Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My view on the gym and why people don't make any progress.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As a woman, I find gyms to be completely off-putting. Stinking of sweat, damp hand prints all over the place. Has that guy who was just at those weights scratching his balls 5 minutes before?

Huffing, puffing, panting people like hamsters in cages. Music blaring, televisions flickering and flashing. Extremely difficult to concentrate on anything at all in there, let alone a program.

The poster who wants to 'smak' people for 'waisting' time reading while cycling, might want to open a book themselves the odd time too.

I don't want to look like anything in particular. I'm happy with my weight, I just want to maintain some general cardiac fitness. A jog around the park 4 times a week does fine with the rest of my normal activity. Why would I do weights too for goodness sake. I've plenty of other things to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

I find the weights section intimidating so I usually do classes that involve weights. My OH finds it intimidating too.
    A lot of people in this thread are saying that its because we are self conscious and that nobody cares what we are doing, but surely this thread shows that people are looking and do care.

How on earth are people like me the OH supposed to relax and feel confident to try some weights when there are so many people like the OP clearly looking and criticizing every wrong move you make!

Sounds like OP spends most of his time gawping at others, getting frustrated with them and adding to the intimidating atmosphere that surrounds the weights section.

OP, if you see someone doing it wrong and it really bothers you, why don't you strike up a conversation with them and offer them some friendly advice.

You have it completely wrong. You know when I first started in the gym I was doing dumbell rows with an 18kg dumbell and one of the older instructors corrected me on my form and I still think about that everything I do dumbell rows.

I certainly don't gawp at people when they are lifting weights but it is hard not to notice the same people day in day out. And yes I have actually given advice to people and they have appreciated it but its not something I would do on a regular basis.

Anyways everyone here seems to be happy with their training regimes so good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

pwurple wrote: »
    As a woman, I find gyms to be completely off-putting. Stinking of sweat, damp hand prints all over the place. Has that guy who was just at those weights scratching his balls 5 minutes before?

Huffing, puffing, panting people like hamsters in cages. Music blaring, televisions flickering and flashing. Extremely difficult to concentrate on anything at all in there, let alone a program.

The poster who wants to 'smak' people for 'waisting' time reading while cycling, might want to open a book themselves the odd time too.

I don't want to look like anything in particular. I'm happy with my weight, I just want to maintain some general cardiac fitness. A jog around the park 4 times a week does fine with the rest of my normal activity. Why would I do weights too for goodness sake. I've plenty of other things to be doing.

So you've joined the conversation about gym usage and progress to say you dislike gyms and "you've got plenty of other things to be doing" then lifting weights. Is one of those "things" commenting on topics you have very little or no interest in? I think I'd prefer to lift weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Contrary to popular belief some solid state, medium intensity long duration cardio is good for you. Gregg Plitt does 45mins running 4 times a week, Jay Cutler does 2 hours a day.....cant always be liftin and eatin.:)

/QUOTE]

I dont know who Greg plitt is but Jay cutler is horsing down the anabolics and anti catabolics so doing 2 hours cardio will not raise his cortisol or have any negative effects due to the fact his system is going to be tending towards anabolism 100% of the time.

For a regular person with limited time to spend working out the type of cardio described is a waste of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

People judge all day long, many of the negative posters are judging the op.

Many of you simple need to grow a pair and get out of your comfort zone.

Read, go on youtube and then put that into action.

Many of you seem convinced that cardio is the be all and end all. Why join a gym so, run around the block!!

You are saying you want to get fit but are not willing to do certain things!

Well then, when you eventually fail you will know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

tending towards anabolism 100% of the time.

For a regular person with limited time to spend working out the type of cardio described is a waste of time.

Would this type of cardio not condition you like an athlete (last time I looked runners were athletes)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

pwurple wrote: »

Let me explain why i said that i feel like smacking them because you did not understand why i said it. The type of people you see doing this are generally over weight and complain about being over weight so they join a gym. They then sit on a bike and move the peddels while messing on a phone or reading a book, they could sit there for an hour and not sweat a drop and will still be complaining in 6 months time because they have not lost weight but have been in the gym for months!! I want to smak them for their sake not for mine :rolleyes:

Personally i find it very easy to concentrate in the gym no matter how many people are there or how much noise.

And my brain get enough of a workout in work so i dont read really but if i did they gym would be the last place id go to do it!

An we feel the need to educate people who are not looking for our help because? I am on leg day today, need to enter a zen like state, not be fretting about others....tempo squats without lockouts on the cards...gosh I am fantastic.

Would this type of cardio not condition you like an athlete (last time I looked runners were athletes)?

Last time I looked Darts players were athletes, does that mean we should stand on one spot flexing and extending one arm?

Here's how it is there's many tools some can do the job better then others, have you ever tried to channel out for hinges with a flat head screw driver? I have and a chisel is much more efficent. Now sometimes you have to use the only thing you have to hand. but if you have the choice then a chisel is a better option.

Also on the subject of conditioning, there's a lot more to conditioning for a runner or any other athlete then just performing the task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP are you for real?

I want to get fit. So if I go by your theory and lift a **** load of weight doing my best to cripple myself while i am at it, then this should be good enough to improve my fitness levels so that i am not keeled over out of breath and full of muscle pain after ruinning for the bus.....

cop on will ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

stevieob wrote: »
    OP are you for real?

I want to get fit. So if I go by your theory and lift a **** load of weight doing my best to cripple myself while i am at it, then this should be good enough to improve my fitness levels so that i am not keeled over out of breath and full of muscle pain after ruinning for the bus.....

cop on will ya

Does lifting weights cripple people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think that if you do what the OP suggests you won't be keeled over running for a bus to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

This post has been deleted.

Thanks you! The benefits of cardiac exercise are numerous and well established. Resistance exercise also has benefits but for the cardiovascular system and relieving stress cardio is king!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

It sounds like the OP is going to the gym purely for vanity's sake, I think health benefits are way down his list of priorities.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Resistance exercise also has benefits but for the cardiovascular system and relieving stress cardio is king!

Cardio kicks out the most amount of stress hormones of any type of exercise so for actually relieving stress its pure sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

alphamule wrote: »
    Does lifting weights cripple people?

After a good session Im pretty much crippled the next day. Its a kind of masochistic pleasure though because I know I worked hard and Im pleased with myself.

I think this sums up the OP's post:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I had a shoulder operation and have been told not to touch weights for months. So at the moment I am one of these people that just goes on the bike, because its the only exercise I can do. And I think any exercise is better than nothing
    But thank god my gym has a womens only weight section then I dont have to worry about people like the op judging me when I finally get back into fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

I mostly train hard in the morning but sometimes I head to the gym in the evenings to get away from the missus. I just peddle away on the bike and ponder life or listen to a podcast. To the evening people I must look like I am wasting my time. The gym is my sanctuary atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Thanks you! The benefits of cardiac exercise are numerous and well established. Resistance exercise also has benefits but for the cardiovascular system and relieving stress cardio is king!

CardiO, not cardiac.

As Enmet said, cardio, running etc at high intensity for prolonged periods will cause a huge amount of the body's major stress hormone, cortisol, to be released, explaining why marathon runners are so thin/have such low muscle mass yet are fantastic athletes at their sport.

In short, for the vast majority of people, varied & periodised resistance training/weight training & some movement of varying intensities are the best way to stay in decent shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Hanley wrote: »
    Is this is a thinly veiled "I'm better than you at gyming" thread?

Thinly veiled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

We all need a mixture of weights and cardio, guys and girls.

I personally find that more endorphins are released when I blast a huge weights session, rather than breaking through on my distance runs, though this is also enjoyable. But for me the amount of stress relief is proportional to the endorphin release, and weights certainly trumps cardio.

CardiO, not cardiac.

As Enmet said, cardio, running etc at high intensity for prolonged periods will cause a huge amount of the body's major stress hormone, cortisol, to be released, explaining why marathon runners are so thin/have such low muscle mass yet are fantastic athletes at their sport.

In short, for the vast majority of people, varied & periodised resistance training/weight training & some movement of varying intensities are the best way to stay in decent shape

No I meant cardiac. I suppose i had cardiac rehab in my mind when i was typing that.
    Marathon runners are at the extreme end of what we are talking about and irrelevant to a discussion about average gym users.

Can you tell me any other physiological/hormonal effects exercising the cardiovascular system?

No I meant cardiac. I suppose i had cardiac rehab in my mind when i was typing that.
    Marathon runners are at the extreme end of what we are talking about and irrelevant to a discussion about average gym users.

Can you tell me any other physiological/hormonal effects exercising the cardiovascular system?

What kind of effects are you looking for?

Improved heart stroke rate reducing resting heart rate, more efficient lungs/greater VO2 max etc.
    There are huge benefits.
    I'd have to go looking for the hormonal effects.

However, these benefits can be improved even further by a properly structured weight training programme coupled with Sprints of various distances/recovery times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Isolation exercises can be added down the line to help shape the muscle after enough mass has been added.

it.

Any and all credibility is ruined by the above. Lol.

What kind of effects are you looking for?

Improved heart stroke rate reducing resting heart rate, more efficient lungs/greater VO2 max etc.
    There are huge benefits.
    I'd have to go looking for the hormonal effects.

However, these benefits can be improved even further by a properly structured weight training programme coupled with Sprints of various distances/recovery times

Hang on now you highlight that that cortisol is increased by cardio exercise but then recommend spirits? Running sprints as in HIIT (although great for fitness) has a big cortisol effect.

Im not saying you are wrong that weights and sprints are good for strength and conditioning. But we are talking about average everyday gym users. The national exercise guidelines for adults are 50minutes vigorous exercise daily. the benefits are massive and include increases in sleep, mood, disease reduction, risk factor reduction, blood circulation increases ect.

The op is giving out that people having a jog on now treadmill in the evenings are waisting their time and getting no benefit. Im pointing out he just cant see those benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Stick a pair of headphones in and block everyone else out.

Lovin' this do as I say not as I do attitude

I'm not gonna argue with you there.

We are not meant to be sedentary creatures.
    The chair & convenience foods are doing us serious damage.

These people on the treadmill, bike, Zumba, step classes are lapping the people sitting on their holes.

However, they could be deriving better benefits by combining their efforts with some resistance exercise.

I'd agree that sprints would release cortisol, but which would release more, 10 x 60m sprints with ample recovery and a weights circuit all taking 50 mins or 1 x 10km run that takes 50 mins?

I'm not gonna argue with you there.

We are not meant to be sedentary creatures.
    The chair & convenience foods are doing us serious damage.

These people on the treadmill, bike, Zumba, step classes are lapping the people sitting on their holes.

However, they could be deriving better benefits by combining their efforts with some resistance exercise.

I'd agree that sprints would release cortisol, but which would release more, 10 x 60m sprints with ample recovery and a weights circuit all taking 50 mins or 1 x 10km run that takes 50 mins?

sprints everytime!!! The insulin resistance following an intense sprint session is horrendous in comparison to a jog.

Remember the population you are talking about as well. Not all gym members are in their twentys

As someone who has about 6 weeks left in his 20 twenties, I've always recovered better from sprint sessions than from long runs, but I take your point about older gym members.

Any links to studies/reports backing up that sprints release more cortisol than a long jog/run?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caliwali

Hi All,

There are a lot of things that I see and hear about in and out of gyms that annoys me on a daily basis. The first is personal trainers/gym staff that carry out assessments and put newbies on these stupid workout plans that involve too many machines and too much cardio.

I'm not a personal trainer, but if I was there's no way I would assign complex lifts to newbies knowing they wouldn't receive future sessions teaching them correct form. I'd give them a workout that I knew they could complete without injuring themselves.
    I think plans should involve all of the compound exercises such as the bench press, the deadlift, squats, shoulder press and then barbell curls for the biceps, close grip bench or dips for the triceps and maybe some calf raises. If you can get strong at each of those exercises then you will most likely see the results you want. Cardio should be limited to between 20 mins a day.

So regardless of what your training goals actually are, if you do these things you will most likely achieve them. This is so wrong I should have stopped reading here.
    The next issue I have with the gym is how many people I see with terrible form. People try to use too much weight and use momentum to swing weight around which is not targeting the specific muscle group you are training. If people would take a little time and maybe watch a couple of youtube videos and learn the correct form then they would have less injuries and would see greater improvements in their physiques.

Again you are presuming everyone wants to improve their physiques which is wrong. But yeah I'd agree with you in that everyone should take the time to learn correct technique before they start lifting. This doesn't always work because newbies normally aren't particularly kinaesthetically aware, but it would help. People hired by the gyms who are qualified in teaching resistance training need to intervene more often imo.
    The third issue I have is 90% of people that go to the gym are just going through the motions. Sitting at machines and lifting weights which barely make them produce a bead of sweat. When I lift weights I bust my ass to lift as heavy as possible and ensuring my form is reasonable. No you will not get that physique you have always wanted by not putting in some hard work. Try and push yourself and stop giving up when you feel a little pain.

Bit of an arbitrary figure, but yes a lot of people appear to just go through the motions. That said most people have lives outside the gym and don't want to be left physically and mentally exhausted by giving busting their asses in the gym every day. Again with the physique thing.
    The next issue I have is the amount of women that do not lift weights and just run on the threadmill and go on the crosstrainer or do spinning classes and when I see them in 6 months the look the same. There are a couple of women at my gym that lift weights like the men do and they have great body's. They have the type of bodies that most women want but most women will never achieve because they spend all of their time doing cardio which does not change them. Women need to start lifting heavy weights if they are looking to get in shape. No you will not get bulky from heavy weights. You get bulky by eating a lot of food.

