Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My view on the gym and why people don't make any progress.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

pwurple wrote: »
    My post was about general fitness. Plenty of people just use the gym for this, and not to lose weight or to look like anything in particular.

And I will repeat, weights areas are stinky. Sorry sweaty guys, but that's why we don't like them. They reek of body odour.

Who is this we you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

My post was about general fitness. Plenty of people just use the gym for this, and not to lose weight or to look like anything in particular.

And I will repeat, weights areas are stinky. Sorry sweaty guys, but that's why we don't like them. They reek of body odour.

So EVERY girl doesn't go into the weights area in their gym because EVERY weights area is stinky? Wow! No sweeping generalisation there.

I can safely say I have yet to train in a weights area that smells of BO. Of course you might come across an individual, well into it, sweating profusely.

IMO you're much more likely to find "stinky" folk on the cardio machines/area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Would you not get more BO in a cardio area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

all gyms are "stinky" but the BO is mostly concentrated in the cardio area.
    The smell in the weight room is eggy protein induced farts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Clearly.

Care to explain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'd be concerned with picking up dirty man germs off the dumbbells and handles. You know you could actually end up pregnant. PREGNANT. if a man touches his bits, then the dumbbell, and you're in the same room and/or touch the dumbbell after him, you basically get fertilized.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tdoyle

I agree nobody knows why anyone else is attending the gym. I started as a way of getting back to health after battling cancer. I do what I can which to others might not look like much but hey its getting me back to normal living so I dont really care if anyone thinks I am not doing enough in the gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd be concerned with picking up dirty man germs off the dumbbells and handles. You know you could actually end up pregnant. PREGNANT. if a man touches his bits, then the dumbbell, and you're in the same room and/or touch the dumbbell after him, you basically get fertilized.

Happened someone I know actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

In fairness, I do stink up the weights to mark my territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Hanley wrote: »

My snatchin' so potent that in this small segment I made all of the ladies in the weight room pregnant

To paraphrase the flight of the conchords:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

This is HORRID sh1t€ to be coming out with.

I'm sorry that I might actually sweat in a gym during a WORKout.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭BV4

This is HORRID sh1t€ to be coming out with.

I'm sorry that I might actually sweat in a gym during a WORKout.

Yes but you are supposed to wipe down equipment once you have finished with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

BV4 wrote: »

The poster in question didn't mention anything about sweaty equipment.

BV4 wrote: »

What has that got to do with anything?

That's just plain old gym etiquette.
    It's a non-issue for the vast majority of gym goers.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

all gyms are "stinky" but the BO is mostly concentrated in the cardio area.
    The smell in the weight room is eggy protein induced farts

You forgot the smell of a huge amount of goddam win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

You should go in there and waft your rose-scented armpits around, freshen the place up a bit. ;-)

Big_G wrote: »
    You forgot the smell of a huge amount of goddam win.

eggy protein farts IS the smell of win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

john_cappa wrote: »
    Happened someone I know actually.

Happened to me to.

Hanley, we gotta talk.

srm23 wrote: »
    I think its more cause every girl who entered any room ever that is half
    decent looking is eyed up relentlessly by all lads there!

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

OP, thoughts on moths doing TRX classes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Moths don't get much out of TRX - tend to be distracted during the class and spend their time circling the gym lights instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Moths don't get much out of TRX - tend to be distracted during the class and spend their time circling the gym lights instead...

Weh weh weh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

I have never really done any TRX classes and in my opinion there's no replacement for free weights. In saying that if it makes people get out and do some form of resistance training then I'm all for it. I do see a few facebook friends that do it and they have seen good results but in most cases it's down to people improving their diets.

People will try anything to lose weight and if TRX is the next fad and it motivates people and they see results then great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

alphamule wrote: »

Sorry wasn't online for a bit due to weather, thanks a million for link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

Some women don't do weights etc . . Because of the body physique they are looking to achieve. You may prefer the look of a woman who uses these but everyone going to gym has their very own individual goals and ambitions that they want to achieve. The physique you referring to may not appeal to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

kittycati wrote: »
    Some women don't do weights etc . . Because of the body physique they are looking to achieve. You may prefer the look of a woman who uses these but everyone going to gym has their very own individual goals and ambitions that they want to achieve. The physique you referring to may not appeal to them.

Most women (and I am one) want to look 'toned'. In my experience the best way to achieve a 'toned' look is with heavy weights. Cardio just doesn't get the same results.

pemtca wrote: »
    Most women (and I am one) want to look 'toned'. In my experience the best way to achieve a 'toned' look is with heavy weights. Cardio just doesn't get the same results.

I said some. You referred to most. Just saying each for their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Exactly! A female mate of mine was competing in one of the Irish powerlifting events, placed high enough (got a medal for deadlift I think) and she's as toned as it gets. I thought the 'cardio vs weights for toning' knowledge had spread around already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

I said some. You referred to most. Just saying each for their own :)
    Fair enough :) If you don't want to look 'toned' then stay far away from the weights!

Fair enough :) If you don't want to look 'toned' then stay far away from the weights!

Not talking about myself. First post from this thread spoke of what annoys him/her. I believe going to gym is personal thing and everyone goes for different reasons.

• Advertisement

Not talking about myself. First post from this thread spoke of what annoys him/her. I believe going to gym is personal thing and everyone goes for different reasons.

Was probably a rant / friendly advice to fellow gym goers. Lift weights get dates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Have to agree - let people do whatever they want.

When they need help or stop making progress THEN some intervention might be needed but honestly GETTING to the gym is half the battle for most.

The likes of Ben Dunnes etc hope most never ever show up hence the massive growth in smaller and limited member number gyms opening up for those that really want to make serious progress and actually get some decent instuction

True,
    BUT if you know what you're doing, and you don't mind a couple of restrictions when it comes to equipment (bumpers, platform, GHR etc), Ben Dunne gyms provide exceptional value.

BD's target market is the new years resolution. pay up in jan and go until February, never set foot in the place after that.
    its good tho, no line for the squat rack after feb first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

True,
    BUT if you know what you're doing, and you don't mind a couple of restrictions when it comes to equipment (bumpers, platform, GHR etc), Ben Dunne gyms provide exceptional value.

100% this. 3 years ago no one knew what ANY of that stuff was. Now you can't get a decent workout without it. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

BD's target market is the new years resolution. pay up in jan and go until February, never set foot in the place after that.
    its good tho, no line for the squat rack after feb first.

I read somewhere that 50% of people who join a gym on Jan 1st have stopped using it by the end of February. My 14 year experience of the same gym would suggest a much higher figure like 70 or 80%. As I see it most people who want to change their lifestyle would be better off not going anywhere near a gym as they won't stick with it.

True,
    agreed but its a bit of a pain in the arse when im programming for clients that train in ben Dunnes and i cant include something as simple as a Kettlebell swing.

A good friend of mine trains in the KCR one and loves it but says he gets strange looks when hes doing metcons with burpees, box jumps etc or anything that doesnt look like typical cardio or bodybuilding

Transform wrote: »
    agreed but its a bit of a pain in the arse when im programming for clients that train in ben Dunnes and i cant include something as simple as a Kettlebell swing.

cant they buy their own kettle bells? they are fairly cheap arent they?
    still about the 3rd of the cost of the whole year in ben dunnes.

or would a 20kg plate or dumbbell not suffice?
    A good friend of mine trains in the KCR one and loves it but says he gets strange looks when hes doing metcons with burpees, box jumps etc or anything that doesnt look like typical cardio or bodybuilding
    pff, let them look. as the thread has proved you can't make an assumption as to what someone is doing by looking.

Ive looked at a few people in the gym, usually I am trying to copy their form or see if I can repeat what they are doing later. or I could just be staring into space hoping the pain in my quads isnt terminal.

I think the main thing in the gym is that people will look, shut them out and get on with it, or interact with them and find out why they are looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had the same when doing burpees in Jervis Street, even had people trying to copy me and doing a very bad job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

KTRIC wrote: »
    I had the same when doing burpees in Jervis Street, even had people trying to copy me and doing a very bad job :rolleyes:

Burpees are great, I hide in the studio though to do them though,

I wouldn`t be comfortable bursting them out on the main gym floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I have never really done any TRX classes and in my opinion there's no replacement for free weights. In saying that if it makes people get out and do some form of resistance training then I'm all for it. I do see a few facebook friends that do it and they have seen good results but in most cases it's down to people improving their diets.

People will try anything to lose weight and if TRX is the next fad and it motivates people and they see results then great.

I find TRX really good. I do it once a week. I use it only as a supplement to weight training.
    Its don't think its really a reistance workout it is more cardio than anything else. I find the class good because I will push myself and am usually ready to puke by the end.
    Its definitely something I couldn't do on my own as I would be constantly thinking about what to do next and taking that extra few seconds break but in a class there's someone shouting instructions at you and going straight from one exercise to another.
    For most of the things you do in TRX there are progressions of difficuly depending on your ability, strength and flexibility levels.
    Like with any class you can put in as much effort as you want. If you're not motivated to bust your arse then no one can force you.

cant they buy their own kettle bells? they are fairly cheap arent they?
    still about the 3rd of the cost of the whole year in ben dunnes.

or would a 20kg plate or dumbbell not suffice?

pff, let them look. as the thread has proved you can't make an assumption as to what someone is doing by looking.

Ive looked at a few people in the gym, usually I am trying to copy their form or see if I can repeat what they are doing later. or I could just be staring into space hoping the pain in my quads isnt terminal.

I think the main thing in the gym is that people will look, shut them out and get on with it, or interact with them and find out why they are looking.
    Yes i just get them to use a dumbbell but still its a complete pain as its a basic piece of equipment.

All my home training clients buy kettlebells and the ones that use Ben Dunnes have been told they cant bring in their own. One client was even told he couldnt skip anywhere on the gym floor!

I now work with more clients that train from home than train in a commercial gym and its not hard to see why

Yes i just get them to use a dumbbell but still its a complete pain as its a basic piece of equipment.

All my home training clients buy kettlebells and the ones that use Ben Dunnes have been told they cant bring in their own. One client was even told he couldnt skip anywhere on the gym floor!

I now work with more clients that train from home than train in a commercial gym and its not hard to see why

ben dunnes are trialing trx units in cherrywood, so they may invest in kettlebells in the next decade. fingers crossed for you.

not bringing your own gear is bollocks tho pretty out of order.
    not sure of skipping, never seen anyone doing it. and i can believe that unless there is a designated area to expect flying ropes then it could be seen as a hazard. though should be an area for it, its a pretty common thing to do id imagine.
    Id be willing to try to test if I can skip there but I cant skip anywhere so no point ;-)

Ive often heard about their maximum dumbbell is 30kgs because of insurance reasons, but I find that hard to believe, would be more inclined to say they have max 30kgs to dissuade hard core bodybuilders.

but again i'm happy, as its less people curling in my squat rack ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I have not read through the entire thread, only the first page. But just wondering what are the sites that ye recommend where one could get an 'education'.

I have not read through the entire thread, only the first page. But just wondering what are the sites that ye recommend where one could get an 'education'.

Boards.Ie

Well there are many places but if you look at the stickies on bodybuilding.com forums then you will learn plenty. Some other good websites are leangains.com or biolayne.com

ben dunnes are trialing trx units in cherrywood, so they may invest in kettlebells in the next decade. fingers crossed for you.

not bringing your own gear is bollocks tho pretty out of order.
    not sure of skipping, never seen anyone doing it. and i can believe that unless there is a designated area to expect flying ropes then it could be seen as a hazard. though should be an area for it, its a pretty common thing to do id imagine.
    Id be willing to try to test if I can skip there but I cant skip anywhere so no point ;-)

Ive often heard about their maximum dumbbell is 30kgs because of insurance reasons, but I find that hard to believe, would be more inclined to say they have max 30kgs to dissuade hard core bodybuilders.

but again i'm happy, as its less people curling in my squat rack ;-)
    the max dumbbell thing is NOT insurance and everything to do with bodybuilders etc as Ben Dunne was good friends with the boss of Crunch fitness (who i worked for many years ago) and he had the same policy - no heavy weights = less bodybuilders.

Commercial gyms are quick to buy new super expensive crosstainer/stepper/split treadmill type thingy yet anything that would actually involve coaching their members in e.g. foam rolling (actually putting in 20 grid foam rolls would be a start), kettlebell swings, mobility work based around a simple assessment of each and every member etc seems like too much hard work.

Most are all show and no go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Commercial gyms are quick to buy new super expensive crosstainer/stepper/split treadmill type thingy yet anything that would actually involve coaching their members in e.g. foam rolling (actually putting in 20 grid foam rolls would be a start), kettlebell swings, mobility work based around a simple assessment of each and every member etc seems like too much hard work.

I agree with this Dom, the gym I am in keep the Kettlebells locked away and only take them out for their 30 mins classes. Would love to do my own session with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

30kgs is the most that any staff member can lift without using a mechanical device. Anybody who has done a manual handling course at work should know this.

It's not a legal requirement but comes under best practice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If only there was some sort of long metal stick you could put circular weights on each end that would get you over the 30kg rule :) Or some method of controlling the 30kg dumbbell to increase your time under tension, something like doing to movement more slowly or more often?

yeah, I know dumbells are great for increasing core activation and accessory muscles during a movement, but most people I see lifting heavy dumbbells have poor form or are doing a limited range of movement. Single arm dumbbell rows are an ego exercise.

The lack of KB's in BD is a bummer, but people would dent the floor with them and they would need a ambulance on standby outside for all the injuries people do to themselves. This is the price of paying 3 euro a week for a gym. Apart from that the equipment is plentiful and excellent. And a little creativity with the equipment means you can achieve full body DOMS no problem.

Advertisement