Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Breed Friendly Campsites

• 07-06-2013 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi, with the spell of good weather we are having myself and the wife were thinking on camping this weekend. We are having a hard time trying to find somewhere that his dog friendly or more specifically restricted breed friendly. We have a small staffy and would love to take her with us. Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably beach or lakeside if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Whispered has a staffy and brings him camping. You could try PMing her as she mightn't see this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Hello:)

We stayed at this campsite in Castlegregory with our white German Shepherd http://www.anchorcaravanpark.com/anchor_park.htm

The campsite is lovely and directly beside the beach with private access. Our woof loved it there and there was never anything said about him being a GSD, although we never mentioned it when booking him in either;). They seemed a very relaxed campsite and we met another couple who usually bring their white GSD there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

We stayed in Wavecrest Campsite with our 6 dogs and technically one of ours is on the restricted list (GSD x) but nothing was ever said. It's in Kerry, absolutely gorgeous
    http://www.wavecrestcamping.com/

I never knew there were camp sights unfriendly to Restricted breeds :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Never heard of this either?

So long as the dog is on leash and muzzled no law is being broken.

Personally I wouldn't mention the breed as so many people have "media images" of certain breeds and act completely inappropriately around them. If the campsite is dog friendly, I don't see the need of having to go through a discussion on breed types with someone who most likely never met the breed, but still has a major negative hang up on them because of tabloid journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Narsil wrote: »
    Hello:)

We stayed at this campsite in Castlegregory with our white German Shepherd http://www.anchorcaravanpark.com/anchor_park.htm

The campsite is lovely and directly beside the beach with private access. Our woof loved it there and there was never anything said about him being a GSD, although we never mentioned it when booking him in either;). They seemed a very relaxed campsite and we met another couple who usually bring their white GSD there too!

I've stayed there, albeit with terriers rather than a RB. It's a super campsite; you couldn't get closer to the beach. Some great restaurants around that area too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Probably a bit late for this weekend :o

We bring Phoe camping, we've only ever had problems once in a place called St Margarets Beach in Wexford. The lady who "greeted" us seemed to have an issue with dogs full stop despite me ringing to ask if they would be allowed. Before we even entered the site she had complained about me not picking up poo - Harley was still in the back of the car. She was very rude and snappy. We never went back and I would never recommend it to dog owners as we had spoken to others there who had similar issues with her.

I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a dog muzzled for that long, so I do think it's important to check. I would never ring and give the dog breed etc but usually fire off an email asking if they have size or breed restrictions. They usually write back saying that so long as they are kept on lead and are cleaned up after there is no problem. This is perfectly legal to my knowledge, as it's private land. So long as the landowner gives you permission you're ok to have them without their muzzle. (although I am so careful because I'd hate there to be an incident where my RB might have a bit of a row with another dog and then get all RB' banned from the site!)

Actons Beach camping in Clifden - really REALLY highly recommend. Seriously thinking of going back for a week in September. The dogs loved it and it is one of the nicest camp spots we've been. Probably as close to wild camping as you're likely to get with all the facilities you want. http://www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com/

Beirnes of Battlebridge is another nice spot. It's a bit busier with a pub on site and caravans, but the camp spot is right by the river, very pretty. We used to go here with another couple, my 2 (staffy and staffy cross) and their 4 rotties. Never an eyelid batted. However, there was a woods right beside it where we used to bring them walking which has now been cut down. Still a good spot, but it is a pity for the dog owners. http://www.battlebridgecaravanandcamping.ie/

We've been to Hidden Valley http://www.irelandholidaypark.com/ and River Valley in Wicklow, River Valley has an adult only camping area, although this wasn't there the last time we visited. It should be a huge advantage for this place as the only issue we had was the fact it's very family friendly and so we were surrounded by kids so the dogs found it very hard to relax. http://www.rivervalleypark.ie/

Last weekend we stayed in a lovely little site near Athy. It's only a 20 min drive from our house. Very quiet even on the bank hol weekend. We did have issues with local dogs loose in the site though. In fairness to the owners they came straight down when I rang them to say that they were causing problems (humping poor Phoe). They came back during the night though and woke us at 4am peeking in through the fly net after squeezing in under the outer skin of the tent :D Nothing really around it, it's on a main road so no walking spots in walking distance. You'd have to drive a bit. http://www.accommodationathy.com/

That's all I can think of for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Great thread, me and OH can't afford a sunny holiday this year, and babysitting the mutt has always been an issue, so this might be something to look into!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

We three (mammy, daddy and Hugo) are just back from Doolin, Co. Clare. Between Lahinch and Fanore. The staff and facilities at Nagles were just top drawer. And I never even knew the place existed!!!

http://www.doolincamping.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Lough Key Forest Park, near Boyle has a great campsite that accepts dogs and we've never had any issues with RB dogs. Great place to walk to the dogs as well. http://www.loughkey.ie/camping-and-caravan-park/introduction.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The Trading Post in Ballaghkeen, Wexford is lovely and quiet and they were very dog friendly, we don't have RB dogs but there was no interest paid to what they were, leash at all times and quiet after 11pm were the only stated rules that applied so I'd be surprised if it was an issue. Downside, it's a countryside campsite about 6km from the nearest beach and the roads are too narrow to comfortably walk a dog on, so it's car everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

We were down in Carne Beach, near Rosslare at the weekend camping with the dogs and had no problems. They are tons of dogs around the place, saw no problems, bar a bit of barking at each other.

I have never been in such a large site - it was HUGE, but the camping part is right up at the back and is really quiet and lovely. They are hundreds of those big caravans (can't think of the right name), some of the them have decking around them :rolleyes:

All the permanent ones are down near the front, and the motor homes, camper vans, caravans, people camping are up at the back.

We went to Our Lady's Island for a walk with the dogs, very early Sat morning and it was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Hey all, thanks for all the above. These are all great suggestions. In the end we didn't go camping that weekend as the campsite we chose told us our dog was "dangerous". I think we will definitely look to try out http://www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com/ . It looks great.

Can anyone please recommend a campsite that will accept dogs including a RB around Thurles, Roscrea, Thurles or Portlaoise?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Can anyone please recommend a campsite that will accept dogs including a RB around Thurles, Roscrea, Thurles or Portlaoise?

We use www.camping-ireland.ie
    And have a booklet and the phone app.

Having used 3 campsites this year, none have asked the breed - just simply said... Usual rules apply. Dogs on lead at all times. I mean I'm a dog owner and even I couldn't say what's on the RB list for definite. Huskies have gotten alot of bad press recently, and no one has passed comment at us.

So long as your dogs are well behaved and on lead, I can't see how the RB issue would come into it. But then again, I'm not a RB owner so could just be ignorant of all that goes with owning one.

Thanks Hooked I have emailed a place to ask if they accept dogs.

Until lately I haven't had any hassle with kennels etc for her but hit a brick wall with two kennels that weren't happy that I was putting a staffie and a yorkie in one kennel. Since that I guess I was more aware that it might be a problem.

Thanks Hooked I have emailed a place to ask if they accept dogs.

Until lately I haven't had any hassle with kennels etc for her but hit a brick wall with two kennels that weren't happy that I was putting a staffie and a yorkie in one kennel. Since that I guess I was more aware that it might be a problem.

That's the thing. At a kennel - they're looking after your dogs. In a campsite, you're responsible. We put up one of those wind breakers, have a longish bungee and Hugo is pretty much out of sight, out of mind.

And I was only asked once 'what kind of dog' is it when enquiring about accommodation. To which I replied... One with 4 legs and a tail. I hate these 'labels' people put on dogs. It's the owners that should have a restricted list.

This past weekend, a tiny white fluffy bichon was left run riot down our end of the campsite, I passed it during a toilet break (right in the middle of a tent pitch) and it ran around our tent and when Hugo went to 'play' with it - the owner nearly had a fit.

My response... 'Take it up with the campsite owner. And be sure to explain why your dog was off lead. You might also want to clean up the present it left on pitch G before you do.' Last I saw of them. Rant over.

Oh ya I know there is a massive difference. You just wouldnt know, if parents seen her they could complain about her even though she wouldnt touch a hair on the kids head and would be on a lean/in her crate all the time.

I have emailed and said we have one medium and one small dog so waiting on a reply.

Oh ya I know there is a massive difference. You just wouldnt know, if parents seen her they could complain about her even though she wouldnt touch a hair on the kids head and would be on a lean/in her crate all the time.

I have emailed and said we have one medium and one small dog so waiting on a reply.

I'm at home feeding his lordship and the camping Ireland guide has one listing in roscrea, streamstown? Is that it?

They allow dogs. Campers kitchen. Games room and FREE showers.
    Tel: 0505 21519

Email: info@tipperarycaravanpark.com

Ya that's the one, thanks I never even noticed the dog part. :-D

• Advertisement

Ya that's the one, thanks I never even noticed the dog part. :-D

I'm looking at the brochure as opposed to the website. They have little icons for each place. So far I've only found one site that doesnt allow dogs. Must plan our next trip!

Perfect thanks again. We just bought a tent so must get a copy of that brochure!

Perfect thanks again. We just bought a tent so must get a copy of that brochure!

My dad picked it up at a camper van sales place in Tipperary for me. And just to let everyone know... Only 4 campsites in the whole country DON'T allow dogs.

Happy camping!

Hooked wrote: »
    So long as your dogs are well behaved and on lead, I can't see how the RB issue would come into it. But then again, I'm not a RB owner so could just be ignorant of all that goes with owning one.

With some of the dogs you might be ok, but staffies and rotties in particular are instantly recognizable to most people as on the list. Thankfully the majority of people have more sense now and it is pretty rare you run into problems, but when you do, the site owners are well within their rights to ask you to leave or insist you keep your dog muzzled. I would prefer to check in advance rather than risk going somewhere and being turned away.

The RB issue unfortunately can come up where you'd least expect it. Dog friendly doesn't always mean friendly to all dogs. It's a shame, but it can be an issue for some.

You say there are only 4 who don't allow dogs, some do allow dogs but not during high season. It's always worth checking. I know it might seem excessive, and it probably is, but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Theres some poor person " camped" at the entrance to the beach at Malahids -they couldn't have picked a more public spot -EVERYONE that wants to walk down to the beach at high tide has to clamber over their ropes & there is a dog in there going BERZERK. Let's hope they're in there too -it's only a thin sheet of nylon after all!

Whispered wrote: »
    Last weekend we stayed in a lovely little site near Athy. It's only a 20 min drive from our house. Very quiet even on the bank hol weekend. We did have issues with local dogs loose in the site though. In fairness to the owners they came straight down when I rang them to say that they were causing problems (humping poor Phoe). They came back during the night though and woke us at 4am peeking in through the fly net after squeezing in under the outer skin of the tent :D Nothing really around it, it's on a main road so no walking spots in walking distance. You'd have to drive a bit. http://www.accommodationathy.com/

We were back here again last night, and again had to drop the dogs home. This site has a serious issue with loose dogs. They seem to belong to the neighbour, the owner of the site dropped them home and assured us that she had promised to keep them in. They were back ten minutes later and stayed around all night. There is also the houses own dog who, while very very sweet, would have driven my two mad by hanging around. Still think this is a nice place to go, but unless your dog is great with others I wouldn't recommend bringing them there.

There is also the self appointed site police woman to contend with. She came down to complain about us speeding around the site (we had pulled in about 3 hours previously and not moved the car since) and that the man on the site next to us was concerned for his kids (this was a lie, she hadn't been speaking to him), she was also complaining about the dust on the road whenever a car drove past her caravan (we had driven the other way around, not near her caravan). The person who had driven down to us was actually the owner of the site, there to pick up the stray dogs. When I advised her to speak to her landlady rather than us, seeing as how it was her she was complaining about, she looked a bit shocked. Then she started to question me about my dogs, do they roam, do they get out of their crates, do they have enough water, enough shade, had we walked them yet etc. Only for the fact she was elderly I wouldn't have entertained her at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I stayed in that site in Athy a few years ago and had problems with a Golden Lab that belonged to the site owners. The dog was friendly enough but was off the lead and always coming over sniffing about and my dog was going nuts as he as tied up.

The Lab also stole our ball, shakes fist;)

We were here yesterday.

http://www.morriscastlestrand.com/

VERY highly recommended. No bother with the dogs (besides another guest approaching the crate, with their dog and my two acting like asses because they felt threatened). Miles and miles and MILES of beach. Decent facilities. €20 for 2 adults and a tent. I'd imagine it's full of kids during the holidays, but management was very honest about that and recommended when we should and shouldn't come if we wanted peace and quiet. Can't wait to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Whispered wrote: »
    We were here yesterday.

http://www.morriscastlestrand.com/

VERY highly recommended. No bother with the dogs (besides another guest approaching the crate, with their dog and my two acting like asses because they felt threatened). Miles and miles and MILES of beach. Decent facilities. €20 for 2 adults and a tent. I'd imagine it's full of kids during the holidays, but management was very honest about that and recommended when we should and shouldn't come if we wanted peace and quiet. Can't wait to go back.

And, how wet did you get, did you float out of the tent?:P

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    And, how wet did you get, did you float out of the tent?:P

No - we cheated. :cool:

Advertisement