Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Bike 3-4K Budget Suzuki GSX650f?

• 06-06-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for advice on my first bike

6 Foot 3
    IBT done & A Learner permit obtained
    Quotes on 650 - circa 450 3PFT
    Purpose - leisure & comuteto work (have car too)

Was looking at a Suzuki 650 GSXF
    Did the IBT on a bandit, not very exciting but nice starter bike

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Bandits are a popular choice and are a good starter bike, lots of spare parts around too. I would also recommend a Honda Hornet but my pick of the lot would be an Yamaha FZ6 S2. Fast, comfortable with ABS and will tour anywhere with ease with great brakes and adjustable suspension. Will average around 40MPG+ and has a 19.5L tank.

Being as tall as you are you pretty much have your choice of bikes but smaller frame will be cramped. You could also look into the likes of the Vstrom 650 which are very comfortable and reliable and would be a great commuter bike.

Nice Bandit for sale on adverts at the moment very clean and 100%. (Not my bike in case you wondering, but have seen it and spotless)
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/suzuki/other-suzuki/suzuki-bandit-650s/3144436

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Aced_Up

My advice, don't spend that much on a first bike.

My first 'passing test' bike was a Thunderace... Cost me 1,500. Lasted 5 years without probs...

Loads of cheap bikes about.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I agree that that's too much to spend on your first bike. There are plenty of good Fazers, Bandits and Hornets out there for €1,500 - €1,700 which will serve you well for many years.

The more you spend the more it'll hurt when you drop her for the first time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

is that not a bit pricey considering the mileage wonda boy? Just asking your opinion as i've seen similar for much cheaper and am keeping my eye on these types of bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

bluefinger wrote: »
    is that not a bit pricey considering the mileage wonda boy? Just asking your opinion as i've seen similar for much cheaper and am keeping my eye on these types of bikes.

That's my bike, yes it's high mileage but that's down to it being used mainly as a commuter bike. Prices are always guidelines, I'd be open to serious offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Thanks for that RosieJoe. Am thinking of trading up when i can get the cash together so trying to get a handle on what to look out for, wouldn't normally touch a car with that mileage myself but am also a bit weary of some of the bikes with really low mileage so you can't win either way by the looks of it.

The Don wrote: »
    I agree that that's too much to spend on your first bike. There are plenty of good Fazers, Bandits and Hornets out there for €1,500 - €1,700 which will serve you well for many years.

The more you spend the more it'll hurt when you drop her for the first time :(

Well for my 1st bike I spent €4900 for a 09 fz6 with no experience at all...so dont agree with that statement. I never dropped it or done anything stupid THANK GOD.

And I sold it today and I am on the hunt for my new bike.

If you have the money get the bike you want and enjoy every minute of it....its such a pleasure to have a big sitting outside that puts a grin on your face everytime you see it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Well for my 1st bike I spent €4900 for a 09 fz6 with no experience at all...so dont agree with that statement. I never dropped it or done anything stupid THANK GOD.

And I sold it today and I am on the hunt for my new bike.

If you have the money get the bike you want and enjoy every minute of it....its such a pleasure to have a big sitting outside that puts a grin on your face everytime you see it. ;)

Happy days Gary. Enjoy the hunt for a new one.

bluefinger wrote: »
    Thanks for that RosieJoe. Am thinking of trading up when i can get the cash together so trying to get a handle on what to look out for, wouldn't normally touch a car with that mileage myself but am also a bit weary of some of the bikes with really low mileage so you can't win either way by the looks of it.

TBH and this is very important....If a bike is well looked after the milage is not a huge issue. I have seen some newer bikes in a desperate state from being driven hard and not a service in sight. 70,000 klm is slightly above average but nothing major. And the bike was well looked after.....

Judge the bike by the condition not the reg plate and the milage. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Hi,

Been on the look out since i started this,

Had a few shortlisted

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-fazer-fzs-600cc-for-sale/5345410

Price will come down a bit

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/fz6-yamaha/5234111

Pending sale - not really an option

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2009-yamaha-fazer-600-s2/5223028

Over budget but would knock a few euros off

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2007-yamaha-fazer-fz6/5179990

Lying up a few months & higher mileage than above

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Having had a FZ6 for nearly 2 yrs and just sold it I would go for the red one (last one).

The 1st one is too expensive by a long way and is the older S1 model (round clocks). The blue one in Carlow looks like it has never been washed never mind serviced, just dont like the look of it. The other two are S2 models and the red one looks like it was well looked after, dont worry about the mileage at all. Trust me they are an absolute cracker of a bike to start out on.....if you need someone to take a look at it with you give me a shout.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Having had a FZ6 for nearly 2 yrs and just sold it I would go for the red one (last one).

The 1st one is too expensive by a long way and is the older S1 model (round clocks). The blue one in Carlow looks like it has never been washed never mind serviced, just dont like the look of it. The other two are S2 models and the red one looks like it was well looked after, dont worry about the mileage at all. Trust me they are an absolute cracker of a bike to start out on.....if you need someone to take a look at it with you give me a shout.

