. Illumination Theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Casual prog fan here. What is considered best DT album?

seachto7 wrote: »

Images & Words and Awake are the two must have albums with honourable mention to Scenes from a Memory.

Plenty of other top quality albums but those are the ones to have for somebody just getting into them. :)

• Advertisement

You'll probably get a list of 3: Images and Words is kinda like their classic album, with a few extremely great signature songs.

Metropolis part 2 is their ultimate concept album and it is absolutely a masterpiece. Really deserves all the acclaim it gets.

But my personal favourite is Awake. It just has this great atmosphere to it that I love. If you're more in modern rock and metal I'd go for Metropolis part 2. If you like older stuff then Images and Words.

Just go for them all ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sorry for derailing thread.

I had a cassette of one of their live albums with the burning heart on it. That was good and always liked the killing hand (song) but believe it was a different singer?

I had a cassette of one of their live albums with the burning heart on it. That was good and always liked the killing hand (song) but believe it was a different singer?

That was Charlie Dominici who was the vocalist on their first album. James LaBrie replaced him on their second album. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

New album being streamed on the prog magazine site from 3pm today!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Listened to the new album twice now from the stream and I have to say I pretty much hate all of it except for the first and last songs which I like quite a lot. Nothing grabbed me and there's not much in there to suggest it'll be a grower. Fair play to them for exploring the other end of the spectrum as opposed to trying to be heavier/more intense, but I can't listen to that much of LaBrie, and I just find most of the songs boring, same old ****, even down to the random circusy bits, and they sound even more out of place on this album! I'm disappointed but most people seem to be going apesh*t about it so... highly recommended :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Tried to play the album the other day and the stream was geoblocked. Anyone get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Listened to it in full twice today, and found it a very dull affair save for a track or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Just finishing my second run through. I find it to be more instant than ADTOE. More symphonic too! Impressed. Can hear a few "Rushisms" in there too \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

That album with the burning heart is Live at the Marquee. It is James LaBrie singing on it I'm sure. The Killing Hand is their best song imo. First time I heard it I hated the ending. But it's grown on me over the years, to the point where I think it's great!

I've only listened to the 1st song off the new album. It's ok. Not fantastic. Just ok. I must listen to all of it over the next day or two.

Giving this a proper listen now. Parts of it remind me of Rush other parts conjure up their heavier Train of Thought era stuff and there are keyboard-led symphonic arrangements that evoke some old school 70's Prog Rock. And it all fits together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement