Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

• 07-06-2013 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Confident about this one!
    Lets hope it's one of the nice papers and that there isn't too much plant stuff!! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Have been freaking out over biology b/c getting a decent grade in it is part of my conditional offer but actually did a run through of a whole paper the other night, think it might be ok.
    Just hoping they leave enough options to avoid plants and microbiology.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Would I be setting myself up for bother if I ignore the carbon and nitrogen cycles? Can't get my head around them.

Also would rather leave out the whole thing about sieve plates and stuff in phloem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

NellyDean wrote: »
    Would I be setting myself up for bother if I ignore the carbon and nitrogen cycles? Can't get my head around them.

Also would rather leave out the whole thing about sieve plates and stuff in phloem..

Rather than learning them off, understand them. Just look at each thing and use your common sense as to how it would get into the air. :)
    If you are on about experiments (which I have yet to learn) you best do them all for a guaranteed 20%!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I'm actually quite looking forward to this I love biology :D

I was doing a practice paper the other day, 2008 and I swear it's the most beautiful paper I've ever done I'd love if we got something like that. There was like zero plant bio and the genetics question had a normal cross and linkage cross. Glorious stuff! :P

*Disclamer: I'm a bio nerd ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

I'm screwed for Biology, just cannot get my head around anything, and need an honour in it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Honestly if you are doing the ecology question i really think you should do the two cycles they haven't come up that often they could appear :) if you or a friend have revise wise for biology they are done out nicely in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I see a good few people don't like plants? i really wouldn't leave them out! they could give 2 plant short questions meaning you would have to do at least 1 and then they could do 1-2 long plant questions or mixed into a long question , if you know plants well it would be really handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Great thing about this exam is that timing shouldn't be an issue. Takes a bit of pressure off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Am I the only one who thinks that plants are relatively easy? Ridiculously boring, but simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

My dream subject for an A1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Juggling Maths P2 and Biology this weekend- hoping for a nice paper and it should be an A1 in the bag! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 garbanzo9

Dreading this exam, my teacher hasn't finished the course :/

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Biology predictions/guaranteed questions anyone? Really really stuck for this exam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

How do people study it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

One of the exams I have been looking forward to :) I hope it's as nice a paper as the ones we've gotten so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I hope it's a nice paper :) by far my favourite subject! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

I put this up somewhere in another post but they are great help for some of the sections on the course. Doesn't have everything on the course since the maker is American but most of it is in there. :)

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC3EED4C1D684D3ADF

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

anyone have either of the mock papers they could post up? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27 whateverusay

Can't wait to see the biology paper, it will b so relaxing after losing my A1 in maths today which puts some amount of stresson me to get590 points. If only they could all be like biology.....

Love love love Biology, it is my 2nd favourite behind Chemistry.
    I got an A2 in the mocks but we didn't have Carbon or Nitrogen cycle covered (both came up as the ecology part c)
    My teacher has just been calling me "The A1" the past few weeks more so than my name... No pressure then! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    Biology predictions/guaranteed questions anyone? Really really stuck for this exam :(

Respiration, Genetics/DNA, Ecology, Photosynthesis, experiments, enzymes, and the cell.

Ohhhh I am wrecked!
    Now I am off to study my beloved Biology! This should be one of my A1 subjects... If not shall be devastated!
    As I'm sure all of you are aware there are sometimes really nice papers and sometimes really/Moderately tougher papers. The SEC haven't been so bad just yet... Hopefully this trends continues! :P

haha the amount of people looking for the A1.. :P

The curve will never allow me to get it now..

haha the amount of people looking for the A1.. :P

The curve will never allow me to get it now..

well what do you generally get? I usually, actually always get A's but I just hope I do this time!
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: A1 A1 A1 A1 A1
    ^ not enough A's for all the pacmans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'd be fairly good at biology, getting B's .. Would love if we got a good paper, and I got a B1 or I would die for an A2! :P
    I'm hoping it's just a full photosynthesis question, they're easier IMO.

I'll be answering the genetics and ecology questions also. The part of genetics that often screws me over (and more than likely will come up this year) are those sex-linked crosses ... I don't mind the normal crosses, but I can't understand the sex-linked ones :(

well what do you generally get? I usually, actually always get A's but I just hope I do this time!
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: A1 A1 A1 A1 A1
    ^ not enough A's for all the pacmans!
    Used to get always As til this year, I think it's the plants :(

My teacher predicted me an A1 though, and reckons I'll get it

Got a B2 in the mock but barely studied , still don't expect the A to be honest. Such a broad course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Have always counted this as one of my A1 subjects. However, I haven't touched it since the pres in which I just scrapped the 90%. Still have to learn human reproduction and much of the plants section before the exam. It's a pity it shares a day with Irish Paper 2 which requires loads of learning. If it was a lone exam day, I'd feel much more confident about it. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I used get E's :pac: This is what you are all in competition with ;) Watch out :P

Used to get always As til this year, I think it's the plants :(

My teacher predicted me an A1 though, and reckons I'll get it

Got a B2 in the mock but barely studied , still don't expect the A to be honest. Such a broad course.

well don't give up! fight for every last mark!!!!

• Advertisement

Jade. wrote: »
    I used get E's :pac: This is what you are all in competition with ;) Watch out :P

Well to be honest, you're just not working so! It doesn't require much understanding at all, certainly not to pass! Sure if you learned your definitions you would pass!! Just go study it right now! (and sorry, i'm not being mean it's just I hate to see someone fail such a doable subject......... :D

Advertisement