Best of Luck.

Hi

Yes thought that on the carlow one alright! & the over priced s1's

The red one does have some surface rust on it, mirror arms are missing paint, the battery was flat, gold bolts (not mad on) - wasn't overly impressed with this - seller bought 6 months & never used - with a polish & tlc, it does tick boxes, with price it commands

Attached is a pic of thr areas of concern - you can see the rust on petrol cap in add

Should i be worried??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BrusselsSprout

My opinion is that you are quite tall for those motorbikes. Knees will hurt on long distance (well at least it does for me). If you are young enough then it might not matter though.
    If you have spend enough time on the bandit and did not feel tired in the knee, then fine with it.

Also if you have the money, I agree with wonda-boy, take one that you really like as you will get as much joy from riding it than from looking at it or taking care of it. I spent 4600 on my first bike and never fell / dropped the bike and I don't see any reason why you would. I think most people don't actually. You are buying it for pleasure so buy one that you are sure will bring that to you.

Last point, I am not sure but don't you think the FZ6 S2 is too powerful as a first bike (it is nearly 100 HP)? Around that power there is also the kawa Z750 or honda CB600 hornet as an alternative if you really want that power.
    I am on my first bike, a yamaha XJ6 (less than 80HP - enough for a first bike in my opinion), the engine is very linear and you won't have a bad surprise of sudden power peak. It rides well without choking or vibrating from 1,000 rpm up to the red line. Really happy with it and easy to pass the license test with it as the engine is so easy and forgiving at any speed/rev. Also it makes it easy to drive at low speed in the city. There is a naked white one that look in mint condition on http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/2009-yamaha-xj6-for-sale/3183233
    It is cheap as well and and in my opinion I would take that one instead of bike with rust for nearly 3,000!
    Again I am not in the opinion that you need the extra power of the FZ6 S2 but it is of course a matter of personal taste, if you want it and then take it! Don't go much over 100HP IMHO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

any idea will insurers insure me on a provisional on a 1200 bandit?????i'm 28,cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

The Don wrote: »
    The more you spend the more it'll hurt when you drop her for the first time

I second that notion :pac:

HamSambo wrote: »
    I second that notion :pac:

And the slower you ride the safer you will be when you hit an Artic Head on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

Not to derail the thread or anything but what attributes of a bike constitute "exciting"? I haven't been on bikes long enough to have a feel for anything other than my Bandit.

What is the progression?

Cheers,

Shane, The

The Shane wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread or anything but what attributes of a bike constitute "exciting"? I haven't been on bikes long enough to have a feel for anything other than my Bandit.

What is the progression?

Cheers,

Shane, The

Is your banit a 600/650???want to get one then do the test on it but not sure which one i need to do it on,should've done my test on a cbr250 before the rules changed

Thanks
    Corkboy

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

Bandit is a restricted 650. I did the test back before the change so I'm still in my two years. Does me fine though. Can't imagine wanting to go any faster than I do now.

The Shane wrote: »
    Bandit is a restricted 650. I did the test back before the change so I'm still in my two years. Does me fine though. Can't imagine wanting to go any faster than I do now.
    i'm looking for a bandit myself,love them,but need to know will a 650 get me the full A licence AFAIK a 600 wont do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's on the RSA website here (PDF) http://rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%203.pdf

For an unrestricted A licence you need to do the test on a bike of 595cc or over and 40kW or over. Bandit 600 should be fine (think it's 599cc) provided it's not been restricted.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    It's on the RSA website here (PDF) http://rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%203.pdf

For an unrestricted A licence you need to do the test on a bike of 595cc or over and 40kW or over. Bandit 600 should be fine (think it's 599cc) provided it's not been restricted.
    fantastic thanks for that,i much prefer the bandit 600,time to get one,thankfully i can avoid all the IBT modules

corkboy10 wrote: »
    thankfully i can avoid all the IBT modules

Don't waste the time of people who answered your question in good faith, by coming out with crap like this.

Scrap the cap!

Don't waste the time of people who answered your question in good faith, by coming out with crap like this.

ain't wasting no ones time already have a provisional licence that was issued in 2005,just need to apply for the test to get it re issued,drove bikes before FYI and since i had a provisional before the 2010 i dont need to do them and thats the RSA rules

Your old licence was restricted, so it'll be reissued as an A2 learner permit.

Scrap the cap!

Your old licence was restricted, so it'll be reissued as an A2 learner permit.

so i go about getting an A learner permit how???retaking the theory test is it???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

so i go about getting an A learner permit how???retaking the theory test is it???

No, you need to do the IBT to get an unrestricted A learner permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

RTFPDF, man. Bottom of the last page...

cantdecide wrote: »
    RTFPDF, man. Bottom of the last page...

looking for advice on biking issues nothing more nothing less,simples!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thread locked.

This discussion is going nowhere, and corkboy10 has closed his account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement