Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Pharoahs 07-06-13 ko 19:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

aramush wrote: »
    Hoolahan pushed on a bit, Sweden will be there for the taking.

That's what i'm not sure of. Could you really have a midfield two of Hoolahan and McCarthy? Whelan's the best of a poor lot, but maybe he's needed to give the other two a platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    His record is precisely why he deserves respect. A leviathan of the game who delivered us major championship qualification for the first time in a decade aswell as being minutes away from a second. The treatment by the Irish media is disgraceful.

**** them tbh, it's actually amusing. When they put the squeeze on with McCarthy he resigned pronto. Kerr was sacked soon after they got the knives out and they were able to ridicule Staunton.

For the first time in decades they aren't getting their way. They are confronted with a man who doesn't give a **** what they think and is in the job to the end of his contract and they are turning ever more bitter and childish as a result. Zero credibility.
    And that is the very reason he is so good. He does his own thing and doesn't worry about reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Two failed footballers and a relic think they know best, surprise surprise!

John Giles was manager for long enough, how many championships did he qualify us for before he was sacked?

What does this have to do with anything? They are making obvious point tonight about people like cox being played out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Lennonist wrote: »
    He talks a lot of sense I reckon.

Sadlier bores me to tears. When he first came on the scene he was a breath fresh air - now, he's a poor mans Dunphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

John Giles was manager for long enough, how many championships did he qualify us for before he was sacked?

And you think you know better do ya. Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nolars wrote: »
    Long balls against the worst team in Europe is not good enuff. Cox on the wing when he is a striker and we have a premiership winger on the bench. And should of been more determined to score more than 3 goals against a bad team, it could all come down to goal difference and we are way behind.

Germany beat them by the same scoreline. They are not the worst team in Europe. Do you not realise we had chances to hit six and seven but MISSED THEM?

If the chances had been converted the haters would be singing a different tune. Blame faulty finishing on the players.
    Lennonist wrote:
    He's on more than 1 million a year. If he's not doing his job right - which he isn't - he is due criticism.

He is doing his job right. Two play-off finishes in two campaigns and we are right in the hunt to make it three from three. It's still in our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

His record is precisely why he deserves respect. A leviathan of the game who delivered us major championship qualification for the first time in a decade aswell as being minutes away from a second. The treatment by the Irish media is disgraceful.

**** them tbh, it's actually amusing. When they put the squeeze on with McCarthy he resigned pronto. Kerr was sacked soon after they got the knives out and they were able to ridicule Staunton.

For the first time in decades they aren't getting their way. They are confronted with a man who doesn't give a **** what they think and is in the job to the end of his contract and they are turning ever more bitter and childish as a result. Zero credibility.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    And that is the very reason he is so good. He does his own thing and doesn't worry about reaction.

I think you lads were watching different games/campaigns

You are right through.. Trapp doesn't give a toss. He is in it for the money, the FAI can't afford to sack him and both know it so he's happy to sit out the rest of the term frustrating not only the fans but the players fluking the occasional win against poor sides and claiming it to be some sort of tactical genius on his part that was responsible.

Leviathan is close.. dinosaur is better though. He may have been great in his day, but that day is long past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Thats all well and good but are you happy that Wes Hoolahan will more than likely be dropped for the Sweden game, with Whelan who couldn't hold a candle to him starting in his place? What about Simon Cox as a winger? Anyone with any interest in Irish soccer will know that these are comical decisions, it doesn't take €1million a year to figure that out.

Thats all well and good but are you happy that Wes Hoolahan will more than likely be dropped for the Sweden game, with Whelan who couldn't hold a candle to him starting in his place? What about Simon Cox as a winger? Anyone with any interest in Irish soccer will know that these are comical decisions, it doesn't take €1million a year to figure that out.

Trap explained this. Whelan is there for balance. Who do you want to see line up in midfield and attack against Sweden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Trap failed big time in his past international job with Italy,his man managment skills and player selection thus far have a lot to be desired.
    The panel are only calling it as it is.Had Paul Green been fit he would have started and Weso would have been on the bench.That to me is indefensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Trap explained this. Whelan is there for balance. Who do you want to see line up in midfield and attack against Sweden?
    Cox?I agree with Whelan but why is Cox playing out wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Whelan in the team for balance, Hoolahan wins more balls back. I thought that was suppose to be whelans job according to trap.

Don't be fooled by this bullsh***e, Sweden will be there for the taking in Dublin as Austria proved tonight and we proved it to a certain extent in Stockholm. For me, I would go with McCarthy and Hoolahan would be pushing on, McClean on the left and McGeady on the right. Long and Keane up front.

But I could probably tell you now that Whelan and McCarthy will start against Sweden along with Cox on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

good game by hoolahan tonight. Pity we didn't get more goals, pity we aren't second position and pity we don't play better football.

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Cox?I agree with Whelan but why is Cox playing out wide?

Probably because the Faroes are no-hopers and he felt Cox offered more of a goal threat than McClean via his superior finishing ability.
    aramush wrote:
    Don't be fooled by this bullsh***e, Sweden will be there for the taking in Dublin as Austria proved tonight and we proved it to a certain extent in Stockholm. For me, I would go with McCarthy and Hoolahan would be pushing on, McClean on the left and McGeady on the right. Long and Keane up front.

But I could probably tell you now that Whelan and McCarthy will start against Sweden along with Cox on the right.

So against a Sweden team that got four goals in Germany you are going to leave McCarthy doing all the defensive duties on his own? Are you not concerned for a guy with the first name Zlatan maybe having a good bit of space afforded to him?

Hoolahan today got a yellow card pulling back a Faroes player who was cutting through the midfield at the time. This would happen more than once against a half-decent team which is why we would need two solid players in the centre to offer protection. This system kept a clean sheet in Sweden let's not forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Some top quality pre-match predictions in this thread tonight!

Probably because the Faroes are no-hopers and he felt Cox offered more of a goal threat than McClean via his superior finishing ability.

So against a Sweden team that got four goals in Germany you are going to leave McCarthy doing all the defensive duties on his own? Are you not concerned for a guy with the first name Zlatan maybe having a good bit of space afforded to him?

Hoolahan today got a yellow card pulling back a Faroes player who was cutting through the midfield at the time. This would happen more than once against a half-decent team which is why we would need two solid players in the centre to offer protection. This system kept a clean sheet in Sweden let's not forget.

We need to beat Sweden and we won't win it with Whelan in the team or Cox for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

What balance does Whelan bring to the Irish midfield? What's he doing that Wes can't do? Can anyone actually answer that?

We need to beat Sweden and we won't win it with Whelan in the team or Cox for that matter.

Whelan is in the team to make sure we don't lose it. I'm not a fan of him, but I see no better candidate to partner McCarthy in the centre at this moment in time.

The only realistic way to accommodate Hoolahan that I can see is to drop Keane and play Hoolahan off Long up top. I'm not saying this couldn't be effective, but I consider a team with Robbie Keane in it - Ireland's best finisher - having more of a chance to win. I don't like Keane up top on his own; I think Long does that job better. I think it has to come down to a toss-up between Keane and Hoolahan, and I would take Keane every time. Hoolahan can still be a good option in the final twenty to bring on. Cox as well.

I do believe we are going to beat Sweden in Dublin. The away game vs Austria is the one that worries me most but I think we can do it. I believe this group is still wide open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Bring back Steve Staunton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

He is doing his job right. Two play-off finishes in two campaigns and we are right in the hunt to make it three from three. It's still in our hands.

He's only still Irish manager because they couldn't afford to pay him off after the German defeat, if you don't know that, you know nothing. If by some miracle this set of players do manage to qualify, it's kudos to them, and I hope they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Bring back Steve Staunton

jiFfM.jpg

The best we will get from the Sweden game is a draw.There is no way that they are going to lose two in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I thought we might have a go when I saw the line-up but it was apparent pretty quickly that this was going to be the same old ****e that has been served up for the last 5 years.

**** off Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I thought we might have a go when I saw the line-up but it was apparent pretty quickly that this was going to be the same old ****e that has been served up for the last 5 years.

**** off Trap.

:confused:

• Advertisement

So, we drew with the mighty England, won 4 nil last week, 3 nil tonight, something tells me we could beat Spain on Tuesday and they would still be calling for trap to be sacked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Why are there always 2 side of the Robbie Keane debate, those who think he should start every game, and those who think he shouldn't be in the squad.

In my opinion, it is absolutely vital that we have Robbie in the squad every game. I also think he should be starting as 1 of a front 2 whenever we are the favourite, against a team we will have chances against. But for the games where we will be on the back foot for, the bigger games, the likes of Sweden next, I really think we would be far better off with Hoolahan behind Shane Long.

Forde
    Coleman--O'Shea--St.Ledger--Wilson
    McCarthy-Whelan
    Walters
    Hoolahan
    McClean
    Long

That team is capable of getting the job done against Sweden. I'm not a huge fan of Walters out wide, but because of how unforgivably ineffective Aiden McGeady is with the final ball (yes he got an assist tonight but against a competent side that doesn't get past the first man) and how hard Walters works he can do a job out there.

For the games against Kazakhstan/Faroes/Whoever where we are expecting to see the ball we should be playing Keano, he sniffs out goals the way no other striker does for us. He has mastered the art of the tap in and fair play to him for it. Should Long be injured or suspended I think we could go with Keane up top but that would discourage the long ball we have all become so fond of, so is unlikely.

Lay off Robbie Keane though, the man so many are having digs at absolutely loves pulling on the Green shirt, and tends to score more than his fair share when he does. "He only scored against ****e teams/He boosts his stats against the minnows/Blah blah blah" SO WHAT? Someone has to score against this lot, and tell me, if Keane was sitting by his pool in LA tonight would we have won 3-0? We have feck all options up front. As popular as Cox and Walters have become for their effort, neither is one you could count on to get on the scoresheet, then you have the likes of Sammon/Keogh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Just back from the game. Enjoyed it actually. Delighted for Robbie. Following Ireland since a kid and seen us only beat Luxembourg 2-1 and Malta 2-0 at home under Jack so 3-0 for us is ok. Seen a lot worse against small teams from us. I think we are well in the hunt for Brazil and at least the team is on a roll. We do punch above our weight and usually we are there or thereabouts. Look at Scotland ,Wales and N.I. who never get near... It's been a very good 10 days and lots of positives.
    COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

So, we drew with the mighty England, won 4 nil last week, 3 nil tonight, something tells me we could beat Spain on Tuesday and they would still be calling for trap to be sacked!

More to do with lying down against Germany and woeful tactics (yet again) against Austria....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im far from Traps biggest fan, but what were people expecting from game in Start of June.

We won 3-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

**** off Trap.

We were never going to get back the 8 Goals in the difference.

Main thing was a win tonight and hope for Austria to take points off Sweden who off a game in hand, both happened so fairly happy with the set of circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's easy to say things without clarifying them eh. Toothless England, playing against 10 men for the majority of the game and tonight against possibly the worst team in Europe.

If we qualify he should get a lot of credit, but it's not peoples fault that what they watch doesn't give them hope for that. If it gives you hope, fair enough.

Roll on now for the Spain game in New York on Wednesday morning 1am.Its on Setanta,not sure about Sky.
    James McCarthy promised Tardelli that he will travel for this.Will we get some bit of pride back after the Euro's,I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

with a bit of luck, trap might pick 4 defenders to go in with him.

Corholio wrote: »
    It's easy to say things without clarifying them eh. Toothless England, playing against 10 men for the majority of the game and tonight against possibly the worst team in Europe.

If we qualify he should get a lot of credit, but it's not peoples fault that what they watch doesn't give them hope for that. If it gives you hope, fair enough.
    Always excuses for when we win games.

People need to stop listening to the nonsense being sprouted by the media in the witch hunt all because they cannot understand his interviews.

Some of the questions that he has to put up with is an absolute disgrace.

Also remember trap gave Wesley his first competitive start tonight at 31, Stan, mick Mccarthy and Brian kerr never included him, yet trap gets all the abuse.

I cannot wait for Trap to be finally sacked so that mourinho can take us over and turn us into Spain.
    We have the players to do it, it's the mentality that is all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought the way team set out (the mindset) tonight was shocking, How are we playing the long ball against a team of part timers (who were also missing there 3 best players lets not forget)

It was a terrible game to watch, Yes we won 3-0 and fair play to Robbie for 3 predators finishs, but my god the lad could have had another 3 , I'm not going to beat Hoolahans drum any more than anyone else, But the comments again from Trap after the game are downright disrepectable to him and James Mccarthy saying that only one of them can play, wes won back more ball than Whelan does tonight or any other night :/ Can't understand how Whelan or Green or any of the rest of the clunkers still get in this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Decent result and fair play to Keane for the hattrick but a bit of perspective, it was the Faroes.

The mickey swinging and "I told you so" posts over Trap are pointless after a win like this, but by all means come back after a couple of wins over credible opposition in September.

Until then the jury is very much out for a lot of people as it was before the game, nothing changes off the back of a home win over the Faroe Islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We need 6 points in September still.

Nothing changed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

1 Manuel Neuer (GK)
    5 Mats Hummels
    6 Sami Khedira
    8 Mesut Özil
    11 Miroslav Klose
    13 Thomas Müller
    14 Holger Badstuber
    16 Philipp Lahm (C)
    17 Per Mertesacker
    19 Mario Götze
    21 Marco Reus

Contrary to the pure sh1te coming out of Giles, Dunphy and Sadlier (in particular) let's just examine this.

The Germans played the Faroes in September at the start of the season, fresh, with, lets face it, an unreal side. And overcame stubborn dogged defending to win 3-0.

We play them in June at the end of a long season and win 3-0.

I usually respect what Richie has to say but tonight was painful.

He said "imagine the result if Hoolohan was not in the side". You may as well say by that logic if Ozil was missing the Germans may have only won 2-0. Taking a key player out of the side doesnt always mean the result would have been worse. It's a lazy assumption. Liverpool have been brilliant without Suarez at times etc

Bottom line is this - Yes we could play far better. Yes we could/should have beaten them 4 or 5. And yes we hit too many hopeless long balls etc etc etc.

For all that, the Faroes have proved against better opposition than us that they can efficiently park the bus and keep scorelines down.

So the assumption we would have won 5 or 6 if we played good expansive football is totally misleading and unfair. Other teams have tried the expansive football and come away with similar or worse wins v this Bus-Park mob.

Bottom line we won 3-0 and we move on. Austrias goal difference is a complete irrelevance right now. That goose was long since cooked when they a) beat Faroes by 7 and b) since Germany peppered us.

Goal difference (compared to Austria) wont matter a jot to us.

What has to happen is a win against Sweden, that goal difference may well have relevance. If we beat them thats a 2 goal swing which puts us on a better goal difference. Then if results go as we think beyond that (draw v Austria, loss to Germany, win v Kazakhs), we may well end up joint 2nd with Sweden ultimately.

Anyway the permutations are for another day. For today we needed to win and not concede. 3-0 we move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I know its not all bad but its very frustrating to watch this overpaid clown continue to take us nowhere.

Why are we knocking it long against the Faroe Islands. Look at the side we played and still there was no evidence that we went out to control the game.

Am I alone in thinking this is tactically retarded. What is the end result. We get to Brazil and what then..

If we had a team of Requelemes, Rodonodos, Hagis & Valdaramas i think Trap would still send the team out to do the same thing.

edit : oh great, wonderfulllife is here.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I cannot wait for Trap to be finally sacked so that mourinho can take us over and turn us into Spain.

As much exaggeration as there is on the anti-Trap side, there's as much on the Pro-Trap one. Because they all think that eh?

A win is a win of course, but as unfair as it is to over nitpick over things, its equally as unfair to completely ignore the problems. Ill give Trap lots of credit if we qualify, but I wouldn't be the most optimistic despite the amazing 7 goals weve scored in last 2 game.

I know its not all bad but its very frustrating to watch this overpaid clown continue to take us nowhere.

Why are we knocking it long against the Faroe Islands. Look at the side we played and still there was no evidence that we went out to control the game.

Am I alone in thinking this is tactically retarded. What is the end result. We get to Brazil and what then..

If we had a team of Requelemes, Rodonodos, Hagis & Valdaramas i think Trap would still send the team out to do the same thing.

edit : oh great, wonderfulllife is here.....

Oh great you're talking nonsense again.

Fiorentina under Trap had Batistuta, Predrag Mijatovic, Rui Costa to name but 3 "ball players" and they played great stuff. On the deck.

I dont agree with his "system" for ireland or style of play, but he's chosen this specifically for us and it's not something he's done when given better quality players.

Giles wants Coleman and Wilson to drop deep and accept the ball from Forde. That's great and against the Faeroes could easily have been done. They dont have the fitness levels or desire to press that high so we could easily have built from the back. Plus they are so average we could have built like that all game.

Against the better sides, we're not good enough to do that. If we try build from the back against Sweden or Germany we'll be mullered simple as. Building from the back requires good passing ability, good fitness and good ball retention. We're not blessed in those areas. Not just us either , England , Scotland, Wales ditto to them.

He has a "system" in place and it would defeat the point of years of training the players in that way of playing to throw it out the window merely because the opposition is weak.

I dont agree with his style of play but if hes going to go that route, at least he's consistent with it. The only way we can gauge if he is consistently "wrong" with it is if we dont at least meet minimum expectations of 3rd place in group.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Who does Dunphy want to drop so that hoolahan starts. He can't play a two man midfield with McCarthy and hoolahan. He can't drop Keane or long after recent performances. Also dunphy said McGeady was shocking despite being our only creative force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Brady was missed tonight on the panel. No balance between them and that clown Dunphy looked half cut. Im not a big fan of Trap but it was a bit ott on the negatives. Saddlier of course has an agenda and wont let up until Trap is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Just a note lads, if the Faroe fudging Islands are able to adapt a 4-5-1 then we can as well.

Hoolahan has staked his claim for September, just a shame it will be at the expense of McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

andyman wrote: »
    Just a note lads, if the Faroe fudging Islands are able to adapt a 4-5-1 then we can as well.

Except the Faroese lad to be dropped to accommodate the new formation didn't have 59 goals for his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Typical comment from the Trap loyalists.

Nobody expects us to be a world power, but many of us are of the opinion we could do better without him. Is that okay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Typical comment from the Trap loyalists.

Nobody expects us to be a world power, but many of us are of the opinion we could do better without him. Is that okay?

So doing better would mean what? Qualifying as winners of groups? Beating Croatia, Spain and Italy??
    No manager in the world will get us to that point.

Advertisement