Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nudist beach Galway

Options
  • 06-06-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭

I have a group of friends over from Italy at the moment. they asked me where the best naturist beach is here. All though i have been to plenty i have never been to a beach in Ireland where you could be naked. we are in Galway and according to the internets, Silver strand in Barna is clothing optional (unofficially) anyone no about this? I don't want to bring them there and cause a scene!! cheers. btw everyone is in their early 30s and there are males and females, not interested in anything except a nice day at the beach!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hey OP, this was moved here from AH because you'll (hopefully) get more useful replies in the regional forum.

There's been a bit of an upsurge in topless sunbathing of late on pretty much all beaches. Silver Strand is mobbed on a sunny day so you're probably more likely to encounter someone giving out.

If I wanted to be naked on a beach, I'd head out the coast road past Spiddal and find a secluded beach. Most roads down to the sea will end up at a beach at some point, most of which are sandy and practically empty. Google maps should be some help towards identifying one!

Don't forget the sunblock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Thanks for the heads up Das kitty. don't want anyone giving out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

bear in mind that you'll very likely -> almost certainly encounter opposition to nudism out in Connemara (or anywhere in this country for that matter). we're a prudish, conservative and insecure lot so play it safe and have a lookout on guard! best of luck :cool:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

We are a very conservative and prudish lot. I remember when I encountered nudism for the first time on holiday in Europe. I was shocked for about 5 to 10 seconds but I took a cue from the reaction of the locals to the libidinous scene which I beheld.......

.....complete indifference.

On an other occasion I happened to be in a public bar in Montreal where the staff were topless. I was fascinated by the way the locals were completely oblivious to the wealth of "talent" on display while the tourists, including some from the more prudish U S of A were mesmerised by the display of bodily talents on show.

I think it is a cultural thing. If someone uses the display of their private parts to shock, intimidate and annoy more sensitive people in the community then I think it is wrong. If someone is merely keeping cool in a hot climate or getting healthful sunlight and vitamin D on their skin, then what of it?

The arbiters of "modesty", our clerical professions, are not covering themselves in glory at the moment and are not in a powerful position to argue for stricter enforcement of our so-called "decency" laws.

In time the older more conservative elements will die out and it will be normal to sunbathe in the all together at the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

doolox wrote: »
    In time the older more conservative elements will die out and it will be normal to sunbathe in the all together at the beach.

that's what the last generation thought, and the generations before them! conservatism is rooted in both nature and nurture - we can wilfully work at one and sit back and just let Darwin take care of the other....

let us know OP whether ye found a peaceful spot, though maybe via PM in case leery teenagers boys find this thread! :eek:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

We ended up going to Trawalua strand in Mullaghmore, Sligo. lovely place with plenty of people enjoying the sun au natural. both genders and a good mix of ages. very enjoyable hopefully we will get the weather to do it again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

There is a small beach beside dogs bay and Gurteen beach (about 3 miles from Roundstone, Connemara) which as far as I know is nudist. It's a very small beach and nudity is optional (afaik).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

I don't think there is an official nudist beach anywhere in Ireland. So anyone doing so risks prosecution if someone complains to the to Gardaí even at beaches where it's common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fewor

as a regular at trawalua strand for the past six years I'd like to say welcome to you and you're friends. I've been to a few nudist beaches in Ireland and Trawalua is by far the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

RubyGirl wrote: »

It is sad to see people have such a negative opinion on the human body. whats to be scared of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Interesting that we think the Irish are prudish about nudity when some of us used to swim nude. I grant you, it was mostly places like the forty foot and black rock which were male only areas but I just thought I'd throw that in.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

A great potential nudist beach is an tra bui between kilkieran and carna.
    It's really secluded there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭eirebread

The beach in Galway is very dirty and dark. rocks everywhere, never a lifeguard , etc...

Gonna head up to Trawalua on Saturday again. with a group of Irish friends this time. hopefully there will be a good crowd around and the weather will be nice. I highly recommend it if anyone is thinking of hitting the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If you go early and maintain a discreet lookout, nobody really bothers you.
    i get a little cranky at statements like this We are a very conservative and prudish lot.
    That's "we" as in, who? not me, not you...so, who?
    No-one has ever said a single word to me about nude swimming, almost everyone seems to like the idea.

That being said, it is important NOT to associate naturism with sleaze and annoyance, so a good code of practice should be encouraged; there's no good reason to piss off the textiles and it can misfire legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Been out to gay beach between barna and silverstrand recently and have seen men having sex openly with no regard for anyone around them even other gays whom they will Not allow to partake with them. A bit of a cartel really. I was nearly attacked a few months ago when I was in the wooded area on the way up to the gay beach. It was frightening but the three guys said they were only messin at the end. I was shook by it. And would recommend care . Admittedly I was sitting in an open area so was viewable to all. But had my clothes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

doolox wrote: »
    We are a very conservative and prudish lot. I remember when I encountered nudism for the first time on holiday in Europe. I was shocked for about 5 to 10 seconds but I took a cue from the reaction of the locals to the libidinous scene which I beheld.......

.....complete indifference.

In fairness, the reason we had the ladys beach in Salthill was because the men swam in Blackrock... most of them nude certainly in the 40's & 50's... folk couldn't afford togs back then so you went commando, so me Dad said... I guess, a bit like the forty foot. As for nude co-ed... culturally, we never had the weather for it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement