Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding 7 month old

Options
  • 06-06-2013 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi guys,
    I'm on looking for ideas. My dd is just over 7 months and I give her the following foods. Does anyone have any suggestions to change it up a bit? Its mostly pureed foods. I'd like to get her onto lumpier foods and especially eating by herself but I dont think she is there now. When I leave bits of tomato and cheese on her high chair, she ignores them.

Typically, we have
    Breakfast: porridge and yogurt (petit flous) for dessert
    Dinner: Pureed fruit and veg combo
    Supper: Pureed fruit/Liga

I tried her on spag bol today (stage 2) but she would only take a little bit and then refused. I hate waste and Im kinda sticking to the foods she loves but I know I need to change it up. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My daughters little fella is around the same age and shes taking her recipes from here:http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/babies-6-9-months
    She has the book as well and its great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Guest1111

I have the book, I should revisit it, just thought there might be a starter stage 2 foods if that makes sense. Thanks Chucken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't give petite filous to a baby, far too sugary. Natural yoghurt with pureed fruit you make is better.

Good tip lazygal - thanks. Anything else to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd be the same about petite filous. I used to give the lidl Greek yoghurt with fruit/berries. It was thick enough that it would go everywhere if he wanted to feed himself. Plus I didn't want him getting used to overly sweet yoghurts.

The glenisk baby yoghurts are lovely too. They are sweeter but far less so than petite filous.

• Advertisement

I dont mean to sound rude but does anyone have any advice on my actual question!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Are she having a bottle as well? Is it too soon after the bottle so she's not that hungry? I'd stick with it because eventually they'll be hungry enough and just eat it.

I used to do the same, pureed veg was really the best thing to give; I used combos of brocolli and cauliflower and potatoes, but any combo really; they like strong flavours so use veg like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Hey,
    My little guy is 6.5 months old(started weaning 18 weeks), I introduced meat about 2 now, made my own chicken stock as the shop ones are too salty and used it to make a few of the Annable Karmel recipes(Baby and Toddler meal planner book)- chicken casserole and chicken with tomatoes,sweet potatote and apricots.This week I started him on fish, I used cod and I made the cod with sweet potatoe and orange juice and the cod with veg and cheese sauce one. We are lucky (so far) in that he tries everything, only thing he didn't like was avocado!
    As regards finger foods, I offer him a little finger of toast occassionally that he sucks and plays with, or would give him pieces of our meat/veg from our dinner to look at and try.
    For breakfast I give ready brek with fruit puree
    Lunch- meat and veg dinner with fruit puree for dessert
    Supper- fish and veg supper with yogurt for afters.(I use glenisk baby yogurt)
    I swop chicken and fish around every day to dinner and supper and will add in beef next week I hope.
    Is that of any help to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Nobody needs dessert after breakfast for a start, certainly not a baby, that bit makes no sense to me. Stick to what you're giving but mash it instead of puree, will have more texture and get her used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter is 13months so im tryin to think back to that stage. For breakfast weetabix or ready brek. Weetabit heated and stirred is fairly soft. . Lunch beans abd toast. What i done to get her to eat lumpier was in the begining i would puree the beans so she would get used to the taste. Then after a while i would mash it with potatoe masher and eventually no need to mash at all. Also for lunch i would give her scramble egg, Pancakes. potatoe cakes . waffles. Soup.
    As an afternoon snack she has fruit puree. I have tried so hard to get her to eat fruit in its proper form but she just wont so to get some fruit in to her .
    Dinner then is what ever we are eating . In the begining i pureed it then moved to mashing and now she eats it as is. Could be potatoes veg and chicken. Spag bol. Anything really.
    When i was moving to lumpier i done it with lunch first. So started to mash the beans or scramble egg rather than puree . I think the key is not to let them get too hungry. I found if she was too hungry she didnt have the patience for chewing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter is 13months so im tryin to think back to that stage. For breakfast weetabix or ready brek. Weetabit heated and stirred is fairly soft. . Lunch beans abd toast. What i done to get her to eat lumpier was in the begining i would puree the beans so she would get used to the taste. Then after a while i would mash it with potatoe masher and eventually no need to mash at all. Also for lunch i would give her scramble egg, Pancakes. potatoe cakes . waffles. Soup.
    As an afternoon snack she has fruit puree. I have tried so hard to get her to eat fruit in its proper form but she just wont so to get some fruit in to her .
    Dinner then is what ever we are eating . In the begining i pureed it then moved to mashing and now she eats it as is. Could be potatoes veg and chicken. Spag bol. Anything really.
    When i was moving to lumpier i done it with lunch first. So started to mash the beans or scramble egg rather than puree . I think the key is not to let them get too hungry. I found if she was too hungry she didnt have the patience for chewing .

Could a moderator delete this thread please. It is really annoying me. Thank you so much to the people who actually answered my question.

seosamh1980 I dont care what makes sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I hate as well when people just ramble on without really looking at what the poster is asking!

I have 2 babies, one 1yr and a toddler. I spoonfed my daughter purees for far too long and now she has real problem with different textures and is very very picky eater, so first advice start now to challenge her!
    Do you let her feed herself the purees? If not, I would suggest you start like that, maybe after transitioning to mash, since it is what she knows as opposed to the finger foods which are new. It is messy but at the same time, it'll soon give you the time to enjoy meals with her, its important they see us and what we eat in order to learn. I started solids with my son at 6mths and never made a single puree, he eats everything we have with a very few exceptions.
    I hate waste as well, but I've had to put that aside cause at the start, as much food (if not more) ends up on the floor... and we now waste a lot more food with my toddler who turns her nose at most things!

Porridge can be made thicker so its handled very well, wheatabix, fingers of toast always been winner in this house, sticks of very soft cooked carrots/broccoli etc., omelette or scrambled eggs, pasta (penne or fusilli are perfect for their small hands), meatballs (you can alternate mince of beef, chicken, turkey..), baked or poached fish, rice with Bolognese, all soft fruits in slices, cottage cheese, grated cheese or sliced, sheperds pie and the like,...

My Bolognese is very easy: mince beef, chopped onions mushrooms and carrots, in a big pot with a box of passata, one tin tomatoes, garlic, basil, pepper, simmer for couple hours. Once a month, loads in freezer ready to use!

If you want to try a different yogurt, it seems to have struck a cord with many people ;), glenisk baby yogurt (fromage frais) is sweetened with fruit and taste very nice.

Hope that gave you a few ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Guest1111 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm on looking for ideas. My dd is just over 7 months and I give her the following foods. Does anyone have any suggestions to change it up a bit? Its mostly pureed foods. I'd like to get her onto lumpier foods and especially eating by herself but I dont think she is there now. When I leave bits of tomato and cheese on her high chair, she ignores them.

Typically, we have

I tried her on spag bol today (stage 2) but she would only take a little bit and then refused. I hate waste and Im kinda sticking to the foods she loves but I know I need to change it up. Any suggestions please?

You could just offer her the foods you eat? Pieces of pasta with veg sauces, toast, porridge, strips of meat...
    As long as there's no salt and nothing she's allergic to, or honey, then you can offer it to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My little one loves her finger food: at 7 months I was giving a finger food version of the meal followed by a puréed version. So say carrot and parsnip sticks, cubes of potatoes, broccoli florets at dinner. I was a total chicken (to excuse the pun!) with meats so didn't give them as finger food until after 8 months.

Lunch cheese on toast or soup and bread. Avocado and banana again both sticks of it for her to chew followed by a mashed version. Cheese sticks, cucumber, any sort of fruit really.

Like liliq I give whatever we're having within reason. One of her faves for dinner is a Thai curry with the baby organix curry pastes. She would devour any vegetable cooked in it. Served with noodles or rice whichever really.

Breakfast here is readybrek with plum and apple purée without fail. Desperately boring ;)

It takes awhile for them to realise that if the pick the food up they can eat it so just persevere with putting it on the highchair they do get there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

At 7 months my baby ate feck all. Purees was all she'd have. Only started eating textures now she's 12 months!
    All you can do is offer and if they dont want it they will one day!
    Good luck and dont worry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Guest1111 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Typically, we have

Breakfast: Porridge is ideal, when cooking you can add bluberries, grated apple, banana, finely chopped prunes.
    You may also give her rice pudding, mashed avocado or banana.

Lunch: Pureed veg is great, then if you add slices of smoked salmon and let it cook and break them so they add texture into the puree. Why I suggest smoked salmon instead of a normal salmon is because it's easier to break down when they're in slices plus you're guaranteed there's no bones in them. I usually get the cheap tesco/lidl/aldi ones, or the butchers/markets will sell you the trimmings cheaply.
    Other idea is to add a very small amount of meat/chicken into your veg before puree so your baby gets her protein, then for texture add a bit of cooked rice or lentils after you've pureed.
    Other ways to add texture into your puree is to grate in cooked potato/sweet potato/carrot/squash.

Dinner: stewed fruits that's mashed rather than pureed, or just give it a blitz so it has a bit of texture. Or you can add grated cooked fruits to your puree.

You can switch between lunch and dinner, personally I think it doesn't matter, as long as they get all the nutrients they need in a day.

If she's not ready for the likes of spag bol and all that heavier meals, leave in for another month. You can always just buy one of those jars to try out when you think she might be ready. It's only around 75c anyway. It won't be that much of a waste. Then when she's totally ready you can cook your own version of spag bol, tuna pasta, minestrone, chicken casserole, veg korma, etc

Good luck!

Advertisement