Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People with the heating on in the middle of summer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's almost at human comfort level and we're complaining it's too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

SHOVELLER wrote: »

In some Civil Service buildings the heat is on as usual this week.

What cutbacks?

That usage is balanced out by not having it on in November, when it's needed! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'd say they're burning rubbish. I see it around my way quite a bit during the summer months. Not elderly folk either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Saw someone in town yesterday with a scarf on! Reminds me of footballers wearing gloves and short sleeve jersies.

In some Civil Service buildings the heat is on as usual this week.

What cutbacks?

Public sector employees really must feel the cold so overheated are most of their working areas, was down the Social last year on a mild day the heat was
    clearly turned up to the max and a window was open to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

mike65 wrote: »
    Public sector employees really must feel the cold so overheated are most of their working areas, was down the Social last year on a mild day the heat was
    clearly turned up to the max and a window was open to compensate.

Dont you just love energy efficiency?:D

In my home place the oil stove is on almost everyday of the year regardless of temperature as my granny is constantly cold. The room is unbearably hot in winter a lot of the time never mind this time of year but we don't have a choice.
    mike65 wrote: »
    What's wrong with an immersion heater? Are there still houses without them? :eek:

Again up home we have an immersion and use it if we need to quickly heat the water during the day but the oil heating is set to come on every morning to heat the water so its handier and probably no more expensive to do the same winter and summer. The Oil also heats more water so will last for a few people having showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

20 degrees is unusually warm for Ireland; it is an absolute rarity - of course there will be people who find it too warm at times, especially when there's little or no air conditioning (because it's not needed most of the time).
    It's a matter of what you're used to. The fact that 20 degrees is no biggie in Spain, and probably kinda cold in Saudi, doesn't have any bearing on the fact that it's unusually warm in Ireland.
    Saying "Oh 20 degrees is really warm? Ha, you've obviously never been to South Africa" or wherever... is like saying to a South African person who finds a mild day here kinda nippy to get over themselves and consider that temperatures can hit below zero in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

They may be ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Shtanto wrote: »
    Could be that the house is north facing (+1) or they haven't aired the place out properly. Stale air doesn't heat very well. Bay windows is what you need there. South facing if possible.

Any evidence for your claim? I'm afraid that sounds like complete b0ll0cks to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

20 degrees is unusually warm for Ireland; it is an absolute rarity

In fairness, it's not rare at all. 20 would be hit fairly during the summer months in Ireland, just not usually with glorious sunshine accompanying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Meh... I light the fire every so often during the long summer months week. I live in a really old house and it can be fcuking nippy inside come evening time, even on the warmest of days. Also, birds tend to get into it quite a bit. There's a large rookery to the rear of my house and the chimney type means that it's difficult to cover it effectively.

I actually bought a small bag of coal in a shop earlier on and yer one behind the counter gave me a funny look and said something about it being ridiculous to light a fire at this time of year.

Mind your own fcuking business love.... is what I would have said to her if I had the balls.

In fairness, it's not rare at all. 20 would be hit fairly during the summer months in Ireland, just not usually with glorious sunshine accompanying it.
    Not the two summers prior to this.

I agree though that Irish summers are generally milder than given credit for, but 20 degrees in summers 2011/12 would have been a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jackie_1

One word "global warming" lol. But maybe they need heating on to heat the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

...should not complain about the heating bill ;)

Not the two summers prior to this.

Well, that makes those summers the exception. We've had a terrible string of summers, rain-wise, but 20 degrees is not unusual. And it should be noted that last summer at the weather station near my west of Ireland town, 25, 26, 28 and 24 degrees were recorded as daily maximum temperatures on 4 consecutive days in May, and that was in a washout summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ah April, you're such a buzz kill. I prefered when you were doing documentaries on the effects of radiation on baby turtles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My parents have the heating on today. Their house is old, has solid 2' thick walls, they live on a hill near the beach (always a breeze) and my dad is always cold. It's no one else's business. :rolleyes:

Some people do put on the heating simply for the sake of it though - I know these people! And they confuse "kinda dull" with "cold". Then they're baffled by their electricity/gas bills! And they wear scarves and jumpers/heavy jackets when it's not cold and winter is long over.
    I don't think anyone's criticising people who have health reasons for putting on the heating, or who actually need it at times because of the way their home is built. If I had no immersion, I'd have to put on the heating to heat the water.
    Well, that makes those summers the exception. We've had a terrible string of summers, rain-wise, but 20 degrees is not unusual. And it should be noted that last summer at the weather station near my west of Ireland town, 25, 26, 28 and 24 degrees were recorded as daily maximum temperatures on 4 consecutive days in May, and that was in a washout summer.
    Not disputing you but I'm amazed at those figures. I found that the last two summers were not just dull and rainy (which can still be mild/humid) but actually cold. Obviously not cold for winter/early spring but very much cold for summer! And I'm definitely not one of those always cold people. I remember putting on the heating on the August weekend year before last, due to no reason other than feeling really cold!

Speaking of heating on in summer, some f***er living near me had a patio heater on,and it was belching out thick black smoke like an exhaust.

I thought they were voting for a bleedin Pope .

[QUOTE=My name is URL;

Mind your own fcuking business love.... is what I would have said to her if I had the balls.[/QUOTE]

LOL, oh jesus, the tears ran down my face when I read that :) Too funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's nothing cosier than a glowing turf fire as the sun goes down on a clear summer's evening.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jake1 wrote: »
    Speaking of heating on in summer, some f***er living near me had a patio heater on,and it was belching out thick black smoke like an exhaust.

I thought they were voting for a bleedin Pope .

Perhaps they lit it as a tribute to the Celtic Tiger when every cnut had one on their decking.

There's nothing cosier than a glowing turf fire as the sun goes down on a clear summer's evening.:)
    If I had a fire now - windows all open and still warm - I'd pass out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I had a fire now - windows all open and still warm - I'd pass out.
    Just a wee warm fire, not a roaring one. More people catch cold in the summer than in the winter.*

*I have no factual data to back this up, but I don't care, it's probably true anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Maybe they burning rubbish in the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fishfarmer

I live in a caravan and don't pay for the electricity so I have the heating on at the moment because it gets cold once the sun goes low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

reminds me of people walking around in t-shirsts in winter and complaining they're cold 0o ..

My grandparents ALWAYS have the fire on. (and no, this isn't because they're old..it's a lifelong habit for them.)
    It's weird cause the fire isn't used for cooking and they have no backboiler....secret pyromaniacs?

My dad, if he has the money, will have heat or fire on regardless of weather..and subsequently, complain about it.. figure that one out.

__
    ANd to the poster that says this weather is pleasant, some places have 30'. Yes we know.

I was in HK one summer..and the weather was around 38'C..Stuffy, and unbearable.
    20 in direct sunlight is hot, get a bit of a cold wind and the it feels somewhat different. Add a warm wind and I'm ready to drop dead on the spot.
    People feel the heat differently. Give me 16 degrees any day.

Not disputing you but I'm amazed at those figures.

Last summer was very cold in general, but there was a number of scorching days in May. Those temps are the recorded maxima at that station for four consecutive days in late May.

I've given up on hot water as well now, icy cold would be best right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'm delighted with the weather because.of the Money that I am saving, I don't think I have lit the fire in nearly two weeks if not more.

As for hot water, I have an electric shower and when I am doing the dishes or washing the floor or whatever I just boil the kettle. So do most of the people I know. I haven't had a bath in years because the idea of turning in the immersion kills me.

The celtic tiger made people very wasteful I think, I was born in the 90's but unlike most people my age we still grew up fairly poor and didn't really get anything from the Celtic tiger. So I hate wasting anything water, electricity, food, money.

It's a bit nippy in the house in the evenings so at I went and put on a hoody and a pair of slippers and I am nice and cozy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement