Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loyal VW customer (Jack Powell, 100yo)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

ah right - its a marketing exercise by VW but at end of day its good to see a fella of that age still knocking about, independently i may add, and has obviously had a lifelong interest in motors that still continues - fair play i think (to him) - i was a fan of older VW models up till say mid-90's, not so much the newer stuff - but I must say that only on Boards could, whats on the surface of it, a good news story degenerate into a slagging match about how reliable or how rubbish one of the most established marques is. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Anan1 wrote: »
    Which part of 'make of that what you will!' are you having trouble with? :)

I'm interested to hear what you made of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm interested to hear what you made of it. :D
    I'd say that the guy had a big hang up about reliability. During his formative years the Beetle was simple (aircooled), and generally bulletproof. In spite of buying what was probably the most reliable car available at the time, he still wanted it to be always new and always under warranty - vet or not, i'd call that overkill. In spite of his many years of ownership, I think his experience was severely limited by his having always driven new cars. Finally, the force of habit in him was so strong as to resist the pull of Toyota in the 70s. In short, I think the whole thing tells us lots about him but little enough about VW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd say that the guy had a big hang up about reliability. During his formative years the Beetle was simple (aircooled), and generally bulletproof. In spite of buying what was probably the most reliable car available at the time, he still wanted it to be always new and always under warranty - vet or not, i'd call that overkill. In spite of his many years of ownership, I think his experience was severely limited by his having always driven new cars. Finally, the force of habit in him was so strong as to resist the pull of Toyota in the 70s. In short, I think the whole thing tells us lots about him but little enough about VW. :)

Yep, that's a fair assessment I think.

I'm so used to seeing VW owners owning multiples that I didn't consider the numbers and possible turnover rate, if they were all bought in succession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

They only gave him a polo? Should have given him a phaeton :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They only gave him a polo? Should have given him a phaeton :P

VW don't sell the Phaeton any more. And from my reading (open to correction) he purchased the Polo, it wasn't given to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

VW don't sell the Phaeton any more. And from my reading (open to correction) he purchased the Polo, it wasn't given to him.

...as noticed with other 'famous' people before - giving them free stuff does nothing for the brand (I'm thining of Chris deBurgh and his free BeeEmm 7-series for example). But, if you get them to spend their own money on one, then that's a much better coup. Investment in the brand and all that......

Anyone can drive free stuff.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...as noticed with other 'famous' people before - giving them free stuff does nothing for the brand (I'm thining of Chris deBurgh and his free BeeEmm 7-series for example). But, if you get them to spend their own money on one, then that's a much better coup. Investment in the brand and all that......

Anyone can drive free stuff.

Still would have been a nice gesture for his loyalty to the brand though. It's not like he was buying fully-loaded Phaetons or A8's so not a huge outlay for VW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I was joking about the phaeton

Well from my reading he was "presented" with it.. meaning it was a gift

Its certainly worded like it was given to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Nice to see he kept things VAG, went for basic spec, plastic hub caps, no front fogs etc...

Its certainly worded like it was given to him.
    It's called advertorial. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

00833827 wrote: »
    the man is in good shape for 100 years

I presume he was serviced regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Still would have been a nice gesture for his loyalty to the brand though. It's not like he was buying fully-loaded Phaetons or A8's so not a huge outlay for VW :)
    Interestingly enough, it would take them probably 6 Polo's bought from him to recoup enough profit to give him a free one, but I'd say less than 3 A8's would return the price of a new one!
    The profit margin on the small yokes is tight enough, but the money making machines are the big tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It was a free car, mentioned on their Facebook page that vw gave it for free.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, it would take them probably 6 Polo's bought from him to recoup enough profit to give him a free one, but I'd say less than 3 A8's would return the price of a new one!
    The profit margin on the small yokes is tight enough, but the money making machines are the big tanks.

It's VW themselves that are funding it not the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's a bit sad if you ask me. Imagine eating porridge all your life and never try anything else. And for your 100th birthday, you get a porridge again, but not the one made with milk and some homey in it, but made with water and in microwave.

It's a bit sad if you ask me. Imagine eating porridge all your life and never try anything else. And for your 100th birthday, you get a porridge again, but not the one made with milk and some homey in it, but made with water and in microwave.

On the other hand why change if you like what you get and are happy with it. Changing for the sake of change is a bit pointless.

Its not like he was buying the same car all along, he was getting different models and many different versions of different models down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It's VW themselves that are funding it not the dealer.
    Exactly my point. VW make massive money on the expensive stuff, the dealer makes small enough margins. Even VW don't make massive money on Polo's, they're all gone so complicated that the R&D going in is quite a big amount even for small cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭alias no.9

41 cars in 60 years - make of that what you will!

My wifes uncle has had 3 in round about the same length of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Valetta wrote: »
    I presume he was serviced regularly.

HOWARD_frankie.jpg

On the other hand why change if you like what you get and are happy with it. Changing for the sake of change is a bit pointless.

Its not like he was buying the same car all along, he was getting different models and many different versions of different models down through the years.
    You're contradicting yourself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

From here:
    A vet from Co. Tipperary reached an important milestone in style this week when he received a brand new Volkswagen Polo from his local dealer.

Jack Powell celebrated his 100th birthday and was presented with his 41st Volkswagen passenger vehicle to celebrate this exceptional milestone. A loyal Volkswagen customer, 100-year-old Mr Powell purchased his first Volkswagen in 1953 and drove out of the showroom in his 41st vehicle, a new Polo.
    and
    “I had 13 consecutive Volkswagen Beetles, 11 Volkswagen Variants, two Golf GTis, four Jettas, four Golfs and two Volkswagen Polos amongst others.” Jack’s favourite Volkswagen was his first Golf GTi. “It often got me in trouble, because the trouble with the GTi was it couldn’t go slow. They were an amazing car. It had amazing acceleration.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

serfboard wrote: »
    From here:
    I posted this in a new thread but it got merged. Sorry for posting it - I didn't see it on the first page of the forum. It's five days old now! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

No worries, I merged it as I remembered the older thread.
    Hope Mr Powell is happy with his new motor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Jack Powell has died age 102

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I don't believe VW make hearses. Would be a fitting removal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

I don't believe VW make hearses. Would be a fitting removal.

A very very well known main dealer (not VW) in Kinsale used to call the original Beetle "coffins on wheels".

Advertisement