Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Breaks ...

Options
  • 06-06-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Had an issue in work the other day. I had just been in the toilet. Upon my return a manager from another team shouted across the floor to me exactly how long I had just spent in the toilet & demanded that I get back to work, I was completely embarrassed by this. I escalated the issue to my manager who passed it onto the floor manager. I was told the person in question was spoken to and that they would apologise. Weeks later I never received an apology. Do I have any grounds for a bullying / harassment case?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

JMB88 wrote: »
    Had an issue in work the other day. I had just been in the toilet. Upon my return a manager from another team shouted across the floor to me exactly how long I had just spent in the toilet & demanded that I get back to work, I was completely embarrassed by this. I escalated the issue to my manager who passed it onto the floor manager. I was told the person in question was spoken to and that they would apologise. Weeks later I never received an apology. Do I have any grounds for a bullying / harassment case?

To be honest, I don't think you have a bullying or harassment case as these are usually defined as ongoing or continuous incidents. The other manager was being a bit of a dick, but there's probably not much else to do once your own manager has dealt with it, whether or not you get the apology.
    Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Omg...that is totally unprofessional.... You need to bring this up again?do you work in an office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

JMB88 wrote: »
    If you feel strongly enough to be considering further action, first port of call is your manager to find out why the mentioned apology never materialized.
    Personally I wouldn't even do that much, but it's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

grow a pair and tell them u were having a s***e

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    Omg...that is totally unprofessional.... You need to bring this up again?do you work in an office?

Yeah an open office where at least 10 other employees heard her shouting across the floor to me that I had just spent x minutes in the toilet and to get back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

well how long was it? Like if you were in there for an hour or something I could understand it but 5 minutes isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I'd be wondering what a manager of another team is doing if they have the time to record how long a member of another team is in the crapper!

totally unprofessional, and you should have received an apology if you were told you would get one, but at this stage I would just let sleeping dogs lie. Its been a few weeks, it's all blown over and if you raise it again it could end up becoming some big hoopla unneccessarily.

If you feel you must say something, perhaps just an informal word with your manager saying it would have been nice to have recevied the apology you were promised. But don't dwell on it or make a bigger deal of it than it is - the other manager got a talking to for their behaviour, so at least your own manager and the floor manager took your complaint seriously enough to have the other manager warned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

You are obviously still feeling the impact of this managers poor behavior.

As Ted said, time has passed and the most that you should do is remind your manager that you have not received an apology and that this makes you feel that your dignity at work is not respected by the other manager. It will do the other manager good to apologies and resolve the issue, I am sure that he is being criticized by other workers and an apology would go a long way to repairing the damage to his own reputation.

But, before you do that, be sure that there was not issue with a pattern of your own behavior, were your breaks, bathroom or otherwise of excessive duration, where there other time-management issues. If you do bring this up again the other manager may have issues with your behavior that he could raise with your manager.

So balance both sides and decide if you want to proceed.

It was inappropriate for the manager to shout, and since he/she isn't part of your team I guess it wasn't their business either, but I think you're pursuing the issue too far.

If you were so embarrassed then, it wont ameliorate it to make a huge deal about it now. The other manager got their talking to, so your point has been made. Forcing the apology wont actually accomplish anything, and may make you come across badly. You're entitled to insist on it, since it was promised to you, but I think it would be wiser to leave it be.

As for a bullying/harassment case, that's a world away from what happened here.

Advertisement