Ain't nothing wrong with no cardio. They may look the same but that doesn't mean they aren't a lot healthier than when they started. Looks =/= health. And has been pointed out before, the weights room can be pretty intimidating. I'd be intimidated working out in a room full of women, and I'm ridiculously good looking. But yes a lot of women definitely have misconceptions when it comes to resistance training, and I think this is changing albeit slowly. There are many, many health benefits for women in resistance training besides 'looking good' that should be sufficient motivation.
    Next issue I have is people that go to the gym who don't have a set plan which they are following and just go to the gym and do whatever they feel like doing...
    The next issue I have is how people expect to see results in a week...
    Finally I see so many people that lack muscle mass only working one muscle group per week...

While I agree with some of what you say, you devoted a lot of time to a lot of issues in this post and none of them affect you..you need to relax man!

• Advertisement

Hmm I'm not really sure how to reply to some of the replies in this thread. I guess if you are happy with how you look then that's fine but I think what I've been trying to say is aimed more towards the people that actually do want to change their body shape but are doing all of the wrong things in order to reach their goal. Judging by most of the replies, you guys seem to know it all so I guess there was no need for me to go on a rant. Lets hope all of the gym newbies are as educated as you guys, get the most out of the gym and have all the guidance they need need on the way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

OP is spot on in my opinion. He has given reasons why people go to the gym for months on end and make no progress, we all know people like that, and he sets out the reasons why he thinks they dont. All the reasons seem valid and logical to me.

I reckon half the people moaning at his post are the half that make no progress.

Good post, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Hmm I'm not really sure how to reply to some of the replies in this thread. I guess if you are happy with how you look then that's fine but I think what I've been trying to say is aimed more towards the people that actually do want to change their body shape but are doing all of the wrong things in order to reach their goal. Judging by most of the replies, you guys seem to know it all so I guess there was no need for me to go on a rant. Lets hope all of the gym newbies are as educated as you guys, get the most out of the gym and have all the guidance they need need on the way....

I knew the type of people you were talking about and i reckon most of the other posters did too but chose to slate you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

I did 100 burpees and kettlebell swings in the studio the other day, I was dripping with sweat, Probably better than doing an hour on the treadmill (depending on how fast you would go). I still do a bit of jogging, nice bit of fresh air and the dogs get their exercise too.

I think this type of exercise is better, burpees are what the military use to test your fitness they are quite humbling.

Having said that I am still a tubby telletubbie but I am slowing getting into a good routine I think.

I want to join Crossfit but It is so damn expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Why is it only gym monkeys who complain that everyone is doing it wrong? Do runners whinge about people running wrong?

God I hate powerbuilders.

Perhaps consider others in the gym are only there for a bit of auld exercise then they'll go home and do something they are actually interested in. If an internal fire consumes you and compels you to lift weights and buy sleevless t-shirts with over aggresive imagery then go ahead but it's not everybody's bag.

Also worth considering you could be doing it wrong too.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Hi All,

There are a lot of things that I see and hear about in and out of gyms that annoys me on a daily basis.

The next issue I have is the amount of women that do not lift weights and just run on the threadmill and go on the crosstrainer or do spinning classes and when I see them in 6 months the look the same.

You know what I see on a nearly daily basis that drives me nuts? People calling them threadmills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

sawfish wrote: »
    I did 100 burpees and kettlebell swings in the studio the other day, I was dripping with sweat, Probably better than doing an hour on the treadmill (depending on how fast you would go). I still do a bit of jogging, nice bit of fresh air and the dogs get their exercise too.

I think this type of exercise is better, burpees are what the military use to test your fitness they are quite humbling.

Having said that I am still a tubby telletubbie but I am slowing getting into a good routine I think.

I want to join Crossfit but It is so damn expensive.

Plenty of non CrossFit gyms do similar style training, some are as expensive, some not! It COULD be a case of you get what you pay for! Where are you based & someone might be able to recommend somewhere!

You can do plenty of WOD's that require no equipment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Burkatron wrote: »
    Plenty of non CrossFit gyms do similar style training, some are as expensive, some not! It COULD be a case of you get what you pay for! Where are you based & someone might be able to recommend somewhere!

You can do plenty of WOD's that require no equipment!

Based in North Wicklow, Bray, Greystones area. There are actually two crossfits in Bray but the price is a bit steep.

