Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty Rifle/Pistol Brass & Shotgun Shells

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ergo,if the brass is drilled it cant be reused for ammo or be reloaded.
    Thuss you would have to assume it is a non functioning bit of brass tubing that once was a shell?

What pees me off here with these laws is the ambiguity and greyness with everything.Anywhere else in the World the gun laws are crystal clear as to what is being defined in law. You know exactly whats legal or not and what you need to do to posses or shoot any type of gun or collect ammo or whatever.
    Say in Germany I want to own a semi auto rifle.Their main worry is;can it be converted easily to select fire with common everyday tools or items,and is it made out of converted military select fire parts that are easily reconverted?Therefore every semi rifle model for sale in Germany is taken to the Federal police labs and tested exactly for this...If it passes these tests ,anyone can buy it with the correct liscense.If not,back to the drawing board and its not for sale. No ambiguity or "it looks like" or "might be" or "could be".

Here it is if ,but ,maybe,and Idonlikedelookodat so its not going to be liscensed in my district.Hardly surprising then we dont know what to do with our spent ammo casings.....Also,if they are classified as ammo,what grauntees do we have then as shooters that the range is disposing of them correctly?And what is the correct procedure then for a range to dispose of empty shells??
    After all you could be charged then with unsecure ammo storage if you left it on the range too.Crazy,but not impossible under our current law were it to be literally interperated.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

IRLConor wrote: »
    I did precisely that while asking for 5,000 rounds and was given 500. I then sent in an FCA2 for 5,000 and months later plus a visit from the CPO I got it increased to 1,000.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This I don't understand.

If you are a target shooter, you need a lot more ammo than somebody doing a bit of bunny bashing. 1000 rounds isn't really enough when it comes to target shooting. You could use this in a week or two depending on how much training/comps you are doing. And it really isn't enough especially if you are looking for batch consistency etc.

If it isn't enough ammo, I'd write another letter and fill in another FCA2 form requesting an ammo limit increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Yep I was summoned for brass!!

They even had my ammo that I had a certs for on the summons!

Its no fun waiting years to see if you are going to be convicted, for what I knew to be rubbish, but the Gardai believed to be a major find :rolleyes:

On the report from the park. All the ammo was listed and described.

Eg: Fired 7.62mm with bullet head put back on and stone reincerted into case. Made buy company name blablabla.....

Yes I said "stone reincerted"!! It seems the "expert" seemed to think a stone was always in the case. Who ever made the inert ammo put stones into the case, to make a rattle noise when shock. Just to prove it was inert I guess!

I was summoned for empty blank ammo shells also! Ones I would have found in the curragh over the years.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, or if anyone ever finds theselfs in the mess I was in PM me and I will do my best to help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

chem wrote: »

Its no fun waiting years to see if you are going to be convicted, for what I knew to be rubbish, but the Gardai believed to be a major find :rolleyes:

Eg: Fired 7.62mm with bullet head put back on and stone reincerted into case. Made buy company name blablabla.....

Yes I said "stone reincerted"!! It seems the "expert" seemed to think a stone was always in the case. Who ever made the inert ammo put stones into the case, to make a rattle noise when shock. Just to prove it was inert I guess!

I was summoned for empty blank ammo shells also! Ones I would have found in the curragh over the years.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, or if anyone ever finds theselfs in the mess I was in PM me and I will do my best to help :)

In fairness now you could have taken the deadly stone out of the highly dangerous bullet case and used it in a sling shot to shoot someone in the head and kill them.... Your story is Fcuking rediculous. What a complete waste of time for you and the Gardai involved. It shows the true lack of knowledge and cop on in the legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

So technically you cant give a pheasant or duck to a family member to eat because they'll be in possession of ammunition components unless you pick every peace of lead out? :D

• Advertisement

Hi Chem
    IF I remember correctly back those few years ago,didnt you contact the DOJ re ammo collecting and AFAICR they emailed you back saying there was no problem with such here and to go right ahead??Do you still have that mail and who sent it??
    It might be worth us sending an offical request to them and ask would they issue a public statement on this to clarify it once and for all???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The problem with that, as i see it, is much the same as the issue with the deer license with a .223. Because one department gives you the go ahead still does not overwrite the law.

So if someone, mistakenly or not, gives you written permission it still does not supercede the law.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I did Grizz. Sadly it was word of mouth over the phone. They did send an email stating the law at the time, but the words used over the phone was to the effect "sure go on ahead" I have learned from that and now request everything in writing.

I had a box of 5.6 bullet heads I picked up, just to put heads on some of my empty brass. When I showed them to the Gardai one officer said that that ment just one thing and one thing only, that I was reloading. I never reloaded in my life, had no equipment etc......but to him, he said finding bullet heads ment I was reloading :rolleyes:

Now TBH I did have other stuff that looking back I was stupid having. I had some blank rounds still with powder in them. I also had some relic guns that where rusted and broken (could never fire again) I also had a Jagger blank fire 8mm AK47 replica. This really excited the Gardai when I showed it to them :D I explained it was a blank fire gun and was asked what caliber was it converted to fire :rolleyes:

If one of the mods would like to PM me, I will send them copies of the summons and reports with my details blanked out, so they can be posted here! Pics or it never happened type thing :P

Again If anyone is having trouble PM me. I got great help from people I only contacted me when they heared what had happened me. I owe them so much, as it was a very dark time in my life. One thing to lose my passion another to lose my freedom (for scrap metal)!!

My solicitor told me that the rank hungery sargent, that was taking the case against me, wanted to show boat my collection in court. This would have been trial by public opinion as it was in the district court. Everyone in the court on the day would have just seen guns and ammo (all out of context) and the judge would have had to be seen to come down heavy on me!

Thankfully the Judge went to see my collection in the Garda strong room and seen what it was for himself (junk) but it was my junk and I loved it!

My solicitor asked for a special sitting on a Sat as my case would have taken half the day of a normal sitting! Press seen special sitting, guns and ammo and Co. Louth.......:o........... Star and sun turned up!!

Long story to short. Judge and state prosecutor could see what was going on. I was wondering at one point if the prosecutor was working for me :D

End result: Case dismissed!! But 2 years of my life and hobby been put on hold was not worth some brass and rusty broken guns!!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you are a target shooter, you need a lot more ammo than somebody doing a bit of bunny bashing. 1000 rounds isn't really enough when it comes to target shooting. You could use this in a week or two depending on how much training/comps you are doing.

Yeah, at the moment I'm going through 1,000 every 3-5 weeks depending on how many competitions are on. If there isn't a competition on, I use more rounds (e.g. I shot two matches worth of ammo in training today whereas if there was a competition I would only have shot one match worth).

If I trained as much as I wanted, I could easily go through more but time pressures mean I only get to shoot 3 times a week at the moment. Even with only shooting 3 times a week I still have to "baby" the amount of ammo I shoot. I'd probably shoot roughly 250-300 rounds a week if I wasn't trying to conserve what I have and more still if I got to the range more often.
    And it really isn't enough especially if you are looking for batch consistency etc.

I know. Importing a batch 1,000 at a time is tedious to say the least.
    If it isn't enough ammo, I'd write another letter and fill in another FCA2 form requesting an ammo limit increase.

It's never enough ammo! In all seriousness though, I'd need a limit of 10,000 or 15,000 to be sure of never banging against it. My renewal is up soon and that will include another request to increase the limit. Maybe they will listen this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I did Grizz. Sadly it was word of mouth over the phone. They did send an email stating the law at the time, but the words used over the phone was to the effect "sure go on ahead" I have learned from that and now request everything in writing.

I had a box of 5.6 bullet heads I picked up, just to put heads on some of my empty brass. When I showed them to the Gardai one officer said that that ment just one thing and one thing only, that I was reloading. I never reloaded in my life, had no equipment etc......but to him, he said finding bullet heads ment I was reloading :rolleyes:

Now TBH I did have other stuff that looking back I was stupid having. I had some blank rounds still with powder in them. I also had some relic guns that where rusted and broken (could never fire again) I also had a Jagger blank fire 8mm AK47 replica. This really excited the Gardai when I showed it to them :D I explained it was a blank fire gun and was asked what caliber was it converted to fire :rolleyes:

If one of the mods would like to PM me, I will send them copies of the summons and reports with my details blanked out, so they can be posted here! Pics or it never happened type thing :P

Again If anyone is having trouble PM me. I got great help from people I only contacted me when they heared what had happened me. I owe them so much, as it was a very dark time in my life. One thing to lose my passion another to lose my freedom (for scrap metal)!!

My solicitor told me that the rank hungery sargent, that was taking the case against me, wanted to show boat my collection in court. This would have been trial by public opinion as it was in the district court. Everyone in the court on the day would have just seen guns and ammo (all out of context) and the judge would have had to be seen to come down heavy on me!

Thankfully the Judge went to see my collection in the Garda strong room and seen what it was for himself (junk) but it was my junk and I loved it!

My solicitor asked for a special sitting on a Sat as my case would have taken half the day of a normal sitting! Press seen special sitting, guns and ammo and Co. Louth.......:o........... Star and sun turned up!!

Long story to short. Judge and state prosecutor could see what was going on. I was wondering at one point if the prosecutor was working for me :D

End result: Case dismissed!! But 2 years of my life and hobby been put on hold was not worth some brass and rusty broken guns!!

Holy crap!! How long ago was this?

I had an old shoe box of brass casings from last year when I got my. 243 first. Had a lot if problems zeroing so went through few boxes. Altogether just counted 150 empty cases, and I have one box of unused ammo, so at 170 of my 200 limit in theory

Just spent last ten minutes crushing the empty brass to be safe, but want to get rid of em now anyway. So, if I chucked em all in the recycling bin, it might give some poor sod sorting the recycling a bit of a fright, so what do I do?

I used to throw the old 12g cases in the recycling regularly but always felt a bit off about it, done wanted to dump 150 bits of 243 brass all at once in the bin, someone will think I've been running a training camp or something :-)

• Advertisement

Take them down to the local scrap metal merchant.They are now nothing but flat metal strips... IOW it would take a positive miracle to reform them into a properly sized cartridge case.:pac:Sell them for a few quid and buy some more ammo.Brass is worth a fair bit nowadays.
    Indeed shotgun cartridges should be treated the same,but for some reason there is less of a panic about them?They are easier to decomission. Cut the base off with a Stanley knife.Metal base for recycling ,plastic to the plastic recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I wonder is that the same "expert" the State wheels out in the District Court:eek:

Advertisement