Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Speed Question

Options
  • 06-06-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

We got E Fibre installed yesterday and I have a question. We are on the 50 mb package with the modem currently being at 

DSL RX:30720/ TX:8191(Kbps)

Now I am aware we won't get the full 50 mb, but I found it strange that it's nearly 30 mb on the dot and not something like 35.xx, etc. I phoned support and was told that we were not on the 50 mb, but a 30 mb package (no such package exists apart from the business one). That person said they couldn't up the speed and I'd have to talk to sales, I did and they said it was 50 mb. I was asked to contact broadband support, but they seem to be backlogged.

My main question is have we been limited to 30 mb or is it just due to our distance from the cab (we are 300m from a cab, but I'm not sure if it's Fibre ready). I had to ring before when we were on the NGB as it had been capped at 3mb for some reason, it was then changed to 8 mb so I'm wondering is it the same situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

From all reports, at 300m from the cab, you should be getting in and around 40/45 mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

There are no 30mb packages you are right, you are most likely on the 50mb package, but your profile is only set to 30/8mb, that is most likely down to the quality of the line to the cab, I'm sure if you pass your details onto the eircom reps they will look into it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Razleavy wrote: »
    Hi,

We got E Fibre installed yesterday and I have a question. We are on the 50 mb package with the modem currently being at 

DSL RX:30720/ TX:8191(Kbps)

Now I am aware we won't get the full 50 mb, but I found it strange that it's nearly 30 mb on the dot and not something like 35.xx, etc. I phoned support and was told that we were not on the 50 mb, but a 30 mb package (no such package exists apart from the business one). That person said they couldn't up the speed and I'd have to talk to sales, I did and they said it was 50 mb. I was asked to contact broadband support, but they seem to be backlogged.

My main question is have we been limited to 30 mb or is it just due to our distance from the cab (we are 300m from a cab, but I'm not sure if it's Fibre ready). I had to ring before when we were on the NGB as it had been capped at 3mb for some reason, it was then changed to 8 mb so I'm wondering is it the same situation.

Hi Razleavy
    Yes distance from the cabinet will be a factor on the maximum speed availability on efibre.

However broadband technical support on 1890 260 260 (enter the efibre telephone number) they can run some checks ti insure everything is running at the max capability.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement