Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend moving to Limerick - Qs

• 06-06-2013 9:57pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An Italian friend of mine is moving to Limerick in September for 9 months, with a job lined up for the school year. He has a few questions that I wasn't much help in answering so hopefully someone here might be able to help.

The school where he'll be working is St. Brigid's NS in Singland. Does anyone know it or have kids there? How big is it and what's the area like?

He has two kids, 6 and 8 and expecting a third in the Autumn. Will there be any problems enrolling them or how long in advance would they need to do that? Do they accept foreigners and non-Catholics? (his question, I wouldn't have put it so bluntly!)

Any likely issues with giving birth in Ireland? Things to know, costs, that kind of thing?

What kind of rent would he be looking at for a flat or house for a medium-sized family?

Hurling, football or rugby? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

An Italian friend of mine is moving to Limerick in September for 9 months, with a job lined up for the school year. He has a few questions that I wasn't much help in answering so hopefully someone here might be able to help.

The school where he'll be working is St. Brigid's NS in Singland. Does anyone know it or have kids there? How big is it and what's the area like?

He has two kids, 6 and 8 and expecting a third in the Autumn. Will there be any problems enrolling them or how long in advance would they need to do that? Do they accept foreigners and non-Catholics? (his question, I wouldn't have put it so bluntly!)

Any likely issues with giving birth in Ireland? Things to know, costs, that kind of thing?

What kind of rent would he be looking at for a flat or house for a medium-sized family?

Hurling, football or rugby? :)

I grew up nearby, attended st brigids and moved back to the area as an adult. The Lynwood, Norwood, Granville area is full of people who've lived their whole lives here. I've bought a house here and so have a few of my friends. The area is quiet enough. A few kids handing around, drinking and acting the can at times. Nothing I didn't do myself as a teenager.

I've a few nieces and relatives attending the school. I'm not sure but I don't think the enrolment policy (Catholics, foreigners as you put it) is strict. But if your friend is working there - surely they've the right contacts to be asking those kind of questions???

Can't imagine the rent being too high in the surrounding estates. Have your friend check for rental in the area. Lynwood, Granville, Norwood, castletroy view, glenbrook, etc...

Can't help with the giving birth (costs, etc...) bit as I've no kids and not sure how non Irish are treated in our health system.

Hurling, rugby, football?
    For the kids or to support? Granville, Fairview (soccer), Richmond (rugby) and Claughaun (gaa) all nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

This makes no sense. He would have to be Garda vetted to work in a primary school here. If teaching he has to have Irish in Degree.

All of these questions could be answered by reception in the school in question
    061 419552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Why doesn't it make sense ?
    Maybe he is already Garda vetted.
    Maybe he is not going to be teaching....perhaps he has secured a job as a caretaker, he might even be just teaching basic Italian.

As for ringing up the school in question....maybe he is afraid that their answers to his questions might be a little biased in favour of the area.

As for the rest of the OP's questions; all perfectly valid enquiries.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Why doesn't it make sense ?
    Maybe he is already Garda vetted.
    Maybe he is not going to be teaching....perhaps he has secured a job as a caretaker, he might even be just teaching basic Italian.

As for ringing up the school in question....maybe he is afraid that their answers to his questions might be a little biased in favour of the area.

As for the rest of the OP's questions; all perfectly valid enquiries.

I couldn't understand myself why he didn't ask straight out about the school placement for the kids and he told me he hadn't mentioned to them that he had any... He's not actually confirmed 100% that he's taking the job so I don't know at what stage Garda vetting might come into the equation, if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Yes he absolutely 100% has to be garda vetted to work in a primary school where there are children!!!!!!!!

And that is a slow process taking several months

• Advertisement
Advertisement