Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHO positions

Options
  • 06-06-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When are the SHO posts going to be open in 2013 and 2014?

I am finishing my internship in September 2013 and I am looking to start job as a SHO in Psychiatry field. Any chance that I could start working this year?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Hi,

When are the SHO posts going to be open in 2013 and 2014?

I am finishing my internship in September 2013 and I am looking to start job as a SHO in Psychiatry field. Any chance that I could start working this year?

thanks

Psych is one of the areas that often struggles to fill its SHO posts, particularly in regional areas.

Your best bet to check sites such as hospitaljobs.ie, the HSE site, and locum agencies to see what hospitals if any have positions available. Failing that, it's no harm contacting each hospital in turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have contacted few locum agencies and they said i must have minimum few years of experience and hence, they can not help me.

Do you know any locum agency who doesn't ask for experience?
    I checked HST website and there are no jobs at the moment and on hospitaljobs.ie they don't have any vacancy in Psych :(
    Vorsprung wrote: »
    Psych is one of the areas that often struggles to fill its SHO posts, particularly in regional areas.

Your best bet to check sites such as hospitaljobs.ie, the HSE site, and locum agencies to see what hospitals if any have positions available. Failing that, it's no harm contacting each hospital in turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

May i ask why u are not applying for an internship rather than sho position?I believe in hungary they count the 6th year as internship but its not the same as working an actual internship ,the latter will give u experience and hence u will be able to apply for SHO jobs after this

I have contacted few locum agencies and they said i must have minimum few years of experience and hence, they can not help me.

Do you know any locum agency who doesn't ask for experience?
    I checked HST website and there are no jobs at the moment and on hospitaljobs.ie they don't have any vacancy in Psych :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

What I was getting at with the locum agencies was to see what hospitals were using them, then contacting the hospitals directly. Sorry should have been clearer.

I can't apply for internship job as they can't take person from Hungary who has already completed his Internship in the internship programme. That's why the only option left for me is to apply for SHO jobs.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks
    briankirby wrote: »
    May i ask why u are not applying for an internship rather than sho position?I believe in hungary they count the 6th year as internship but its not the same as working an actual internship ,the latter will give u experience and hence u will be able to apply for SHO jobs after this

• Advertisement

That's a good idea actually. But is there a possiblity to check which hospitals are using them?
    Many thanks
    Vorsprung wrote: »
    What I was getting at with the locum agencies was to see what hospitals were using them, then contacting the hospitals directly. Sorry should have been clearer.

Is it not possible for you to apply for a locum/service internship /f1? In the UK this can definitely be done and a lot of czech grads do this. Do a locum f1 job for a year and then apply for a training f2 post.Czech grads get full registration and so cant apply for a training f1 post in the UK as far as i know
    I can't apply for internship job as they can't take person from Hungary who has already completed his Internship in the internship programme. That's why the only option left for me is to apply for SHO jobs.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Very little locum work from what I can see. The odd emergency post here and there.
    And virtually none in Psych.
    Locumlink and Locum Express are the. two to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

look at irishpsychiatry.ie, any positions that are vacant from July should be advertised there

Yes, in UK its possible to do locum F1 job or Stand alone F2 year but its like 10 seats or so which is very very less. Yes, even Hungarian grads get Full registration with GMC in UK.

I dont think there is such Foundation years in Ireland. They have 1 year internship programme which I am already doing in Hungary right now. After that, comes the SHO jobs. Or you start BST if you're lucky to get a seat in BST programme.

Please correct me if I am missing anything. That's all I am aware of at the moment.
    Is it not possible for you to apply for a locum/service internship /f1? In the UK this can definitely be done and a lot of czech grads do this. Do a locum f1 job for a year and then apply for a training f2 post.Czech grads get full registration and so cant apply for a training f1 post in the UK as far as i know

• Advertisement

I did not know there were only 10 places for locum f1 posts in the UK,where did u find this info?Up to now all the graduates from czech/hungary have gone this route and iv yet to hear of someone who did not get a job in the end though it may take a while for one to come up.
    Anybody know when these jobs are advertised?I assume its soon as interns start work in august afaik
    Yes, in UK its possible to do locum F1 job or Stand alone F2 year but its like 10 seats or so which is very very less. Yes, even Hungarian grads get Full registration with GMC in UK.

I dont think there is such Foundation years in Ireland. They have 1 year internship programme which I am already doing in Hungary right now. After that, comes the SHO jobs. Or you start BST if you're lucky to get a seat in BST programme.

Please correct me if I am missing anything. That's all I am aware of at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

You can sign up to www.publicjobs.ie where the HSE recruitment runs, and apply through there. This is the current list of vacancies taken from the HSE website: http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Medical_Dental/nchd/SHO_Registrar/Booklet15.pdf

Website: http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Medical_Dental/nchd/SHO_Registrar/

There seem to be lots of places in psychiatry. From page 7:
    There is a continuing and on going requirement particularly for Emergency Medicine and
    Psychiatry. The Hospital Group / Mental Health Service contact candidates as vacancies become
    available. The list of vacancies are available by Network / Mental Health Service from Page 8 of this
    NCHD Booklet.

Recruitment starts again in November/December for the January Intake. If you finish in September, you should register with the Medical Council to have any chance of getting a job. I think you would be in with a better chance when it comes to the January intake.

That was just as example of ratio, for example the ratio of F1 to F2 seats is about 100:10. Are you talking about UK or Ireland? Because as far as I know, there is no foundation program in Ireland. After internship they start working as SHO.
    I did not know there were only 10 places for locum f1 posts in the UK,where did u find this info?Up to now all the graduates from czech/hungary have gone this route and iv yet to hear of someone who did not get a job in the end though it may take a while for one to come up.
    Anybody know when these jobs are advertised?I assume its soon as interns start work in august afaik

That was just as example of ratio, for example the ratio of F1 to F2 seats is about 100:10. Are you talking about UK or Ireland? Because as far as I know, there is no foundation program in Ireland. After internship they start working as SHO.

Yes,i am speaking of the UK. The jobs are advertised on the nhs jobs website afaik

Advertisement