Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work experience

Options
  • 06-06-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Not sure if it's the right place for this thread. I am doing a digital web design course at the moment (Photoshop, dreamweaver, illustrator, basic HTML and css), and to complete it I need two weeks unpaid work placement with any web design company. Maybe somebody here knows any company who might take me in for two weeks unpaid work experience from the 1st of July? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I already sent a lot of emails, and most companies didn't even answer to me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

arcius wrote: »
    to complete it I need two weeks unpaid work placement with any web design company.

A friendly tip (not trying to be snotty):

When I read that, I hear "I need work experience but I don't want it"

Rephrasing it to "I would love the opportunity to have 2 weeks work placement in a <insert nice adjective here> web design company" sound much better imo.

A little enthusiasm goes a long way.

It's poor form that most companies didn't reply, however some companies get a lot of these mails.

There's a lot of startups down in the NDRC, Digital Hub, Wayra etc who I'm sure could help you out. Have you applied to any there?

What is your application email/cover letter like? Maybe it needs a little work.
    If you're not getting replies then change tactics. Try following up with a phone call.

Remember, enthusiasm! :)

Edit: This website may offer some tips http://www.studentguidewebdesign.com/category/internships/

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

KonFusion wrote: »
    A friendly tip (not trying to be snotty):

When I read that, I hear "I need work experience but I don't want it"

Rephrasing it to "I would love the opportunity to have 2 weeks work placement in a <insert nice adjective here> web design company" sound much better imo.

A little enthusiasm goes a long way.

It's poor form that most companies didn't reply, however some companies get a lot of these mails.

There's a lot of startups down in the NDRC, Digital Hub, Wayra etc who I'm sure could help you out. Have you applied to any there?

What is your application email/cover letter like? Maybe it needs a little work.
    If you're not getting replies then change tactics. Try following up with a phone call.

Remember, enthusiasm! :)
    Thank you for tip :) It's not just because I need it, it's more because I want to feel the atmosphere inside the web design company, see what do I need to learn, where I am strong and where I am poor. But after about 1.5 months of sending emails I just lost hope in finding work placement. That's why I am here. But thank you for your answer. Will try companies you mentioned. Thank you again.

Advertisement