Yeah I was thinking of getting some of the bodyweight workouts from the website and doing them in the studio, the gym I`m in has a prowler and all; still, not the same as having coaches helping you all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

sawfish wrote: »
    Based in North Wicklow, Bray, Greystones area. There are actually two crossfits in Bray but the price is a bit steep.

Yeah I was thinking of getting some of the bodyweight workouts from the website and doing them in the studio, the gym I`m in has a prowler and all; still, not the same as having coaches helping you all the time.

Yeah, I know Alan up in CrossFit Strength & performance. Their setup is amazing! Someone might be able to give you a suitable alternative!

• Advertisement

Big_G wrote: »
    You know what I see on a nearly daily basis that drives me nuts? People calling them threadmills.

Yawn... someone has already beat you to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

Yawn... someone has already beat you to it.

Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

KTRIC wrote: »
    Surely this is a confidence issue more than anything else !! Trust me even the smaller guys get intimidated. I'm not that small myself and there is ALWAYS someone twice your size lifting heavier weights. At the end of the day no one cares ;)

I think its more cause every girl who entered the weights area that is half
    decent looking is eyed up relentlessly by all lads there!

Last time I looked Darts players were athletes, does that mean we should stand on one spot flexing and extending one arm?.

No Darts players are not Athletes, they are sports people...athlete suggest some physical prowess. You need to practice your sport, I know a guy thought he would run a marathon by training purely by HIIT, all supported by his personal trainer. Goes out on marathon day and his hips and knees are knackered half way cause he never practiced the movement.

THe point is the OP thinks all people should be training like him, being time efficient like him, people make him angry cause they are not doing what he thinks is best. have his goals and like doing what he likes doing. My point is that he should cop on and stop being that know it all guy in the gym we all hate.

Athlete:

Noun
    A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
    Synonyms
    sportsman

lol

Athlete:

Noun
    A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
    Synonyms
    sportsman

lol

now-it-all

pejorative One who makes it appear as if they're an expert on a subject while there are also signals (subtly or blatantly noticeable) that this person doesn't know very much on the subject or at least as much as they're acting like they do on the subject; pretending to have much knowledge on a subject matter
    (Note: there are countless ways to seem knowledgeable on a subject as by behaving correctively and correcting people all the time, giving unwanted advice, expressing opinions as fact, not accepting advice or information from others, etc., but when there are also indicators that one doesn't know what they're talking about, they're considered a know-it-all or engaging in know-it-all behavior)

BTW
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/athlete
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/sportsman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

now-it-all

*Know-it-all
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

OP, your rant is a bit silly to be fair. Not everyone will have the same goals as you, just as everyone is different outside the gym, so they will be inside it. Sure there's a guy earlier in this thread who uses the gym as a sanctuary from the wife!

There was a guy in my gym a few months ago going from one weight machine to the other using a crutch, he obviously had some condition or injury. Should he be looking to get ripped too then?!

You also don't need to be going hard at it all the time to see results. Also, you aren't even accounting for the fact that some people may also be active outside the gym too, engaged in sport / with clubs on other days of the week. So the gym could be just active recovery for them, or a supplement to other activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

riveratom wrote: »
    OP, your rant is a bit silly to be fair. Not everyone will have the same goals as you, just as everyone is different outside the gym, so they will be inside it. Sure there's a guy earlier in this thread who uses the gym as a sanctuary from the wife!

There was a guy in my gym a few months ago going from one weight machine to the other using a crutch, he obviously had some condition or injury. Should he be looking to get ripped too then?!

You also don't need to be going hard at it all the time to see results. Also, you aren't even accounting for the fact that some people may also be active outside the gym too, engaged in sport / with clubs on other days of the week. So the gym could be just active recovery for them, or a supplement to other activities.
    Agreed and you have no idea what people are recovering from (cancer, heart attack etc) or working towards.
    Do your own thing and be open to helping others if and when they ask

IdidIt wrote: »
    So you've joined the conversation about gym usage and progress to say you dislike gyms and "you've got plenty of other things to be doing" then lifting weights. Is one of those "things" commenting on topics you have very little or no interest in? I think I'd prefer to lift weights.

My post was about general fitness. Plenty of people just use the gym for this, and not to lose weight or to look like anything in particular.

And I will repeat, weights areas are stinky. Sorry sweaty guys, but that's why we don't like them. They reek of body odour.

aaakev wrote: »
    And my brain get enough of a workout in work so i dont read really but if i did they gym would be the last place id go to do it!

Clearly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement