Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmony 300 and IR Receiver (Hama)

• 07-06-2013 7:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I bought a Hama r/c when I was getting my HTPC together and while it's not great, it performs its job.

My remote collection (TV, DVD, HTPC, Sat) was out of control though, so I got myself a nice Harmony 300 yesterday. Everything works fine except the HTPC. As a test yesterday, I used the "point HTPC remote at Harmony and press a button" method, and it worked fine, but doing that for every button on the Hama is going to be a pain.

Has anyone gone down the road with these 2 remotes and had a painless experience - most google searches find other HTPC remotes or Harmony remotes and start delving into config files which sounds even more time consuming with the tweaking and the rebooting and the hey-hey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I am using windows media center for movies and music and just set my harmony up via the harmony software and it works fine for my needs. Probably depends on how fancy you need things?

This might give you a rough idea: http://www.missingremote.com/guide/creating-htpc-activity-logitech-harmony-one

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Don't need fancy, at this point, I've reduced my remote to a glorified mouse - up, down, left, right, select. Tks for the link, myharmony looks quite different, but I'm guessing the concept is the same. Can you tell me what make and model you used for your remote on myharmony? I used Microsoft for make, and then just typed in MCE for model and selected whatever option came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

That remote looks exactly the same as this one. It's probably a generic product branded by different companies.

One of the reviews says to use the following for harmony...

Device: Media Center PC
    Manufacturer: ORTek
    Model: VRC-1100

Probably worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

pug_ wrote: »
    Probably worth a try.

Indeed it was. Not perfect (can't get back to Start screen apparently) but a lot closer than it was. Thanks :D

Advertisement