Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunleer AC 4 Mile Road Race

Options
  • 06-06-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

Back now in it's third year and organised by Dunleer AC, the Dunleer 4 Mile Road Race is back and this year we are trying to make it bigger than ever!

Where: Dunleer Village
    When: Sunday July 14th 2013 @ 3pm
    Fee: 15 euro

Online Entry: www.runireland.ie

Entry also on the day at Dunleer Pavilion from 12:15-14:15, and the on the day price is 20 euro.

Prizes: In all usual categories with bonus for course records.

AAI permitted race, distance certified, chip timing. Lots and lots of refreshments and goodies available after the race in the Dunleer Pavilion! Great value club race.

Course profile here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/176811829

Last years thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79461981

Please post any queries here and I will try my best to answer them!

Also official facebook page here, please like!

https://www.facebook.com/Dunleer4MileRoadRace?fref=ts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Great race, passes my door so will be doing it again. Done it every year since its inception, hoping to get under 30 minutes this year but dont know if I will.

its a good course, not a massive amount of hills (one long one around 2 miles, another one at about 3).

Ill be wrecked though, working nights so wont get to bed until 09:00 Sunday morning, then up at about 14:00 to get ready :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thanks event and there will be plenty of goodies available after the race in the pavillion for you to get your strength back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Would urge all runners to support this event (especially club runners). There are not many 4 mile races in the year outside of Dunboyne, Raheny (BHAA) so this is a great race for a 4 mile blast or prep for a 10K. Great price for a good course & good feed. When the running craze dies down and the commercial races disappear, we will need races like this. Support the clubs. Dundalk has lost the Seatown 5K (after 25 years) this year as a lot of people now prefer to pay €25 plus for races with tshirts and gimicks. Rant over.

Some people have been having issues with signing up for the race on the runireland website so just to let people know, registration is also available on the precision timing website, just follow the link below.

http://precisiontiming.primo-solutions.co.uk/ps/event/Dunleer4Mile2013

We really hope to try and get as many people as possible to support this club race, and we're trying to convince runners from Dublin to venture up for the race as Dunleer is only 30 mins up the M1. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Registration on the runireland website is working fine now. Put myself through yesterday.

The field for the men's race is hotting up. Ireland's top steeplechaser, our very own Tomás Cotter, fresh from a fantastic result in the European team event, will be one of the favourites for the race this year after a fantastic season in the US. Defending champion, Mark Hoey, is back to his very best level, and speedster Darragh Greene, who recently ran 1:50 for the 800m will both be gunning for victory also. These three took the top positions last year, and it'll take a big performance by anyone else to split them.

Local interest in the event will be huge, with marathon legend, David Carrie, having close to 150 entries from his training group. And, most importantly, the quality of the cakes and buns is simply outstanding. A fantastic race, brilliant atmosphere and a spread to beat all spreads is guaranteed, for just €15. Get in there.

• Advertisement

From the Official Facebook page:

So the countdown has begun! Only two weeks now until the third running of the Dunleer 4 mile road race, entries are coming in fast and rumours of marathon baking sessions abound! Entry is only 15 euro and available through runireland or the precision timing website. Spread the word and we'll try and make this the biggest and best year so far!

Any queries just pop them on here and I'll try to answer them!

paid up for it today anyway. Was always going to do it, sorta forgot to sign up.
    Last year I did it in 31:30 or so, I would love to break 30 minutes but I dont think so. Training for the marathon has me slowed down, I cant run quicker than 8min per mile it seems.

Ill go normal in the first mile, inevitabley slow a slight amount in the 2nd with the hill, then for the next two and the down hills, Id hope to fly through them.

Anyone close by thinking of doing it, sign up. Its a quality race

event wrote: »
    paid up for it today anyway. Was always going to do it, sorta forgot to sign up.
    Last year I did it in 31:30 or so, I would love to break 30 minutes but I dont think so. Training for the marathon has me slowed down, I cant run quicker than 8min per mile it seems.

Ill go normal in the first mile, inevitabley slow a slight amount in the 2nd with the hill, then for the next two and the down hills, Id hope to fly through them.

Anyone close by thinking of doing it, sign up. Its a quality race

Good stuff! :)

I think it's the sort of course that you need to make hay on in the first two miles. I remember running it myself last year and hitting the first two miles very hard before the inevitable slow down for the 3rd mile. Then floored it for the last half a mile downhill! Hope the weather stays as good as it is today.

suppose its only a 4 mile, shouldnt really be holding much back.
    While ive been in the office all day, id say a day like that would be too warm for some people. No rain and Im happy

Just a gentle reminder than online entry closes on Friday, available through the runireland.com website and also through the precision timing website, only €15. Entry will be available for a limited time on the day and the price will be €20. We would try to encourage as many people as possible to sign up online to avail of the cheaper price! :)

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just a gentle reminder than online entry closes on Friday, available through the runireland.com website and also through the precision timing website, only €15. Entry will be available for a limited time on the day and the price will be €20. We would try to encourage as many people as possible to sign up online to avail of the cheaper price! :)

Not sure what way the boys are entering but we have at least 15 coming up to Dunleer for this. Will probably be the usual "enter on the day" job. I don't know the course but I am thinking even a downhill 4 mile would be tough in this weather. I was out for the month of June and only back 2 weeks so a wee bit off full fitness. Hope to run around 22.15 based on fitness and weather. Ran 17.06 for a club 5K last week so hopefully that brings me on a bit.

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Not sure what way the boys are entering but we have at least 15 coming up to Dunleer for this. Will probably be the usual "enter on the day" job. I don't know the course but I am thinking even a downhill 4 mile would be tough in this weather. I was out for the month of June and only back 2 weeks so a wee bit off full fitness. Hope to run around 22.15 based on fitness and weather. Ran 17.06 for a club 5K last week so hopefully that brings me on a bit.

Do you know Dunleer at all?

Do you know Dunleer at all?

Just from driving through it pre-motorway days and going to football matches in Lannleires pitch.

It starts pretty much at the Bank of Ireland. Head straight out of Dunleer on the old Dundalk road. End of that road, you go left (right would take ye to castlebellingham). Up there and you come to a roundabout, head left (right would be ardee/dromin). IN that road takes you in by the School and Glen Dimplex. All the way down there, and right, back up to the bank of ireland. Its a nice enough run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Course is not a tough one by any means. Here's the garmin profile for last year if anyone's interested. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/213915664

Most testing part is Mile 3, where its a gentle slope for about half a mile. There's a very short slope again on Mile 4, but you know that once you crest that, its downhill to the finish. First couple of miles are fast.

Yeah, event gave a good description of the course there. It's fast for the first two miles, a bit of a climb for about half a mile up the old road, then a downhill to the roundabout. Another short climb at about the three miles mark and then it's a long downhill the whole way to the finish. Not a lightning quick course but very fair, it was won in 19:40 the first year so not a slow course either. If any of your lads want to sign up online and save a few quid online reg is open until Friday, fair play to yous for coming down. I'm like yourself, haven't trained properly in about an month, if I can run four 6 minute miles I'll be very happy. I think everyone is a bit crocked at the minute, seems to be a bad year for injuries! 22.15 would be a very good run, wish I could run that after only two weeks training!

wish I could run that after only two weeks training

I did say "hope"

what time can the number be collected from on Sunday?

what time can the number be collected from on Sunday?

Numbers can be collected between 12:30-14:15 on Sunday at the Lannleire Pavillion! Race registration will also be available during the same times.

Update on Registration!

Online registration on the runireland website is closing tonight. Due to demand however online reg will still be available until 18:00 tomorrow evening on the PRECISION TIMING website at the lower fee of €15. Registration will still be available on the day between 12:30-14:15 at Lannleire Pavillion.

Looks like the great weather is going to last!

• Advertisement

FINAL RACE INSTRUCTIONS!

*The race begins at 3pm on the Main Street in Dunleer.

*Online Entry is open until midnight tonight on the precision
    timing website.

*On the day entry is available from 12:30-14:15 at the Lannleire Pavillion.

* Pre-registered athletes can also pick up their race numbers at the Lannleire Pavillion between 12:30-14:30.

* The Lannleire Pavillion is situated beside the Dunleer AC clubrooms (can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/maps/zojGz)

* Please allow at least 10 MINUTES to walk from the Pavillion to the race start!

* Parking is available at the Pavillion and at the Dunleer AC clubrooms, please follow the stewards instructions.

* Toilets are located at the Pavillion.

* Prize giving and refreshments will be served at the Pavillion after the race.

* There will be a water station on the course around the three mile mark. Due to the warm conditions please be aware of your hydration and consider carrying your own water if necessary.

* Smile at the finish line!

SEE YOU ALL TOMORROW! (Remember sunscreen!)

Well done to Dunleer AC yesterday. Great organisation, great feed and even had a lady with a hose spraying cold water on us. The weather was "too good". Anyway congrats and keep the flag for club races flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fleck

Well done to Dunleer AC yesterday. Great organisation, great feed and even had a lady with a hose spraying cold water on us. The weather was "too good". Anyway congrats and keep the flag for club races flying.

They should have run the race in the opposite direction, just so that the lady with the hose would have been in the last mile rather than the first, I would have paid for it at that stage.

Thanks to everyone who came out to support the race yesterday. We know it was tough and it was an absolute scorcher, we'll try to arrange for a cooler day next year! Full results are now available on precision timing.

Was a great run. Beat last years time, so happy with that. Weather was quite warm but what can you do. Wouldn't change the date, July is perfect imo. Good stewarding, plenty of water and fruit at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

Credit to Dunleer AC.
    Very well organised race and good value at €15
    Always good to see Athletic Clubs organise a good event and for it to be well supported,
    particulary by other club athletes.
    Club Athletes should always support these events ahead of the "private enterprise" races that seem to be
    "10 a penny" at the minute.

Advertisement