Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from Broadband Business Starter - will we loose the existing static IP's

Options
  • 06-06-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi there

We called up to upgrade from the curent ADSL offering (we have Broadband Business Starter on a residential phone package as we needed a few Static IP's) and were assured that the eFibre Unlimited we would be moved to would get the same Static IP's

Who was I to argue with your call center staff!

Now I am getting a bad feeling as static IP's are only mentioned on the business packages - and this may well be enhanced by the, er, errors around the install date we were given (we were given June 7th, but were told today that you are supposed to be called back with the actual date 20 minutes later after the order is placed(!) - the notes say we asked for June 10th <buzz> wrong we didn't ask for a date...)

So getting back to the Static IP's, did the sales folk just railroad us to the eFibre unlimited with no clue what we were asking for or will we retain our existing Static IPs as we were promised?

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

davork wrote: »
    Hi there

We called up to upgrade from the curent ADSL offering (we have Broadband Business Starter on a residential phone package as we needed a few Static IP's) and were assured that the eFibre Unlimited we would be moved to would get the same Static IP's

Who was I to argue with your call center staff!

Now I am getting a bad feeling as static IP's are only mentioned on the business packages - and this may well be enhanced by the, er, errors around the install date we were given (we were given June 7th, but were told today that you are supposed to be called back with the actual date 20 minutes later after the order is placed(!) - the notes say we asked for June 10th <buzz> wrong we didn't ask for a date...)

So getting back to the Static IP's, did the sales folk just railroad us to the eFibre unlimited with no clue what we were asking for or will we retain our existing Static IPs as we were promised?

thank you

Hi davork

Static IPs are available with efibre. Can you PM me with your name, address and eircom account number please.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Mark,

What is the cost for static IP? Is this available of residential package?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Just in case anyone else searches for static IP's.. here is the step by step process I went through yesterday ;)  Expect to loose a day of your time and spending a few hours on the phone and being transferred lots and lots. And lots of times

i) Installation Engineers appears - checks out where the current DSL box is
    ii) Engineer wanders off to do the cutover at the efibre cab (yeap, eFibre gets its own cabs)
    iii) Engineer comes back, changes the existing DSL wallplate for an efibre one
    iv) the Zyxel F1000 is plugged in, engineer takes screenshots of speedtest reslts on his ipad and saves them into a webform... checks with a call center that the line is up and off the engineer goes after getting you to sign twice twice on the ipad (one for the install onsite and one for the cutover to eFibre)
    v) At this stage the old static IPs are supposed to start migrating across. They may or may not. Eircom sales(!) are the people to speak with and they can check if this has happened - and you (the customer) apparently NEED to make that call to check
    vi) Once you are told that the migration is under way, it takes a few hours(!!!!)
    vii) You can (yes, you have to do this - the installation engineer does not) either configure the modem yourself or try and get through to the static ip team (the sales desk were good at getting me though to the right team) for them to configure the modem remotely
    viii) EVENTUALLY the IP addresses will be ported across to your eFibre modem and after a reboot(!) it should show the new IP addresses
    ix) if you want to do changes to the F1000, now would be the time (i.e. I changed the admin password and disabled the wireless functionality)

Now if you want to use a firewall behind one of the F1000's, that is all the above steps plus some (small) re-configuration on the F1000 and ensuring your firewall can connect using PPPoE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

davork wrote: »
    Just in case anyone else searches for static IP's.. here is the step by step process I went through yesterday   Expect to loose a day of your time and spending a few hours on the phone and being transferred lots and lots. And lots of times

i) Installation Engineers appears - checks out where the current DSL box is
    ii) Engineer wanders off to do the cutover at the efibre cab (yeap, eFibre gets its own cabs)
    iii) Engineer comes back, changes the existing DSL wallplate for an efibre one
    iv) the Zyxel F1000 is plugged in, engineer takes screenshots of speedtest reslts on his ipad and saves them into a webform... checks with a call center that the line is up and off the engineer goes after getting you to sign twice twice on the ipad (one for the install onsite and one for the cutover to eFibre)
    v) At this stage the old static IPs are supposed to start migrating across. They may or may not. Eircom sales(!) are the people to speak with and they can check if this has happened - and you (the customer) apparently NEED to make that call to check
    vi) Once you are told that the migration is under way, it takes a few hours(!!!!)
    vii) You can (yes, you have to do this - the installation engineer does not) either configure the modem yourself or try and get through to the static ip team (the sales desk were good at getting me though to the right team) for them to configure the modem remotely
    viii) EVENTUALLY the IP addresses will be ported across to your eFibre modem and after a reboot(!) it should show the new IP addresses
    ix) if you want to do changes to the F1000, now would be the time (i.e. I changed the admin password and disabled the wireless functionality)

Now if you want to use a firewall behind one of the F1000's, that is all the above steps plus some (small) re-configuration on the F1000 and ensuring your firewall can connect using PPPoE...
    Hi davork

It's good to see that progress was madehere however I apologise for the inconvenience experienced in performing this task.

Al

Mylow wrote: »
    Mark,

What is the cost for static IP? Is this available of residential package?

Thanks
    Hi Mylow

There is a once off charge of €50 and it is available to residential packages.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Hi Mylow

There is a once off charge of €50 and it is available to residential packages.

Regards

Al
    Is that for a certain range of IPs (5/10/15......etc)?

Mylow wrote: »
    Is that for a certain range of IPs (5/10/15......etc)?

Hi Mylow

Yes, this gives you a range of 1 to 10 IPs.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement