Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My view on the gym and why people don't make any progress.

• 06-06-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi All,

There are a lot of things that I see and hear about in and out of gyms that annoys me on a daily basis. The first is personal trainers/gym staff that carry out assessments and put newbies on these stupid workout plans that involve too many machines and too much cardio. I think plans should involve all of the compound exercises such as the bench press, the deadlift, squats, shoulder press and then barbell curls for the biceps, close grip bench or dips for the triceps and maybe some calf raises. If you can get strong at each of those exercises then you will most likely see the results you want. Cardio should be limited to between 20 mins a day.

The next issue I have with the gym is how many people I see with terrible form. People try to use too much weight and use momentum to swing weight around which is not targeting the specific muscle group you are training. If people would take a little time and maybe watch a couple of youtube videos and learn the correct form then they would have less injuries and would see greater improvements in their physiques.

The third issue I have is 90% of people that go to the gym are just going through the motions. Sitting at machines and lifting weights which barely make them produce a bead of sweat. When I lift weights I bust my ass to lift as heavy as possible and ensuring my form is reasonable. No you will not get that physique you have always wanted by not putting in some hard work. Try and push yourself and stop giving up when you feel a little pain.

The next issue I have is the amount of women that do not lift weights and just run on the threadmill and go on the crosstrainer or do spinning classes and when I see them in 6 months the look the same. There are a couple of women at my gym that lift weights like the men do and they have great body's. They have the type of bodies that most women want but most women will never achieve because they spend all of their time doing cardio which does not change them. Women need to start lifting heavy weights if they are looking to get in shape. No you will not get bulky from heavy weights. You get bulky by eating a lot of food.

Next issue I have is people that go to the gym who don't have a set plan which they are following and just go to the gym and do whatever they feel like doing. You should be going to the gym with a set plan that you are going to follow and you should track/write down how much weight you lifted/how many reps you did. Every time you go to the gym you should be trying to be better than you were the previous week.

The next issue I have is how people expect to see results in a week. No you will not see significant results in a week. The guys/girls you see who are in excellent shape have probably been working their asses off for a number of years to get where they are and you will not be at their level in such a short space of time. set yourself goals and give yourself a couple of months to improve.

Finally I see so many people that lack muscle mass only working one muscle group per week. This is not optimal for most people because it does not take the muscle a whole week to recover. Frequency > volume which means you should work a muscle group twice a week rather than training it to failure just once a week. Do NOT be afraid of overtraining. Overtraining will almost definitely not happen to the average joe who goes to the gym.

I realise I went on a bit of a rant but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on the above. Do you agree or disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

U-WOT-M8.jpg

you're annoyed that everyone doesn't have ambitions of being a bodybuilder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Hi All,

There are a lot of things that I see and hear about in and out of gyms that annoys me on a daily basis. The first is personal trainers/gym staff that carry out assessments and put newbies on these stupid workout plans that involve too many machines and too much cardio. I think plans should involve all of the compound exercises such as the bench press, the deadlift, squats, shoulder press and then barbell curls for the biceps, close grip bench or dips for the triceps and maybe some calf raises. If you can get strong at each of those exercises then you will most likely see the results you want. Cardio should be limited to between 20 mins a day.

The next issue I have with the gym is how many people I see with terrible form. People try to use too much weight and use momentum to swing weight around which is not targeting the specific muscle group you are training. If people would take a little time and maybe watch a couple of youtube videos and learn the correct form then they would have less injuries and would see greater improvements in their physiques.

The third issue I have is 90% of people that go to the gym are just going through the motions. Sitting at machines and lifting weights which barely make them produce a bead of sweat. When I lift weights I bust my ass to lift as heavy as possible and ensuring my form is reasonable. No you will not get that physique you have always wanted by not putting in some hard work. Try and push yourself and stop giving up when you feel a little pain.

The next issue I have is the amount of women that do not lift weights and just run on the threadmill and go on the crosstrainer or do spinning classes and when I see them in 6 months the look the same. There are a couple of women at my gym that lift weights like the men do and they have great body's. They have the type of bodies that most women want but most women will never achieve because they spend all of their time doing cardio which does not change them. Women need to start lifting heavy weights if they are looking to get in shape. No you will not get bulky from heavy weights. You get bulky by eating a lot of food.

Next issue I have is people that go to the gym who don't have a set plan which they are following and just go to the gym and do whatever they feel like doing. You should be going to the gym with a set plan that you are going to follow and you should track/write down how much weight you lifted/how many reps you did. Every time you go to the gym you should be trying to be better than you were the previous week.

The next issue I have is how people expect to see results in a week. No you will not see significant results in a week. The guys/girls you see who are in excellent shape have probably been working their asses off for a number of years to get where they are and you will not be at their level in such a short space of time. set yourself goals and give yourself a couple of months to improve.

Finally I see so many people that lack muscle mass only working one muscle group per week. This is not optimal for most people because it does not take the muscle a whole week to recover. Frequency > volume which means you should work a muscle group twice a week rather than training it to failure just once a week. Do NOT be afraid of overtraining. Overtraining will almost definitely not happen to the average joe who goes to the gym.

I realise I went on a bit of a rant but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on the above. Do you agree or disagree?

Cool+Story+Bro+1.jpg

:D:D

On a marginally more serious note, the above are all general characteristics of our fitness industry/general populus I'm afraid. You'll probably have to build up a "gym tolerance" to these type of behavioural traits otherwise you'll end up getting wound up/distracted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I just skimmed all that but the fundamental issue with people not progressing is consistency in diet and training. Even if you have a crap routine you will still progress if you are consistent (within reason). Very few people consistently go to the gym/workout for more than a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Regarding the women lifting- have you ever thought that maybe they do just want to go on the treadmill and cross trainer?

I know a girl who's a regular at my gym and I went to school with who is a but scared of the weights section of the gym. Some men get intimidated in the weights section, you can only imagine women would too. Then again, they may not.

Not everyone wants the bodybuilding lifestyle you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

In fairness he makes some good points.

A lot of women want the results that weightlifting would bring but for some reason think its strange for women to lift weights or arent educated enough on the subject to give it a go.

For instance I have my girlfriend doing weights at home as part of her program but her sister goes to the gym yet wouldnt dream of going near the weights yet they both have the same goals.

Wanting to tone up and lose weight the quickest way possible isnt exactly leading a bodybuilders lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

The people that annoy you aren't being lazy by using machines/ treadmills, they're just doing what seems logical to the uneducated mind. When I was a noob, I wanted bigger pecs so I used to hop on the pec dec machine and do a load of reps, really focusing on getting a pump in the pecs. This seemed like the right way to do it, and when you look at clips of pro bodybuilders you often see them doing these type of workouts. When I wanted to get ripped I used to do high rep, light weight circuits and loads of running cos it seemed like the right thing to do. I actually trained really hard, I just got feck all results cos I was uneducated.

My point is you shouldn't be looking down on these people. They're probably just doing the workouts they see in magazines/ newspapers. It took me a long time to realise that the only real keys to a good physique are

(a) Getting strong on the big compound exercises
    (b) getting to a low body fat%

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Hogan1

U-WOT-M8.jpg

you're annoyed that everyone doesn't have ambitions of being a bodybuilder?

Did you even read the original post? I think most of what was said is true. People have poor form, do too much cardio, don't push themselves and expect to get bigger and stronger by lifting light weights. It's generally down to the crap they read in magazines and on forums and it will probably take people a few years to realise why they ain't getting any results. When people say they want to tone up I facepalm. Does toning up not mean you want to gain muscle and lose fat? Then try lifting some heavy weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pity Will isn't about. I'd like to see his response to the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

there time they can do what they want with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

there time they can do what they want with it

Agreed.

While I also agree with what the OP is saying why would anyone care about what someone else is doing in the gym?

Go to the gym, do your own thing and go home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

Those places are not gyms, they are health clubs. Plus, most people in them are morons.

Girls terrified of weights because they will end up looking like arnie.

If people spent one third the amount of time doing squats as they did trotting along on a treadmill, maybe then they would wake up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I see alot of that in my gym too, fitness instructors that i have seen for the most part are bloody useless, yes there are a few who are very hands on and good at their job but most of the ones iv seen are glorified weight stackers...

I have to laugh at people who come to the gym and sit on a bike doung a less than moderate "workout" for an hour while txting or going on facebook on the phone :rolleyes: we all have them in our gyms id say... It takes time to learn how to train properly and i think alot of people give up before they do learn because they are not enjoying it or not seeing results.

There are a couple of girls who lift weights in my gym, they train hard and look good because of it.

I am noticing more and more people training these days though be that in the gym or out walking or running and i think its great.

If anyone wants to see the results proper training can get you check out cormack neugent fitness on facebook, this guy has gone through a great transformation in less than a year. good motivation for anyone struggling

Its not even about, "Their time their money bro".

If you are going to do it, then do it right.

Educate yourself.

alphamule wrote: »
    Its not even about, "Their time their money brah".

Educate yourself.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

that's a bit sexist
    aaakev wrote: »

I have to laugh at people who come to the gym and sit on a bike doung a less than moderate "workout" for an hour while txting or going on facebook on the

I saw someone reading a book once ffs

Iv seen it too, i sometimes think id like to smak them! They have made the effort to get up and go to the gym and spend the money but waist the time they have there!! I blame the gym staff for this, they should be motivating these people to train! One trainer in my gym will get on the bile or treadmil next to someone slacking and train with them, he pushes them on and and they seem to enjoy it more. I think they should all be doing this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I don't go to the weights section because it may as well be called 'man section'. Super intimidating and I don't even feel comfortable walking by it, never mind training within it.

I'm happy to do the weights classes and use the cardio machines. I like being able to run fast and it makes me feel fit and healthy. I dont really see the point in getting annoyed at what other people do. Surely its not really your business and the point of gyms is to concentrate on your own training and not others?

Greenduck wrote: »
    I don't go to the weights section because it may as well be called 'man section'. Super intimidating and I don't even feel comfortable walking by it, never mind training within it.

OT

Would you try going in the morning when there are less people there? When I started that's what I did. Now I don't mind going at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Hey Op, i am looking at getting back weights training. I am in fairly good shape as i swim 1-1.5 km open water 3-4 times a week. Unfortunately i am one of the uneducated masses when it comes to weights programmes but i always include the compound exercises which i know are key. My question is could you recommend any online resources to help me build a good programme for increasing strength. Im a big enuf guy naturally and i always respond well to weights in terms of bulking up so ill specify strenght as the aim. Also my diet is already pretty good. Thanjs for any links/info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Surely this is a confidence issue more than anything else !! Trust me even the smaller guys get intimidated. I'm not that small myself and there is ALWAYS someone twice your size lifting heavier weights. At the end of the day no one cares ;)

• Advertisement

Hey Op, i am looking at getting back weights training. I am in fairly good shape as i swim 1-1.5 km open water 3-4 times a week. Unfortunately i am one of the uneducated masses when it comes to weights programmes but i always include the compound exercises which i know are key. My question is could you recommend any online resources to help me build a good programme for increasing strength. Im a big enuf guy naturally and i always respond well to weights in terms of bulking up so ill specify strenght as the aim. Also my diet is already pretty good. Thanjs for any links/info.

Starting Strength and

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Give these a read dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd love to know how we got here tbh. The average person seems to have split fitness in their mind between:

training to look like Arnie in his prime
    being 'normal' and playing ball or doing cardio machines

and accepted ideas like 'lash into cardio to lose weight' and 'weights will make you big'.

Then with respect to diet, "low fat" is king and whole grain and starchy carbs rule the world. I know where that came from mind, and good luck to anyone who wants to take on the vested interests that imposed the food pyramid on people.

But it's harder to see the vested interests that created the current warped view of fitness in the average person's mind. Who's pushing that rubbish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Is this is a thinly veiled "I'm better than you at gyming" thread?

OT

Would you try going in the morning when there are less people there? When I started that's what I did. Now I don't mind going at any time.

The only time I would feel comfortable to be honest if I was with a friend (man). Its unfortunate but I think I would feel so paranoid that I wouldn't train properly.

The mornings aren't really a runner unfortunately. Excuse the pun.

As for it being a confidence issue, I'd completely agree. I don't think it's just me however as I have seen one woman in the weights section in the past three weeks.

The only time I would feel comfortable to be honest if I was with a friend (man). Its unfortunate but I think I would feel so paranoid that I wouldn't train properly.

The mornings aren't really a runner unfortunately. Excuse the pun.

As for it being a confidence issue, I'd completely agree. I don't think it's just me however as I have seen one woman in the weights section in the past three weeks.

Its like anything new, fear of the unknown.

Right up a plan of what you want to do the night before.

Unfortunately some gyms are poorly run and you will get muppets hogging machines, or leaving weights all over the floor.

If your goal is too bulk up and learn compound lifts dont go to Ben Dunne gym. These franchise gyms are more suited for those anorexic threadmill women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

That wouldn't bother me at all. I would find that hilarious. They're obviously enjoying themselves and there are plenty of other machines in the majority of places.
    Iv seen it too, i sometimes think id like to smak them! They have made the effort to get up and go to the gym and spend the money but waist the time they have there!!

It's their membership. They can do what they like.

I spoke to a lady last week in one of my classes and I asked her what her goal was and she said she hadn't any goal, she just attended the classes because she enjoyed them.

People should focus on themselves while in the gym, not on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

I think some people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I agree that its your time and your money and you can do whatever you want in the gym. I just think that if you go to the expense and effort of joining a gym and going to classes that you might aswell get the most out of it. It really is down to being more educated and sifting through the bull**** in magazines and the bull**** advice that personal trainers and people in general spew out.

I understand that the weight sections of gyms can be intimidating for women too and men also but I guess you just have to bite the bullet and stick a pair of headphones in and block everyone else out. It is a good idea to have a workout partner also that can push you and check your form. For the poster asking for workout plans you could try starting strength or stronglifts 5 x 5 and then when you think you can handle more volume maybe try layne nortons PHAT.

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    That wouldn't bother me at all. I would find that hilarious. They're obviously enjoying themselves and there are plenty of other machines in the majority of places.

I spoke to a lady last week in one of my classes and I asked her what her goal was and she said she hadn't any goal, she just attended the classes because she enjoyed them.

Yes people should focus on themselves and that woman might be the exception to the rule but the majority of people go to the gym because they want to get in better shape and when you don't see results because there is so much bad information out there then it can be frustrating and people ultimately give up.

Thats it, my da for example. Massively overweight, so the genius trainer puts him on the treadmill. Comes home with knees swollen every time.

Now he goes down to sit in the sauna and steam room with the other fat old guys instead of training. Hes happy so leave him to it.

I think hes also waiting for the water charges to be introduced so he can just go for showers in the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Yes people should focus on themselves and that woman might be the exception to the rule but the majority of people go to the gym because they want to get in better shape and when you don't see results because there is so much bad information out there then it can be frustrating and people ultimately give up.

Yes - but how do you identify these people?

It is unfair to pinpoint everyone on cross trainers/bikes/treadmills and jump to the conclusion that they are wasting their time and getting nowhere.

You don't know what their circumstances are. They may have an injury. They may just want to "go for a stroll". It shouldn't really be a concern of yours unless you happen to be their trainer and they've asked for your advice.

Weight training is popping up everywhere now. If people really wanted guidance on how to lower body fat and see results they'd more than likely ask.

My point is not everyone wants to be educated and those that don't shouldn't have to enter a gym feeling judged.

Edit// I agree with you though. Majority of "personal trainers" in gyms are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Hi All,

So the first thing that annoys you is that gym instructors assign novices machine weights and simple isolation exercises instead of more complex compound movements.

The second thing that annoys you is poor form. Do you think you would see better or worse form if instructors gave "newbies" complex movements on their introductory program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see alot of that in my gym too, fitness instructors that i have seen for the most part are bloody useless, yes there are a few who are very hands on and good at their job but most of the ones iv seen are glorified weight stackers...
    Agree 100% with this. First 3 fitness instructors gave sh|te assessments, but the current dude actually has a clue, and the current routine usually has me in bits afterwards :/

alphamule wrote: »
    Its like anything new, fear of the unknown.

Right up a plan of what you want to do the night before.

Unfortunately some gyms are poorly run and you will get muppets hogging machines, or leaving weights all over the floor.

If your goal is too bulk up and learn compound lifts dont go to Ben Dunne gym. These franchise gyms are more suited for those anorexic threadmill women.

My goal is to be fit and healthy and strong. I realise that I need to lift weights to be strong but until I get a bit of nerve I'll be on that treadmill.

Came in handy when I was running for the DART this morning. :)

One word people - CROSSFIT

It is unfair to pinpoint everyone on cross trainers/bikes/treadmills and jump to the conclusion that they are wasting their time and getting nowhere.

You don't know what their circumstances are. They may have an injury. They may just want to "go for a stroll". It shouldn't really be a concern of yours unless you happen to be their trainer and they've asked for your advice.

Weight training is popping up everywhere now. If people really wanted guidance on how to lower body fat and see results they'd more than likely ask.

My point is not everyone wants to be educated and those that don't shouldn't have to enter a gym feeling judged.

Well I know countless people that sign up for a gym membership, get an assessment done by a gym instructor and then 2 months later they are no longer going to the gym because they did not see any results in the 2 months they were there. Have you ever thought that when people join a gym that they are looking for advice and it just so happens that they get poor advice off an instructor?

Yes not everyone wants to be educated but I can guarantee there's alot more people that do want to be than those that do not. How do you identify the people that do? I don't have a dam clue.

• Advertisement

Edit// I agree with you though. Majority of "personal trainers" in gyms are brutal.
    Thats the problem tho people dont ask for help for the most part so its up to the trainers to see this an offer the guidance they need but from what i can see it doesnt happen most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Its Treadmill!!!
    I Agree with the trainers. I never ask questions to the trainers. They just sit at the top of the stairs, looking down at anybody that comes up.
    You may think that people on cross trainers and treadmills are wasting their time, but surely its better to be doing some form of exercise, than sitting at home on the sofa.

banquet wrote: »
    So the first thing that annoys you is that gym instructors assign novices machine weights and simple isolation exercises instead of more complex compound movements.

The second thing that annoys you is poor form. Do you think you would see better or worse form if instructors gave "newbies" complex movements on their introductory program?

Yes these things do annoy me. I understand that people are started on machines with a view to moving them on to the free weights a few months down the line but in my opinion if you can be shown from day one how to bench squat and deadlift then you will be setup far better than doing isolation exercises. Isolation exercises can be added down the line to help shape the muscle after enough mass has been added.

Yes I do understand that it is not easy to perfect the bench squat and deadlift in a day and it can take months or even years to get them perfect but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Its Treadmill!!!
    I Agree with the trainers. I never ask questions to the trainers. They just sit at the top of the stairs, looking down at anybody that comes up.
    You may think that people on cross trainers and treadmills are wasting their time, but surely its better to be doing some form of exercise, than sitting at home on the sofa.

Yes it most definitely is but I'm simply saying that there are other ways to utilize your time better and see better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Is just me or is there a whole different energy to a place when a good chunk of the people in it are properly pushing themselves rather than being curl and treadmill zombies?
    just walking into my last gym was a kick in the ass with most people really putting in effort, not just brutes horsing big weights but regular people doing hiit, complexes or just trying to get stronger/in shape.
    my gym previous to that felt dead in comparison even when it was full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dude just admire yourself in the mirror and stop worrying about what other people are doing. If everyone was strong and ripped then nobody would be stronger or more ripped.
    People have different goals and no one type of training is for everyone. This mix of power-lifting, body-building, cross-fit, HIIT that we all seem to do on this forum is only one type of training.

Contrary to popular belief some solid state, medium intensity long duration cardio is good for you. Gregg Plitt does 45mins running 4 times a week, Jay Cutler does 2 hours a day.....cant always be liftin and eatin.:)

Also treadmill does not equal threadmill, although a thread mill would be useful tool on here sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well I know countless people that sign up for a gym membership, get an assessment done by a gym instructor and then 2 months later they are no longer going to the gym because they did not see any results in the 2 months they were there. Have you ever thought that when people join a gym that they are looking for advice and it just so happens that they get poor advice off an instructor?
    Half of them expect muscles and general fitness to happen with little input from themselves. They see Bob who has being going to the gym for years, and are disappointed when it doesn't happen straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm a somewhat skinny guy and I find the weights section intimidating. I even remember my 2nd or 3rd ever time doing squats, walking away in a pile of sweat and being proud of squatting 50kg only for a small thin girl to use the squat rack after me and use the same 50kg as her bloody warmup set! (yeah, i didnt put the plates back)

Does it stop me? No, for the simple reason that everybody has been there at some stage. I don't mind doing some bench reps with just the bar as a warmup beside a massive tank deadlifting the equivalent of a grand piano as it is almost like a rite of passage. I know from marathon-related injuries I have incurred (and from lurking this forum) how bad technique can screw you up, so starting small and not being embarassed by it should be the priority of everybody starting off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

the_syco wrote: »
    Half of them expect muscles and general fitness to happen with little input from themselves. They see Bob who has being going to the gym for years, and are disappointed when it doesn't happen straight away.

A lot of it I reckon is down to crash diets based on quick goals in short terms along with short term work out regimes that get endorsed in a lot of magazines and on the TV. It sets an unreal expectation. If someone is hitting the gym and is obvious they are signing up for something that is over their heads, they really should be set straight. The question though is by whom? Instructors in a gym are mainly there to advise on the gear, basic routines and watch out in case anyone gets into a spot of bother.

Dude just admire yourself in the mirror and stop worrying about what other people are doing. If everyone was strong and ripped then nobody would be stronger or more ripped.
    People have different goals and no one type of training is for everyone. This mix of power-lifting, body-building, cross-fit, HIIT that we all seem to do on this forum is only one type of training.

Contrary to popular belief some solid state, medium intensity long duration cardio is good for you. Gregg Plitt does 45mins running 4 times a week, Jay Cutler does 2 hours a day.....cant always be liftin and eatin.:)

Also treadmill does not equal threadmill, although a thread mill would be useful tool on here sometimes.

Ok dude well next time I want to give some advice/express an opinion I will keep it to myself. Yes jay cutler and Greg Plitt probably do alot of cardio but then most people are not trying to win the Mr Olympia or grace the cover of a fitness magazine and you can bet that they both lift heavy weights most days of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Everyone starts somewhere mate.
    When I first walked into a gym, my mate got me doing deadlifts. I was struggling with 40kg. I deadlifted 180kg for 5 reps last sat.

If people have the interest in improving, they will source the information from somewhere or someone. Everyone goes to the gym for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I find the weights section intimidating so I usually do classes that involve weights. My OH finds it intimidating too.
    A lot of people in this thread are saying that its because we are self conscious and that nobody cares what we are doing, but surely this thread shows that people are looking and do care.

How on earth are people like me the OH supposed to relax and feel confident to try some weights when there are so many people like the OP clearly looking and criticizing every wrong move you make!

Sounds like OP spends most of his time gawping at others, getting frustrated with them and adding to the intimidating atmosphere that surrounds the weights section.

OP, if you see someone doing it wrong and it really bothers you, why don't you strike up a conversation with them and offer them some friendly advice.

I find the weights section intimidating so I usually do classes that involve weights. My OH finds it intimidating too.
    A lot of people in this thread are saying that its because we are self conscious and that nobody cares what we are doing, but surely this thread shows that people are looking and do care.

How on earth are people like me the OH supposed to relax and feel confident to try some weights when there are so many people like the OP clearly looking and criticizing every wrong move you make!

Sounds like OP spends most of his time gawping at others, getting frustrated with them and adding to the intimidating atmosphere that surrounds the weights section.

OP, if you see someone doing it wrong and it really bothers you, why don't you strike up a conversation with them and offer them some friendly advice.

BINGO.

WrigleysExtra I think loveisdivine has his the nail on the head here. No wonder people are intimidating when they know people like you are judging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Ok dude well next time I want to give some advice/express an opinion I will keep it to myself. Yes jay cutler and Greg Plitt probably do alot of cardio but then most people are not trying to win the Mr Olympia or grace the cover of a fitness magazine and you can bet that they both lift heavy weights most days of the week.

Most people want to get fit and loose/gain a few kilograms, my point is that people train differently for different goals, just cause they dont do what you do doesnt make their efforts any less admirable than yours. I am sure a marathon runner or triathlete is the same about guys squatting and drinking protien shakes as you are about the person on the treadmill. Dont get worked up, it will raise your cortisol levels and wreck your gainzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
Advertisement